Curious about fasting

Options
So my experience today was that I had a coffee this morning and that's been it so far. Not for any reason, just haven't gotten to eating yet, I have a healthy appetite and no EDs or anything like that.

Ordinarily, I'd be flipping out by now. I don't know why I'm not now, tbh. Well, I ate way over my calorie goal yesterday, but the effects of that don't typically last well into the next day. Usually I am very uncomfortable, have headaches, etc., when I go without eating for longer than 3-4 hours. This is why I've dismissed anything like the 5-2 thing and IF out of hand.

But fasting somehow seems feasible today, for whatever reason. Do people on fasting regimes just get used to it? Do they eat a lot the day before? How do you manage that?

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    there are good fasting groups on here, I am all for it and do it all the time.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I do alternate day fasting. What you've done is more 16:8 which I also do.
    I've gotten to the stage where I look forward to my fasting days!
    Yes, I've definitely got used to it. I didn't think I'd manage when I first started....
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Aha, 16:8 means no eating for 16 hours and eating within 8?

Have you done anything differently on non-fasting days to accommodate for fasting?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Aha, 16:8 means no eating for 16 hours and eating within 8?

Have you done anything differently on non-fasting days to accommodate for fasting?

yes, correct.

no, I eat my tdee of 1550 on up days and 500 on fasting days. That's it :smile:

• tomatoey
    Options
    Interesting! Thank you for replying :)
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    When I did 16:8 it came about as a natural extension of eating less in general. First I got my intake under control over a few months on MFP, then I was able to clearly examine my hunger cues and food responses, and finally I found that I was naturally not hungry in the mornings to early afternoon, so I committed to 16:8 at that point. I don't know how typical this journey into (very moderate) fasting is of fasters in general, but I can enthusiastically endorse using fasting as a way to work with your body's natural hunger rhythms and keep your intake in line.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I should add that I'm actively trying to get back to the 16:8 model because I felt FANTASTIC when I was doing it -- loads of energy, really enjoyed my larger dinners and bedtime snacks, weight dropping left right and center -- and I'm starting the same way this time (controlling general intake, then shrinking breakfasts, etc.).
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i used to "have" to eat every couple of hours or i would get light-headed, headaches and stomach upset, nausea. i never thought IF'ing would be for me! then i kept reading about the positive effects and i did it. i LOVE it now. i have an eating window of 6 hours per day. it's easy for me. didn't take long to get used to either. (i throw in a 24-hour fast about once per week, which i am in the middle of right now.)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Good to hear about your experiences! Thank you for sharing :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't try it because I like consistency. I also know from experience with fasting (i.e. for religious holidays) that it makes me grumpy, hangry and headache-y.

But it seems to work for some people. So hey. Give it a shot if that's you.
  • Christine_72
    edited January 2015
    Options
    For me, ADF is the only thing that has worked.. I've tried this and that way of eating, but none were successful or fit me like this has.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Do they eat a lot the day before? How do you manage that?

It just becomes natural. Have to remember that we evolved to handle routine non-optional fasts, so really it's just a return to normal for humans, really. There would be no point to the body storing fat reserves if they weren't intended to be used. :wink:
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Yep! I honestly don't think our bodies were designed for 3 large meals and umpteen snacks in between.
    it was all the rage a while ago to eat every couple of hours. I just couldn't do that. Walking around constantly full of food and my body in 100% digestion mode all day and evening.
    Not very scientific, just my own thoughts and preferences
  • tomatoey
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I wouldn't try it because I like consistency. I also know from experience with fasting (i.e. for religious holidays) that it makes me grumpy, hangry and headache-y.

I don't know if it is or not - I know what you mean about headaches and feeling grumpy, that's tended to happen after a few hours - but maybe it's worth a try... I've almost never just skipped breakfast, and this weird thing happened today where it wasn't so bad.
    For me, ADF is the only thing that has worked.. I've tried this and that way of eating, but none were successful or fit me like this has.

You've clearly had results!

Mr_Knight wrote: »

It just becomes natural. Have to remember that we evolved to handle routine non-optional fasts, so really it's just a return to normal for humans, really. There would be no point to the body storing fat reserves if they weren't intended to be used. :wink:

*scales falling from eyes* - this is very logical :) thank you
    Yep! I honestly don't think our bodies were designed for 3 large meals and umpteen snacks in between.
    it was all the rage a while ago to eat every couple of hours. I just couldn't do that. Walking around constantly full of food and my body in 100% digestion mode all day and evening.

I do like 3 squares usually myself, but not the 5 x/day. Thanks so much for your input :)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

I don't know if it is or not - I know what you mean about headaches and feeling grumpy, that's tended to happen after a few hours - but maybe it's worth a try... I've almost never just skipped breakfast, and this weird thing happened today where it wasn't so bad.

You've clearly had results!

Mr_Knight wrote: »

*scales falling from eyes* - this is very logical :) thank you

I do like 3 squares usually myself, but not the 5 x/day. Thanks so much for your input :)

most everyone here will disagree with this lol But I like to give my body a break from digesting food every now and then. In the books I have read on the subject, most agree that giving our body a rest from digesting food , gives it the chance to heal and work on other processes. Whether this is scientifically true or not, I do not know. It just makes sense to me

• heidibannister
    heidibannister Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am doing 3:4 it's tough but I think I might be able to stick at it beyond the normal January determination
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ? Do they eat a lot the day before? How do you manage that?

i do not eat alot the day before a big fast, but everyone is different. the only modification i make to my calorie intake is that on days when i work-out (2 days per week) i do eat more calories b/c i am hungrier. my usual/typical schedule is fasting from 6:00 p.m. to 12:00 noon the following day. unless i'm doing a 24-hour fast (which i did yesterday) by stopping intake of calories at 1:00 p.m. yesterday and didn't eat again until 1:00 p.m. today.