Probably been asked a million times, but who records fruit and veg?

Options

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I log all fruits and veggies, but I admit, I dont log gum or diet soda.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    If your goal is weight loss, an amazing tool -- and consequently the basis for this entire site -- is to count calories (as accurately as possible). Vegetables and fruit have caloric value, just like any other food. Logging also tells you all the macros of fruits and veggies as well.

Granted, counting calories is a tool, and in my opinion the main goal of using this tool is to really get a feel for what you're eating, since most people on this site who are looking to lose weight have very little concept of portion sizes. I'm surprised every now and then when I measure out and weigh certain things, just how much of it I'm actually eating. Fruit included.
  • kissa714
    kissa714 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I log everything, only exclusion is gum sometimes. Fruits and vegetables (especially if they make up the bulk of your diet) can add up calorie wise. Definitely log them so you know how many calories youre eating and also you will know the nutritional content of them.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    People who are losing weight are recording everything.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I log everything, even if its a whole 5 calories of a crap ton of spinach leaves because I have to hold myself accountable for everything or its too easy to start justifying "Oh I don't log spinach so I don't need to log ____ because it's low calorie" and that adds up so fast.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Of course you should log it. Just because it's healthy doesn't mean it doesn't contain calories. In terms of fat loss, that is the only thing your body cares about. :smiley:
  • amoods05
    amoods05 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do log it all but with weight watchers, you no longer have to count points for fruit & veggies. I often wonder which approach is better.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I log my fruits and veggies.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    If you didn't need to log everything you ate to lose weight, you wouldn't need MFP. Right? Logging everything is the answer.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    amoods05 wrote: »
    I do log it all but with weight watchers, you no longer have to count points for fruit & veggies. I often wonder which approach is better.

well, a medium-sized banana, apple, or a large orange are roughly 100 calories each. Eat 5-6 of those a day, and boom! 600 extra calories.

Avocados are even worse.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    First of all, I try to make most of my diet healthy. Doesn't mean it lacks calories.

Second, the way logging works is that you want to figure out what your maintenance calories are and then create a deficit. If you don't log everything, your numbers won't be right. That is the main reason I log fruits and veggies--because I want numbers that are as accurate as possible.

Third, and also quite important to me, I don't see logging as only about staying in a deficit (you can do that without logging fruits and veggies if you just lower your calories if not losing and don't vary the amounts of fruits and veggies too much). I see it as about learning things about my diet and how it affects me and also motivating myself to eat well. If I didn't log fruits and veggies (or foods I thought were healthy), it could not serve these purposes at all. (For example, if your goal is to eat 5 servings of fruit and veggies a day, logging them is a way of monitoring whether you are doing it, and something else to feel good about at the end of the day or remember to work on the next day.)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    One of my friends doesn't ("Err it's healthy, why would I record it?") but I think I should start

Anyone who is recording their intake, and wants accuracy.

If someone is just flailing away at the keyboard, there's no reason for them to log it, because they just aren't serious.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    i log everything, but also track fibre .thats the importance of fruit and veg to me.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Everything. Even 0 calorie beverages.

I even log my vitamins lol

I do too! Fruit and veggie calories can really add up quick, especially bananas, apples, etc

• labellacv
    labellacv Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Why would someone NOT log fruits & veggies? I don't understand the logic behind that.
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think WW has some responsibility for the "fruits and veggies are free!" mentality (actually, that's exactly how most WWers think of it, because on that plan they are - or at least they were when I last did the program). I do think they take into consideration that you will be eating "free" fruits and veg when they calculate your daily points allotment, though.

I think the rationale behind this is essentially just getting folks to focus on healthy foods over unhealthy ones. The idea is that you are less likely to binge on carrots than on chips (and the caloric impact would be less) so if you're hungry, have at those carrots - they're free! Obviously they're not free, but WW is trying to help their members make healthier choices and build good habits.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    WW has lower points to make up for it though. If you use MFP or even just count calories it's just not going to work if you don't count them... some days I have 500 calories of fruit and veggies!
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I do, but am pickier with fruits and higher calorie veggies (i.e, avocado). Meaning, I don't measure exactly (a cup of spinach vs. a cup and a half is about a 5 calorie difference so - meh) for low cal veggies. I measure really carefully with things like avocados, bananas, etc. I record everything. I have to keep myself honest.
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    WW has lower points to make up for it though. If you use MFP or even just count calories it's just not going to work if you don't count them... some days I have 500 calories of fruit and veggies!

I totally agree. (I did mention that they take the free fruits and veg into account when calculating your daily points.) :smile: I was just trying to explain their rationale.

I tend to eat a lot of fruit and veg too - I know that would slow my weight loss down if I was still doing WW. Those calories count whether you count them or not!

• SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I log it all but I'm less precise about measuring lower calorie vegetables.