Protein Help!!!!!!

Options
I am starting a 8 week program and I have some questions about protein.

The workout plan consists of 4 days a week workout about 20 min cardio and 40 min weight/strength training.

On this plan its tell me that I need to eat 0.75xmy weight (155lbs) worth of protein in grams = 116.25 grams a day. I feel like this is a lot. I understand I will be weight training and my muscles need protein but other things online I have read I need around 80-90 grams a day.
I am just trying to understand why they would claim I need 116 grams a day, is it because the workout routine is hardcore? if someone can clarify why this is. I am 5"11 is that matters for any calculations. Also I am vegetarian but I am willing to eat fish for the next 8 weeks to meet my protein intake,

Any advice will help!

Thank you!

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Protein is needed to build muscle. What are your goals? Who set up this plan for you?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    That's possibly a little high, but in the correct ballpark. Typically, the recommendation is 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass (your weight - % body fat), so that's probably about the same as .75 x your total body weight. I'm a vegetarian and average 120g of protein daily (I do use protein bars and powder, though). Feel free to peek through my diary for ideas if you'd like.
  • nbrown88ca
    nbrown88ca Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Protein is needed to build muscle. What are your goals? Who set up this plan for you?

I found it online. Its for a 8 week high intensity training so I can have a somewhat lean and toned body for when I go on vacation.

I think I might try it out maybe stay around 100 grams a day seems like so much. I will definatly change how i eat. i mostly eat veggies and fruit and nuts but not enough to even come close to 100 grams a day.

but if i need it to build muscle it makes sense. i am okay with the weight because of my height but to get stronger and more lean
  • roserex
    roserex Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian, but normally I do crossfit which is pretty intense. I don't follow it strictly, but the paleo diet they recommend also requires a high protein. I find I can meet it if I drink a protein shake (good one) after my workout. I don't know if you can eat eggs, but they help too. I also eat gree yogurt - total Fage which has alot of protein. I eat a lot of nuts - almond, pecan, walnut, and macademnia.
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You can reach the protein goal by drinking a quality protein shake post workout and incorporating lean protein at all meals, plus Greek yogurt (my fav is Fage).
  • missdoomcookie
    missdoomcookie Posts: 21
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Primal strips makes wonderful vegetarian 'jerky'. They have both soy and steian based versions and pack 10 grams of protein into 74-99 calorie snack (depending on the flavor, they have differing flavors/sauces). So they are great snacks to push you forward toward your goal and really tasty. :)

You can get them off amazon (or find them locally, I'm sure):
    http://www.amazon.com/Primal-Meatless-Jerky-Variety-Sampler-Assorted/dp/B00CC0VSR0
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have been focused on eating more protein. I eat cottage cheese, almonds, greek yogurt, eggs, and meat. I am amazed at how much more statisfied I have been with eating more protein. I found these oat, flax, lavash wraps at BJs Wholesale. They have 10g of protein in them at only 100 calories. I make egg sammiches with them. yum!
  • CandanceS
    CandanceS Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I just joined a weight loss challenge and the coordinator told me I need to be getting 124 g every day. Right now I only get about 65 and that is with beans, tofu, and a protein shake in the morning (I'm vegetarian too). I don't know how I'm supposed to double my protein while staying within my calorie limit. Plus I'm super full all the time due to the protein I'm getting already.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Here's some good info on protein sources including vegetarian and vegan:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • nbrown88ca
    nbrown88ca Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info! I tried a chocolate vegan protein powder.... i couldnt even get one gulp down!! Yesterday I ate almost 100 grams of protein and I cant belive how full I was all day... kinda nice to be honest. I wasnt snacking at all etc.
  • amphilion
    amphilion Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I understand you on not being able to drink that protein shake, I'm the same.
    I use the Vega chocolate protein powder, but now I add a scoop to my overnight oats, I find its easier to take in, rather than drinking it.
    1/2 cup of rolled oats, 1 scoop of PR powder, 1 tablespoon of Chia Seeds, 1 tablespoon of shredded unsweeten coconut, and water or almond milk.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Fage yogurt is very tasty, and makes a fab substitute for sour cream in recipes...when I am looking to update my protein numbers I put a nice 1/2 cup scoop on top of a bowl of vegan chili...yum.

Siggis Icelandic Yogurt is another rich, creamy, high protein option, as well.

I don't like protein powders, either. I drink Lifeway kefir (11g protein per 8 oz) instead, sometimes even during the workout! Ounce per ounce, it's comparable in protein and calorie content to some of the shake recipes I've seen.
  • missdoomcookie
    missdoomcookie Posts: 21
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The only way I can do protein powder is in a smoothie. Been having banana, protein powder, almond milk, Chobani greek yogurt smoothies lately (300 calories, 37 grams of protein) that are tasty. Going to try going with a lower calorie fruit next (berries) and see if it still overrides the protein powder yuck or if the banana is doing most of that work.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I try to eat as much protein as I possibly can. My goal is 130g/daily, but I just try to incorporate it into everything I eat. It makes me fuller longer and keeps me from overindulging on carbs!
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    CandanceS wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you. I just joined a weight loss challenge and the coordinator told me I need to be getting 124 g every day. Right now I only get about 65 and that is with beans, tofu, and a protein shake in the morning (I'm vegetarian too). I don't know how I'm supposed to double my protein while staying within my calorie limit. Plus I'm super full all the time due to the protein I'm getting already.

Being vegetarian, getting the protein in while minimizing the impact to your overall calorie content can be a little tricky, as a lot of the protein sources for vegetarians (as you mentioned) have an abundance of other calories as well (such as carbs, in the case of beans) - and the ratio can make it difficult to get your totals in under the calorie total.

There are a multitude of different protein powders out on the market -- some I've had and hated, some I've had and loved -- that'd likely be the "easiest" way to get them in. Other than suggesting you try other brands/sources, I'm not big on answers for you!