C25K

Options
124»

Replies

• jissellc
    jissellc Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just finish the programme, many people don't do the 5Km in 30 miutes by the end.

Once you've finished that, you can move onto a longer distance plan and you'll find that your speed improves as a result of that.

Thank you!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My first 5K at the end of C25K was about 36 minutes. I did some consolidation using NHS C25K+ which brought that down to 31 minutes. When I started a 10K plan I came down to about 27 minutes, and then in half marathon training brought my 5K down to 24 minutes.
  • jissellc
    Options
    My first 5K at the end of C25K was about 36 minutes. I did some consolidation using NHS C25K+ which brought that down to 31 minutes. When I started a 10K plan I came down to about 27 minutes, and then in half marathon training brought my 5K down to 24 minutes.

24 mins?! Wow that's super fast! I hope to be that fast. That's very inspiring. How long did it take you to train for the 10k and half marathon?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    C25K took me 12 weeks, I then used C25K+ for about 6 weeks, 10K took me another 12 weeks, although I was regularly running 13Km by the end of that when I raced it. HM training plan was 16 weeks and I'd done the full 21.1 about three times by the end of that.

All in it took me about 18 months from starting C25K to running a half marathon.
  • jissellc
    Options
    C25K took me 12 weeks, I then used C25K+ for about 6 weeks, 10K took me another 12 weeks, although I was regularly running 13Km by the end of that when I raced it. HM training plan was 16 weeks and I'd done the full 21.1 about three times by the end of that.

All in it took me about 18 months from starting C25K to running a half marathon.

That's amazing! I hope I can get to that point. Do you have any breathing pattern when running? I find that if I try to control my breathing (ex. Inhale 3 exhale 2) it makes me feel more tired and I focus too much on it. I just listen to music and go.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Generally I just go for in, followed by out, then repeat ;)
  • jissellc
    Options
    I just started equipment program this week. I've never been a strong runner so I'm hoping that this program helps with that. It's not that I hate running, I just get so fatigued quickly. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that this helps with that.

Your endurance/stamina will get better trust me. I remember when I first started, the 90 secs seemed like torture. Now I can run 25 mins. Keep going!
  • jissellc
    Options
    Generally I just go for in, followed by out, then repeat ;)

haha me too. I just know some people have said it's better to have a breathing pattern when it comes to running. I try not to over think it.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3. Sometimes I use the treadmill at the gym (after strength training), but my husband and I ran around the neighborhood the other day, and that was more fun. :-) I don't know if I will ever become a runner, but I thought I should give it a fair try, and as I'm at kind of a plateau with my weight loss, I thought changing up my exercise might help. My husband is a runner, and wants me to run a 5K with him. So that's the plan. He likes just normal races, but I'm going to sign us up for one of those fun themed ones. And I'm going to wear this shirt.
  • jissellc
    Options
    azwen wrote: »
    I'm on week 3. Sometimes I use the treadmill at the gym (after strength training), but my husband and I ran around the neighborhood the other day, and that was more fun. :-) I don't know if I will ever become a runner, but I thought I should give it a fair try, and as I'm at kind of a plateau with my weight loss, I thought changing up my exercise might help. My husband is a runner, and wants me to run a 5K with him. So that's the plan. He likes just normal races, but I'm going to sign us up for one of those fun themed ones. And I'm going to wear this shirt.

Haha that shirt is great! I might get one. I use the treadmill right now since it's a bit too cold out for me.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    That website has that design in different styles, including tanks.
  • jissellc
    Options
    Can't believe I finished Week 7 last week. Its surreal to me to think I am able to run 30 plus minutes now. I'm still slow though, takes me 43 mins to run 2.5 miles. :(
    But now I'm gonna run until I reach 5k and try to improve my time. Sometimes when I run, I get a stitch in my stomach, like near my lung. I guess it's like a cramp. Anyone know how to fix this? Is it from drinking too much water when I run?
    Thanks