Looking for a recipe-Cauliflower pizza

Options

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've been making it for about a year now. Couple times a month. Really like it. Using a Cast Iron Pan that is already hot helps.

Last week, I made some cauliflower cheddar soup, so I made the basic cauliflower crust pizza. Didn't put any toppings on it; just sliced it and used it as bread to dip in the soup.

Another healthy recipe I have tried is Lasagna. Mixed the mozarella cheese with finely chopped caulifower. 50/50. Instead of pasta I used Zuchinni, slice lengthwise on a Mandolin.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    jennab0o wrote: »
    http://onelittleproject.com/cauliflower-pizza-crust/

I've tried a number of different cauliflower recipes (cauliflower grilled cheese, pizza, garlic sticks) and it is definitely a yummy alternative to carbs. The texture takes a little getting used to, though.

So, my comments were deleted, although I'm not sure why.

My point was, why bother eating something that you have to get used to? Why not just eat pizza if you like it? In moderation, of course.

Why does it matter what someone other than you eats or wants to eat?

Because it's setting up the mindset that certain foods are "bad", when that's simply not true. No one needs an unhealthy relationship with food. That leads to worse problems, like ED's.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I've been making it for about a year now. Couple times a month. Really like it. Using a Cast Iron Pan that is already hot helps.

Last week, I made some cauliflower cheddar soup, so I made the basic cauliflower crust pizza. Didn't put any toppings on it; just sliced it and used it as bread to dip in the soup.

Another healthy recipe I have tried is Lasagna. Mixed the mozarella cheese with finely chopped caulifower. 50/50. Instead of pasta I used Zuchinni, slice lengthwise on a Mandolin.

Side Note. I add 4 oz of Goat Cheese to my Cauliflower Pizza "Dough" for consistency.

• Smash_Dub
    Smash_Dub Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

I've tried a number of different cauliflower recipes (cauliflower grilled cheese, pizza, garlic sticks) and it is definitely a yummy alternative to carbs. The texture takes a little getting used to, though.

My point was, why bother eating something that you have to get used to? Why not just eat pizza if you like it? In moderation, of course.

Because it's setting up the mindset that certain foods are "bad", when that's simply not true. No one needs an unhealthy relationship with food. That leads to worse problems, like ED's.

LOL - trying to find a healthy alternative to something does not automatically set up an eating disorder. Indulge some of the time, eat healthy foods the rest of the time. Cauliflower crust (dont even have to call it pizza crust, call it what you want) is not ruining anyone's life. It's probably doing the opposite. And some people LIKE it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

beucae the whole thought process of "bad" foods sets people up for an unhealthy relationship with food.

You can eat real pizza and make it a little less calorie dense...

The OP says nothing about anything being bad. She said she wanted to try a lower carb alternative and wanted help finding the recipe. Is that bad?

unless she has an un identified medical condition..low carb is totally unnecessary..

and the point is you can have a lower calorie option with thin crust and x y z topping..

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Who suggested pizza is bad in this thread? Perhaps we should wonder about the relationship with food of those that think cauliflower is bad. B)
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    my recipe for cauliflower pizza is as follows:

1 dough ball from trader joes (or your local grocer)
    3 links of extra hot italian sausage, browned and chopped
    1/2 bacon, browned and chopped
    1 cup italian 4-cheese blend from trader joes
    1/8 cup of FINELY chopped cauliflower
    1 TBS of minced garlic
    1/4 cup of caramelized yellow onion, chopped
    2/3 cup of your favorite pasta sauce

roll out the dough
    spread minced garlic on as a base layer
    top with as much sauce as preferred
    add chopped sausage and bacon and onion
    cover liberally with 4-cheese blend
    sprinkle half the pizza VERY lightly with finely chopped cauliflower
    bake at 420 til brown and bubbly

options: grated parmesan cheese and/or balsamic reduction, crushed red pepper

Once done, do I just throw away the half that has the cauliflower?

• Smash_Dub
    Options

beucae the whole thought process of "bad" foods sets people up for an unhealthy relationship with food.

The OP says nothing about anything being bad. She said she wanted to try a lower carb alternative and wanted help finding the recipe. Is that bad?

unless she has an un identified medical condition..low carb is totally unnecessary..

and the point is you can have a lower calorie option with thin crust and x y z topping..

People can do this and that, but why should you dictate that? Why do you care if someone wants an alternative to something?

Also- it's a matter of opinion. To you, cauliflower crust isnt pizza crust. To me, thin crust isnt pizza crust, I hate thin crust, it's like a cracker. But I dont care if you eat it, because its YOUR alternative, and YOU like it.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

1/2 bacon, browned and chopped
    1 TBS of minced garlic

roll out the dough
    sprinkle half the pizza VERY lightly with finely chopped cauliflower

Once done, do I just throw away the half that has the cauliflower?

if you dont want to pick off the cauliflower, yes.

the half without the cauliflower is my half.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

Who suggested pizza is bad in this thread? Perhaps we should wonder about the relationship with food of those that think cauliflower is bad. B)

Who suggested cauliflower is bad in this thread?

See, that works both ways. ;)
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    For some people pizza is a trigger food. My bf gets it occasionally but tends to eat a whole pizza to himself. For me I cant have chocolate or tortilla chips in the house or I binge eat. What works for you may not work for another.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

So it's unnecessary. So what? Pizza is unnecessary. So now everyone that eats in a manner that is unnecessary has a bad relationship with food?? Geez, ever hear of personal preference?
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Do you all wring your cauliflower out in a tea towel/cheese cloth? I tried that the first time I made it but it still turned out soft. But I baked it sans parchment on an Airbake pan. It was tasty but I would not consider it a success overall. :neutral_face:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Smash_Dub wrote: »

People can do this and that, but why should you dictate that? Why do you care if someone wants an alternative to something?

Also- it's a matter of opinion. To you, cauliflower crust isnt pizza crust. To me, thin crust isnt pizza crust, I hate thin crust, it's like a cracker. But I dont care if you eat it, because its YOUR alternative, and YOU like it.

wait so using thin crust makes pizza not pizza, really?

I am not dictating anything.

I gave an option to the OP to have REAL pizza that has lower calories.

and if you substitute something for something then how does the thing that you are substituting for still remain the same? Is that even possible?

• ndj1979
    Options

So it's unnecessary. So what? Pizza is unnecessary. So now everyone that eats in a manner that is unnecessary has a bad relationship with food?? Geez, ever hear of personal preference?

ummm no, where did I say that..

I said that viewing foods as "bad" sets one up for an unhealthy relationship with food.

then answer this - if these foods are not viewed as "bad" then why do you need to substitute cauliflower for them???? This question is asked assuming no medical condition.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I said that viewing foods as "bad" sets one up for an unhealthy relationship with food.

then answer this - if these foods are not viewed as "bad" then why do you need to substitute cauliflower for them???? This question is asked assuming no medical condition.

If you are talking about the OP, that was already answered (in the OP). Lower calorie and lower carb.

Why is your suggestion of thinner crust any less "bad" than hers of cauliflower crust??
  • da_bears1008
    Options

1/2 lb. bacon, browned and chopped
    1 TBS of minced garlic

roll out the dough
    throw the chopped cauliflower in the garbage

FIFY

• ndj1979
    Options

If you are talking about the OP, that was already answered (in the OP). Lower calorie and lower carb.

Why is your suggestion of thinner crust any less "bad" than hers of cauliflower crust??

yes, and she never clarified why she wants to low carb...medical condition, just because, etc..

I am assuming she is taking the majority MFP view that carbs are somehow "bad", which they are not.

don't understand your question ...

thin crust is just way to get less calories..it is still made from wheat/dough/etc, so it is not a substitute....
  • Smash_Dub
    Options

There IS bad food! We dont need to get all philosophical.... there is horrible, greasy, unhealthy food. And it's totally ok to eat it in moderation, youre right! But to say pizza isnt bad doesnt make sense.

And yes, you can substitute things and it's still the same thing. Hamburgers are beef. I eat turkey burgers. I still consider it a burger. But it's leaner, and I like it.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    so wait....you guys are making pizza with a mashed cauliflower crust?

i thought you just wanted a recipe for pizza with cauliflower on it.

i dont understand why anyone would do this.