vinegar cravings

Options
Oopcdaz
Oopcdaz Posts: 6 Member
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I have had these before, and I've asked my doctor because it usually means I want to snack on pickles. It usually encourages me to drink more water which I know I need to do, so the doctor thought it was fine and actually encouraged it. I don't normally eat salt. I have increased my water intake a lot, but the last few weeks my vinegar cravings have gone sky high to the point where I really want to put balsamic vinegar on pickles and put even more vinegar on salt and vinegar chips! I don't know how to curb this craving. There has to be some other deficiency going on. Any suggestions?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    May be you are drinking too much water.
  • Oopcdaz
    Oopcdaz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    now there's a thought! I didn't think of that. I've increased my water but I would have thought there would have been a. Where the cravings would have stopped. Not gotten worse.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Some cravings are your body telling you are deficient in some nutrient.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I get the urge to just drink malt vinegar. And I would as a kid! Eek.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I heard an old wive's tale that I was craving Vitamin C when I wanted something sour like that. I used to get the vinegar cravings when I was younger. Try a Vitamin C tablet (OJ would work too, but too many calories for an experiment like this) and see if it cuts your cravings.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    A google search says it's less common, but can be a sign of candida infection.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I LOVE vinegar on all my veggies...sooo yummy!!
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant, I want to drink pickled jalapeno peppers juice by the glass full. I knew that I couldn't so I would alot myself like a tbsp a day to pour over veggies as a sort of dressing. But my midwife mentioned it was a sign that my body might be needing more vitamin c. So I upped my vitamin C intake and the cravings greatly lessened. Also, the water thing might be it- drinking too much or too little with a combination of too little sodium in the diet could result in the same cravings. You should be drinking about half your body weight in ounces of water a day, more on days when you are really working hard and sweating a lot. Also, how is your potassium intake? Your body needs potassium to process the sodium you take in so perhaps if your potassium levels aren't high enough, you might be stalling the sodium levels in your body and not allowing it to process so your body might think you need more, hence the cravings.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Additionally, when you work out hard and sweat a lot, your body will expel sodium faster than if you didn't, so there is the slight chance, if you are sweating a lot, that your sodium levels are in fact too low. It is more rare but a slight possibility.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Either that or you just like sour stuff. ~shrugs~ If we accept that people crave salty and sweet stuff, why not sour? I know I'd rather have something tart than something sweet any day.