Looking for a recipe-Cauliflower pizza

Replies

• silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    skullshank wrote: »
    my recipe for cauliflower pizza is as follows:

1 dough ball from trader joes (or your local grocer)
    3 links of extra hot italian sausage, browned and chopped
    1/2 lb. bacon, browned and chopped
    1 cup italian 4-cheese blend from trader joes
    1/8 cup of FINELY chopped cauliflower
    1 TBS of minced garlic
    1/4 cup of caramelized yellow onion, chopped
    2/3 cup of your favorite pasta sauce

roll out the dough
    spread minced garlic on as a base layer
    top with as much sauce as preferred
    add chopped sausage and bacon and onion
    cover liberally with 4-cheese blend
    throw the chopped cauliflower in the garbage
    bake at 420 til brown and bubbly

options: grated parmesan cheese and/or balsamic reduction, crushed red pepper

FIFY

10/10 Would eat.
  • da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    edited January 2015
    Smash_Dub wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    jennab0o wrote: »
    http://onelittleproject.com/cauliflower-pizza-crust/

I've tried a number of different cauliflower recipes (cauliflower grilled cheese, pizza, garlic sticks) and it is definitely a yummy alternative to carbs. The texture takes a little getting used to, though.

So, my comments were deleted, although I'm not sure why.

My point was, why bother eating something that you have to get used to? Why not just eat pizza if you like it? In moderation, of course.

Why does it matter what someone other than you eats or wants to eat?

beucae the whole thought process of "bad" foods sets people up for an unhealthy relationship with food.

You can eat real pizza and make it a little less calorie dense...

The OP says nothing about anything being bad. She said she wanted to try a lower carb alternative and wanted help finding the recipe. Is that bad?

unless she has an un identified medical condition..low carb is totally unnecessary..

and the point is you can have a lower calorie option with thin crust and x y z topping..

So it's unnecessary. So what? Pizza is unnecessary. So now everyone that eats in a manner that is unnecessary has a bad relationship with food?? Geez, ever hear of personal preference?

ummm no, where did I say that..

I said that viewing foods as "bad" sets one up for an unhealthy relationship with food.

then answer this - if these foods are not viewed as "bad" then why do you need to substitute cauliflower for them???? This question is asked assuming no medical condition.

There IS bad food! We dont need to get all philosophical.... there is horrible, greasy, unhealthy food. And it's totally ok to eat it in moderation, youre right! But to say pizza isnt bad doesnt make sense.

And yes, you can substitute things and it's still the same thing. Hamburgers are beef. I eat turkey burgers. I still consider it a burger. But it's leaner, and I like it.

sooo beef is bad? what is it about pizza that is bad? It has carbs, fats and protein. If you slap them altogether that makes it a bad food?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

I've tried a number of different cauliflower recipes (cauliflower grilled cheese, pizza, garlic sticks) and it is definitely a yummy alternative to carbs. The texture takes a little getting used to, though.

My point was, why bother eating something that you have to get used to? Why not just eat pizza if you like it? In moderation, of course.

beucae the whole thought process of "bad" foods sets people up for an unhealthy relationship with food.

The OP says nothing about anything being bad. She said she wanted to try a lower carb alternative and wanted help finding the recipe. Is that bad?

unless she has an un identified medical condition..low carb is totally unnecessary..

and the point is you can have a lower calorie option with thin crust and x y z topping..

So it's unnecessary. So what? Pizza is unnecessary. So now everyone that eats in a manner that is unnecessary has a bad relationship with food?? Geez, ever hear of personal preference?

I said that viewing foods as "bad" sets one up for an unhealthy relationship with food.

then answer this - if these foods are not viewed as "bad" then why do you need to substitute cauliflower for them???? This question is asked assuming no medical condition.

There IS bad food! We dont need to get all philosophical.... there is horrible, greasy, unhealthy food. And it's totally ok to eat it in moderation, youre right! But to say pizza isnt bad doesnt make sense.

And yes, you can substitute things and it's still the same thing. Hamburgers are beef. I eat turkey burgers. I still consider it a burger. But it's leaner, and I like it.

actually no..there is no "bad" food..if you hit your macro/micro/calorie goal for the day and said day consists of hamburgers and ice cream then that is not bad...

• margieshoe
    margieshoe Posts: 20 Member
    Wow! Thanks for all the great responses. This site is awesome. I don't think any food is bad when eaten in moderation. I just wanted to try cauliflower crust because it sounded interesting and I like cauliflower. I thought this would be a great way to incorporate more vegetables into my diet. Carbs are not bad, i just prefer to try to get a lot of them from vegetable sources.
  • Smash_Dub
    Smash_Dub Posts: 22 Member

actually no..there is no "bad" food..if you hit your macro/micro/calorie goal for the day and said day consists of hamburgers and ice cream then that is not bad...

Then we can disagree. And bad food doesn't just equal calories or macros or daily limits. There is more to life than counting. Sometimes, "bad foods" make people feel like crap, or make them lethargic, or make them nauseous, or make their cholesterol go up, even while fitting into their daily counts.

Oh lawd, I'm arguing with people on their preference for trying to eat pizza, or veggie crackers, or whatevs. Let's just happily share recipes if someone asks for one without telling them it's wrong or horrible.

RAINBOWS, PEOPLE.
  • ndj1979

Then we can disagree. And bad food doesn't just equal calories or macros or daily limits. There is more to life than counting. Sometimes, "bad foods" make people feel like crap, or make them lethargic, or make them nauseous, or make their cholesterol go up, even while fitting into their daily counts.

Oh lawd, I'm arguing with people on their preference for trying to eat pizza, or veggie crackers, or whatevs. Let's just happily share recipes if someone asks for one without telling them it's wrong or horrible.

RAINBOWS, PEOPLE.

LOL ...

Ok - my diary is open and I have no problem with my cholesterol or any other health markers and my diet regularly consists of ice cream, hamburgers, pizza, etc...

I said nothing about counting.

I said that if you hit your calorie and micro/macro goals then there is no bad food. Context and dosage is what matter, not food type/choice.
  • Smash_Dub
    Smash_Dub Posts: 22 Member

RAINBOWS, PEOPLE.

LOL ...

Ok - my diary is open and I have no problem with my cholesterol or any other health markers and my diet regularly consists of ice cream, hamburgers, pizza, etc...

I said that if you hit your calorie and micro/macro goals then there is no bad food. Context and dosage is what matter, not food type/choice.

YOU may not have problems, and that's freakin awesome! But many people do, unfortunately. I would just like to be able to ask for and share recipes without people jumping down my throat, or the OP's throat, that theyre wrong or horrible.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    edited January 2015
    LOL ...

There's "food someone wants to eat" and "food someone doesn't want to eat". Their reasons are their own and shouldn't really be anyone else's business.
  • ndj1979

RAINBOWS, PEOPLE.

LOL ...

YOU may not have problems, and that's freakin awesome! But many people do, unfortunately. I would just like to be able to ask for and share recipes without people jumping down my throat, or the OP's throat, that theyre wrong or horrible.

if people make the correct choices with respect to overall diet and dosage then they can eat the same foods and have overall health < this assumes no underlying medial condition
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    edited January 2015

Turkey is also very high in sodium. Every "substitute" has it's trade offs in regards to macros and micros. Does that mean a turkey burger is inherently healthier because it's lower in fat/calories, even though it's loaded with sodium? Hell no. Eat both in moderation and all will be well.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    margieshoe wrote: »
    Hi Everyone. I am new to the site and still learning how to navigate. Friday night is always pizza night at our house so I'm looking for a lower calorie,lower carb alternative. I saw a recipe for cauliflower pizza yesterday and cant seem to find it again. Can someone re-post or diret me on how to search for this. Thanks

Just quoting the OPs completely innocent, polite question as a reminder how ridiculous this conversation has gotten.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that question. She isn't vilifying any foods. Just wanted a recipe for cauliflower crust.
  • margieshoe
    margieshoe Posts: 20 Member
    tedrickp wrote: »
    Hi Everyone. I am new to the site and still learning how to navigate. Friday night is always pizza night at our house so I'm looking for a lower calorie,lower carb alternative. I saw a recipe for cauliflower pizza yesterday and cant seem to find it again. Can someone re-post or diret me on how to search for this. Thanks

Just quoting the OPs completely innocent, polite question as a reminder how ridiculous this conversation has gotten.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that question. She isn't vilifying any foods. Just wanted a recipe for cauliflower crust.

Thanks again for the recipe. We are looking forward to trying it tonight. Will let you know how it turns out. Looking forward to getting back into a healthier lifestyle in 2015. I already have more energy after just once week of tracking food and being more cognizant of what I am eating.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    my recipe for cauliflower pizza is as follows:

1 dough ball from trader joes (or your local grocer)
    3 links of extra hot italian sausage, browned and chopped
    1/2 bacon, browned and chopped
    1 cup italian 4-cheese blend from trader joes
    1/8 cup of FINELY chopped cauliflower
    1 TBS of minced garlic
    1/4 cup of caramelized yellow onion, chopped
    2/3 cup of your favorite pasta sauce

roll out the dough
    spread minced garlic on as a base layer
    top with as much sauce as preferred
    add chopped sausage and bacon and onion
    cover liberally with 4-cheese blend
    sprinkle half the pizza VERY lightly with finely chopped cauliflower
    bake at 420 til brown and bubbly

options: grated parmesan cheese and/or balsamic reduction, crushed red pepper

Once done, do I just throw away the half that has the cauliflower?

if you dont want to pick off the cauliflower, yes.

the half without the cauliflower is my half.

giphy.gif

• ndj1979
    Wow! Thanks for all the great responses. This site is awesome. I don't think any food is bad when eaten in moderation. I just wanted to try cauliflower crust because it sounded interesting and I like cauliflower. I thought this would be a great way to incorporate more vegetables into my diet. Carbs are not bad, i just prefer to try to get a lot of them from vegetable sources.

thanks for clarifying OP ...
  • jasonmh630

THIS is all most of us wanted to know... Thanks for the clarification. For your sake, I hope you like it. :)
  • To make cauliflower crust, typically, I will blend 1/2 head of cauliflower with 1 egg and red pepper. bake in oven till it begins to brown, then top with red sauce and toppings. i go for spinach, grilled chicken or steak, fresh peppers, tomatoes, veggies; skip the cheese.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member

Back in to say....OP, you are a good sport!
  • I made these the other night and they were delicious! And I usually don't LOVE cauliflower...

http://ifoodreal.com/cauliflower-breadsticks-recipe/
  • jasonmh630
    edited January 2015
    To make cauliflower crust, typically, I will blend 1/2 head of cauliflower with 1 egg and red pepper. bake in oven till it begins to brown, then top with red sauce and toppings. i go for spinach, grilled chicken or steak, fresh peppers, tomatoes, veggies; skip the cheese.

Let's not get started on pizza without cheese lol... That's a basic part of the dish.
  • kismea
    kismea Posts: 45 Member
    Groovy thanks for the recipe, I have been curious to try it. I LOVE baked cauli, the taste is delicious - so hopefully that holds true for this :D