Protein powder

Options
So I never hit my protein goal so was thinking of buying some powder and having it as a meal replacement,will this help me lose weight and if I stop taking it will weight I've lost all come back on? :/ am a bit confused cos I have used slimfast in the past and that's exactly what happened :/

Replies

• Nebrie
    Nebrie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    A protein powder drink will help you supplement your protein intake to meet your nutritional needs. It will not make you lose weight nor will it put weight on you. Having a calorie deficit will make you lose weight. Going over your caloric needs will make you gain weight.

I drink a protein drink after heavy lifting. I also occasionally use a protein shake (blended with yogurt and fruit) as an actual meal when I'm in a time crunch and do not have the time to sit and eat.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i agree with RKunkee

I use protein powder to try and reach my protein goals and to make some foods a little more nutritionally balanced. It's a great way to fill up days where you are short on calories because you were short on time. I have even been using it when i bake and have added it to homemade ice creams.

It has become a permanent item in my kitchen now. There's no reason for me not to continue using it unless i have days where i hit my protein goal without it.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Protein powder has calories like everything else. It isn't magical pixie dust that will make you lose or gain weight outside of it's caloric content. It's useful because it is an easy and relatively cheap way to consume protein dense calories. 35 quid for a large tub of protein powder might SEEM expensive. But when you compare getting the same amount of protein from real food a good protein isolate usually wins hands down.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from calories in<calories out. As long as you remain at/under your goal, you'll lose weight. Protein's importance in this is to make sure you don't lose too much lean body mass.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are a great way to get extra protein.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is just a quick an convenient way to get in some extra protein.
    Though usually not that much, it does provide you with calories (which can lead to weight gain if consumed in excess).
    All in all, when trying to lose weight, I'd say to limit protein powder usage as whole foods tend to be more satiating (compare a chicken breast with a protein shake for example).
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Also, unless you are a vegetarian, gram for gram, whey protein is king. Vegetable protein products are comparatively inferior as you would normally have to ingest almost twice the amount of calories to get the same amount of protein. Additionally, don't fall for "female marketed" brands that are more expensive. You are just paying more for pretty packing. Whey comes in concentrate and isolate variations. Concentrate will have more milk sugar and thus also a little more fat making the caloric content a little higher. Isolate will have that particular milk sugar reduced and thusly a little less fat, making the caloric content a little less, but typically making the product a little more money. Some people that have stomach issues with concentrate, do fine on isolate.

But as others have already mentioned, protein powder is just a convenience food that allows you to supplement your protein needs.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder in the morning on my way to school for a quick smoothie in a blender cup and sometimes pre or post workout, and also sometimes when I am really low on calories that day. I have tried many different brands but just tried a new one for the first time today and so far it is my favorite. I found it 50% off on Amazon. I am allergic to milk protein and this is whey free and no animal products, tastes good to. Lifetime Life's Basics Plant Protein Chocolate
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »
    Also, unless you are a vegetarian, gram for gram, whey protein is king. Vegetable protein products are comparatively inferior as you would normally have to ingest almost twice the amount of calories to get the same amount of protein. Additionally, don't fall for "female marketed" brands that are more expensive. You are just paying more for pretty packing. Whey comes in concentrate and isolate variations. Concentrate will have more milk sugar and thus also a little more fat making the caloric content a little higher. Isolate will have that particular milk sugar reduced and thusly a little less fat, making the caloric content a little less, but typically making the product a little more money. Some people that have stomach issues with concentrate, do fine on isolate.

But as others have already mentioned, protein powder is just a convenience food that allows you to supplement your protein needs.

Confirmed. They also might try and sell them to you by claiming they contain L-Carnitin, which supposedly helps fat burn. Ignore that. They most likely will also have a lower protein concentration than the normal ones, meaning you will need to eat more to get the same amount.
  • antonette1989
    antonette1989 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with BNS Syntha 6 protein. It is hands down the best tasting protein I have ever tried, although it does have a few more calories than most.