I need to lose 50 by 40!

Options
Hello, my name is Shari, I've been overweight for many years now. I finally saw an obesity doctor and he directed me to this site, and so far I am excited to be on this journey, for once! Good luck to you all!

Replies

• ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hey Shari! Welcome. Congrats on making a start. Losing 50 is doable -- I have lost 25 and am on my way to losing the last 25. I will send a friend request and we can work together.
  • YllaCaspia
    YllaCaspia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Shari! My name is Sarah-Lou and like you I have a lot to lose - 64lbs in total. I used Weight Watchers before, but I really prefer this site.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard.
    I did a newbie help post which has links to lots of helpful info, including sexypants, accurate logging, goal setting (weight, calories, macros), motivation...

With 55 lb to lose, it would be reasonable that you aim for 1 lb per week for now. You might manage a bit more at first.
    When you get closer to goal, say 35-40 lb, that's going to slow, so 0.5 lb per week would be expected.
    Depending on when you're turning 40, losing all 55 lb by then might not be a realistic goal.

That being said, I've achieved 75 lb in the last year... but I started with 110 to lose.

51637601.png
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    What a great goal! My initial thought before I started was to loose 45 pounds by my 45th Birthday on Nov 11th. Since October 3rd of last year I have lost 32 of those pounds. It feels so good and MFP has been a really important tool to help me track. I have since changed my goals to mile stones like 20 lbs, 30 lbs, 50lbs, and so on, since I would have met my original goal in less than 5 months. I've got approx 156 total pounds to loose. Good luck to you! -Nancy
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place! My goal was to lose 50lbs and I'm doing it slowly but steadily, only 10lbs more to go. It's important to find a daily activity that keeps you interested. I've never been interested in running, but I do have a treadmill and get on it daily to watch Korean dramas. I also folk dance weekly and you can't underestimate the burn from a very vigorous housecleaning every week!
  • sharonreimer
    Options
    Thanks for all the wonderful words of encouragement, I started my new diet lifestyle on Tuesday the 13th and I am down six pounds already! I'm very excited to see some results.
  • Cantalope
    Cantalope Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I have about 40 to lose by 40. I feel ya girl!
  • aliu00
    aliu00 Posts: 61
    Options
    great start.
  • allisonr09
    Options
    Hey Sharon! I started a new nutrionional program 12 days ago and I'm down 8 pounds and 17 3/4 inches! You can do it too!
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Welcome aboard.
    I did a newbie help post which has links to lots of helpful info, including sexypants, accurate logging, goal setting (weight, calories, macros), motivation...

With 55 lb to lose, it would be reasonable that you aim for 1 lb per week for now. You might manage a bit more at first.
    When you get closer to goal, say 35-40 lb, that's going to slow, so 0.5 lb per week would be expected.
    Depending on when you're turning 40, losing all 55 lb by then might not be a realistic goal.

That being said, I've achieved 75 lb in the last year... but I started with 110 to lose.

51637601.png

Sexypants is particularly helpful. Like MKEgal said, depending on the time frame you are giving yourself, losing it all by 40 might not be possible, but don't let that discourage you. You don't want to lose too fast - in the long run, that's less sustainable. Slow and steady wins the race!