I've used my protein allowance and I'm going out for dinner tonight, argh help me please ?

Options
Can anyone suggest the type of meal I should be looking for with no protein allowance left. I had a salmon salad for lunch, which has used up my protein allowance. I'm going to a large shopping centre with lots of restaurants with my best friend, and was going to grab a bite to eat when there.
I literally have no clue what I could possible have, I do not want to fall off the wagon the rest time going out.

Thank you in advance

Sam xxx

Replies

• Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    1.) What is your goal
    2.) Why only protein, how are your calories looking?
    3.) What is your goal, (OTHER THAN PROTEIN)?
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Of all the things to go over, Protein is really not a big deal. MFP sets the protein goal so low and really you probably want more than it suggests. Besides, as long as your calories are in line, going over on protein isn't going to hurt you.
  • OrangeBabelfish
    OrangeBabelfish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed off - what is your protein allowance? It seems very odd that one salmon salad is all of your allowance?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is o.k. to go over your protein unless you have a special case.
  • jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about going over on protein as long as you're not going over on calories.

Enjoy your dinner out!
  • asyrinsgirl
    asyrinsgirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    More protein isn't gonna hurt you. Watch out for the carb bombs at restaurants.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Of all the things to go over, Protein is really not a big deal. MFP sets the protein goal so low and really you probably want more than it suggests. Besides, as long as your calories are in line, going over on protein isn't going to hurt you.

This. Go have fun.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    it's OK to go over on protein unless you have some medical reason restricting the amount, enjoy your dinner...
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My aim is to go way over my protein allotment...protein is good
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    For a healthy diet and not to lose lean muscle mass while dieting protein intake should be approximately 1 gram per lean muscle. Not per body weight. Go to IIFYM.com and use their calculators to find out the correct amount of protein to eat while dieting. When I first started here my protein was so low per MFP guidelines that I lost my hair, nails became brittle and I lost a lot of muscle mass. Over the past 1.5 years Ive learned to up protein and lift weights to get my muscle back. My daily goal is 135 grams per day. I'm 5'6" and 126 pounds. I try to aim for 1-1.5 grams per lean muscle a day. Most days I go over easily. Yesterday I consumed close to 160 grams while staying within my caloric allotment.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said - why are you worried about going over on protein? Most people on here would love to be over for the day.

Nonetheless, here's some low calorie AND low protein options when eating out:

Napkins
    Ice
    Straws
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some special, unknown reason, you should probably consider the protein goal as a MINIMUM, not a cap.
  • amoods05
    amoods05 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would always try to stay under or meet goal for carbs/fat but I never thought going over on protein was a bad thing. protein helps you feel full. I wouldn't worry so much about it as long as you're having lots of lean protein.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP protein allowance is quite low, you could easily double or triple it and lower the carbs.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    The protein goals on here are quite low. With that said, you should look at them as a minimum goal not a maximum goal (as long as you don't have a medical condition dictating otherwise).
  • calivandewoestyne
    Options
    angel7472 wrote: »
    For a healthy diet and not to lose lean muscle mass while dieting protein intake should be approximately 1 gram per lean muscle. Not per body weight. Go to IIFYM.com and use their calculators to find out the correct amount of protein to eat while dieting. When I first started here my protein was so low per MFP guidelines that I lost my hair, nails became brittle and I lost a lot of muscle mass. Over the past 1.5 years Ive learned to up protein and lift weights to get my muscle back. My daily goal is 135 grams per day. I'm 5'6" and 126 pounds. I try to aim for 1-1.5 grams per lean muscle a day. Most days I go over easily. Yesterday I consumed close to 160 grams while staying within my caloric allotment.
    ^ Yes!!
    I am also 5'6 and my protein is set for 144, and I try to, at the very least, hit that number everyday. I am new to IIFYM, but it seems to be working like a dream.
    MFP Calculates all of their numbers to be VERY low. I dont know what your Macros/Calorie Limits are set at, but if you are going by MFP's guidelines, you are more that likely fine to eat more protein today, and reset your numbers when you get home later. Definitely check out IIFYM.com
    As for "not wanting to fall off the wagon" if you reassess your goals in MFP, and change your Macronutrients so your body is running at its optimal rate, it will be a lot easier to stay 'on' the wagon. Its easier to fall off track when youre not getting enough fats, carbs, and protein.
    Not sure of your goals or anything - but I know that my trainer educated me about Macros and adjusted my numbers and I have never been so positive and excited about my weightloss journey.
    Good luck!! :smile:
  • sjb1uk
    sjb1uk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you for all your help. Im new to MFP and calorie & nutrition counting, I've always tried and failed at traditional slimming clubs. So i've been trying to stick to, with difficulty at times to the allocated amounts on MFP.

I currently have about 7 1/2 stone to lose, so only at the beginning of my journey and I'm desperate to get it right.

Still have 900 kcal's left for the day so hopefully should find something for that. Or alternatively I could go with MCIBTY suggestion and stick to napkins, straws & ice lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    The protein goals on here are quite low. With that said, you should look at them as a minimum goal not a maximum goal (as long as you don't have a medical condition dictating otherwise).

Exactly this.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would just find something that fits your remaining calories and not worry about the protein goal.