320 over, what should I do?

Options
xLyric
xLyric Posts: 840 Member
So I was doing just fine, and had just finished eating my last meal of the day when I remembered I'd told my brothers we would go out for ice cream to celebrate their first (and my second) year of college being finished. Of course, it's celebrating/excuse/excuse/excuse, I just HAD to get a 320 calorie (according to the log, it felt like more) sundae.

So what would any of you helpful people recommend doing? Is there an easy workout that would take care of that many calories? Should I just shave off 320 cals tomorrow? Just forget about them all together and start as a new day tomorrow? Something else?

Replies

• brendi_lynn
    brendi_lynn Posts: 19
    Options
    Heavy/intense aerobics for about 45 minutes will shave off that much.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I have a Tae Bo video that is about 40 minutes long and it burns like 500 calories...you can probably find a workout if you have on demand, or try looking on the web maybe
  • ineednapkin
    ineednapkin Posts: 151
    Options
    hmm why don't you go for a jog? Maybe look up some aerobic videos on youtube? :)
  • TaushasJourney
    Options
    How about doing a little exercise (whatever you want to do--clean the kitchen or something, haha) and let anything you don't burn off go. Start fresh tomorrow.
  • CountryGrrrrl
    Options
    Walking! Add it to your diary, and see how long it will take you to work off that many calories. I did the same thing today, and had to walk an hour to burn 400 calories of tacos I ate today. Ugh. Really makes you rethink that extra stuff.
    My advice is to use the diary for the next day on MFP as a meal planner. It has helped me keep on course!!
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not an expert yet, but, I went over by a little over 200 today really consciously - it was my last day of classes (ever!!!) and I wanted to celebrate. I'm not going to make a habit of it, and I think I'm just going to count it as part of a lifetime of learning to mostly be good, and very occasionally not :)

I vote don't worry too much, and just do well tomorrow :) Part of the problem with overeating is reactionary eating (at least for me).
  • kggroves
    kggroves Posts: 7
    Options
    You are human. Forget about it and start fresh tomorrow. I had teacher appreciation yesterday and did the exact same thing. Just keep chugging along becuase you are doing great.
  • kelbel76
    kelbel76 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you can get a workout in, that would be great. Otherwise, I personally wouldn't sweat it. It's just one day and then just get back on it tomorrow.
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Forget it and move on. If you're eating to lose a pound a week, you're at a 500 calorie per day deficit already. That ice cream just made your deficit a little less. You won't gain weight, you actually should still lose, but it MIGHT be a TINY bit less. Besides, we're all entitled to a treat every once in a while, right? Tomorrow is a new day. Eat it normally and like today never happened. It'll be ok. Promise.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    What would I do? Forget about it. 310 calories over is not a big deal once in a while. Glad you enjoyed celebrating with your brothers!
  • chill0315
    chill0315 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Get back on track tomorrow. I meal is not going to ruin what good you have done all week!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    If you're up for it get a workout in.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Zumba!!! I've hear it shaves off 600 an hour!
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Enjoy- I wouldn't worry about it- remember you already have a daily deficit set. A treat once in a while is A-Okay! :smile:
  • tiggr62
    tiggr62 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Everybody is entitled to a cheat day. I think this was yours. I'm glad you had a wonderful time with your brothers.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I agree with trying to workout a little bit, go for a run or do some aerobics.
    Then let go whatever you didn't manage to burn.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Just forget about them all together and start as a new day tomorrow?

that
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    SO lets say that tomorrow morning you forget to brush your teeth. "DANG IT!" you say to yourself, "I FORGOT TO BRUSH MY TEETH! No my WHOLE dental plan is messed up! Might as well never brush my teeth again! IN fact, I think that I will stop flossing! After all I forgot to brush my teeth, and my WHOLE dental plan is messed up! Hey I guess I might as well stop that Hair brushing thing too, Might as well stop taking a shower. AFTER ALL! I FORGOT TO BRUSH MY TEETH!"
    Sounds kinda silly doesn't it? So WHY oh WHY do we beat ourselves up when we eat over our calories for a day, or when we forget to or did not take time to work out on any given day? And in turn think that our WHOLE diet exercise thing is now over! After all, You SLIPPED UP ONE DAY! My advise is simple. One day boo boo does not a whole diet destroy! Wake up in the morning with a clean slate.
  • cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    One slip isn't going to destroy your whole program. If you *can* get a little more exercise in, go for it, but don't even worry about working all of it off, just be more careful tomorrow. And no, don't shave off the calories tomorrow--it doesn't work that way. Don't starve yourself, just behave. :happy:

You can do this and will be successful.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Just bump up the exercise and drop the calories a bit next week. It'll even out.

We all need to allow ourselves to splurge like this every once in a while. It makes it easier to be good the rest of the time. Don't sweat it. (Just don't do it every week)