I'm just not losing weight

Options

Replies

• Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    I'm certain you are retaining water for your damaged muscles.

You are pushing your body extremely hard. Consider more rest.

Your body is a phenomenally complex equation, but an important part of the equation is recovery. Training for a marathon, hitting the elliptical for hours and hours a week, and strictly controlling your intake will not necessarily give you faster results than a more forgiving routine.

Take it a little easier, and be a little more patient and forgiving with your body.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Also I should have put this in the original blog but I am noticing my stomach shrinking but haven't been using any weights to really build muscle.. But also I'm staying at the same weight.. Fat turning into muscle? Not sure but just frustrating me I'm not losing lbs.

Not if you're only doing cardio. I would guess it's water retention and/or inaccurate measuring of food. Why not add in some resistance training? And what do you mean your legs are mostly muscle? How does that happen without weight training? I've seen runners and they are very slender with little fat but not a ton of muscle.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Burt_Huttz wrote: »
    I'm certain you are retaining water for your damaged muscles.

You are pushing your body extremely hard. Consider more rest.

Your body is a phenomenally complex equation, but an important part of the equation is recovery. Training for a marathon, hitting the elliptical for hours and hours a week, and strictly controlling your intake will not necessarily give you faster results than a more forgiving routine.

Take it a little easier, and be a little more patient and forgiving with your body.

^^^ This. Most of my "success" comes after a rest day (or two) and nights when I am able to get sufficient sleep. Rest is important, as is the workout.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I find that when my weight stalls, my inches shrink. If you noticed your stomach shrinking, then you're losing weight, but just not on the scale. If the weight factor frustrates you, then stop weighing and go to measuring inches as your check-in in combo with the scale. One unit of measure isn't an accurate picture. Check-in weekly or monthly instead of whatever frequency you are so that the ups and downs can even out a bit.
  • nwalbers
    nwalbers Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    2 weeks is not enough time to tell if something is working. Make sure you're in a caloric deficit and be patient.

I agree, give it some more time.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Your diary isn't public? It says on your ticker you've lost 6lbs though, so you must be doing something right!

If you're burning 700 calories, you should be eating more than 1200.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Also I should have put this in the original blog but I am noticing my stomach shrinking but haven't been using any weights to really build muscle.. But also I'm staying at the same weight.. Fat turning into muscle? Not sure but just frustrating me I'm not losing lbs.

You aren't building muscle eating only 1200 calories a day.
  • katelynmccloy
    katelynmccloy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »

Not if you're only doing cardio. I would guess it's water retention and/or inaccurate measuring of food. Why not add in some resistance training? And what do you mean your legs are mostly muscle? How does that happen without weight training? I've seen runners and they are very slender with little fat but not a ton of muscle.

Before I weight trained that's why I said that. I'll try that tho thanks
  • katelynmccloy
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Your diary isn't public? It says on your ticker you've lost 6lbs though, so you must be doing something right!

Well how my fitnesspal has it set up for active" they gave me 1,230 calories to eat and I don't wanna eat the calories I just burned off. I put it as public so it should be showing... So since I burn 400-700 some days how many calories should I eat?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Well how my fitnesspal has it set up for active" they gave me 12,030 calories to eat and I don't wanna eat the calories I just burned off. I put it as public so it should be showing...

Yah I see lots of things not weighed...you are probably eating a lot more than you think acutally.

Even prepackage food needs vetted for weight vs package details. For example 27 grams of fruitloops (my choice of cereal) is not 3/4 cup per the box...it's a lot less.

And on the plus side 125grams of cottage cheese is a heck of a lot more than 1/2 cup.

Buy a food scale and be prepared for a lot of surprises.

As well logging accuratly is important. Choosing items by grams instead of "serving" and try not choosing the "homemade" items unless you entered it into the database under reciepes.

As I mentioned prior if you were really eating 1200 calories and exercising off 400 you would be losing weight.

ETA: MFP is setup so you do eat back exercise calories...it uses NEAT for it's calculation which means your intake before exercise then exercise gives you more calories to eat.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Read this to help with logging more accurately. It will help you figure out how to find the correct food entries. This combined with a food scale will help get the number moving on the scale.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Well how my fitnesspal has it set up for active" they gave me 1,230 calories to eat and I don't wanna eat the calories I just burned off. I put it as public so it should be showing... So since I burn 400-700 some days how many calories should I eat?

If you're using the MFP method then it is designed for you to eat back the calories you burned. Most will say to only eat back half as MFP can be generous on caloric burns. Also the other 2 questions are what do you have your loss per week set at - 2 pounds? And what is your goal weight?
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    You really need to evaluate results over a month due to hormonal and other fluctuations (such as slamming your body with a high sodium day, among others). After looking at your diary, I would also suggest taking a good multivitamin daily to make up for nutrient deficits, and also increasing your fat grams to the noted level so that your body can use the nutrients.
  • ROBtheMFPmachine
    ROBtheMFPmachine Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar situation, sort of. :p A few years ago, I was about 40 pounds overweight (or at least above where I wanted to be...I think the BMI thing can be deceptive). I began to exercise regularly and did weight watchers for 2-3 months, during which time I lost like 35 pounds. I stopped WW (thinking I could lose more on my own without tracking), but continued to exercise...in fact I intensified and became more obsessive about exercising. And for the next 2.5 years, I never lost a single pound from that low--in fact, I'm now 10 pounds heavier than that low that I achieved after 2-3 months of WW.

So, I'm doing MFP now with a goal of losing 15 lbs. In my first week I have been successful. BUT, I've noticed that I have to exercise a TON to make up for all of the additional calories that I feel I need.

So, you're burning about 400-700 calories per day in exercise. What about increasing that to 1000? I know, time consuming, but that may be your best bet. Maybe you are taking in too much protein? Even though I just dissed BMI, you are not really that much above BMI of 25, which is considered healthy. Are you carrying around too much fat, or are you unhappy with all the muscle in your legs? Those are two different things.
  • katelynmccloy
    Options

If you're using the MFP method then it is designed for you to eat back the calories you burned. Most will say to only eat back half as MFP can be generous on caloric burns. Also the other 2 questions are what do you have your loss per week set at - 2 pounds? And what is your goal weight?

Yes I'm trying to lose 2lbs a week. What's mfp? My goal weight is 130lbs
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar situation, sort of. :p A few years ago, I was about 40 pounds overweight (or at least above where I wanted to be...I think the BMI thing can be deceptive). I began to exercise regularly and did weight watchers for 2-3 months, during which time I lost like 35 pounds. I stopped WW (thinking I could lose more on my own without tracking), but continued to exercise...in fact I intensified and became more obsessive about exercising. And for the next 2.5 years, I never lost a single pound from that low--in fact, I'm now 10 pounds heavier than that low that I achieved after 2-3 months of WW.

So, I'm doing MFP now with a goal of losing 15 lbs. In my first week I have been successful. BUT, I've noticed that I have to exercise a TON to make up for all of the additional calories that I feel I need.

So, you're burning about 400-700 calories per day in exercise. What about increasing that to 1000? I know, time consuming, but that may be your best bet. Maybe you are taking in too much protein? Even though I just dissed BMI, you are not really that much above BMI of 25, which is considered healthy. Are you carrying around too much fat, or are you unhappy with all the muscle in your legs? Those are two different things.

wow okay...again...I eat 2k a day exercise 15mins max...and still lose...I have to eat about 2300-2500 to maintain.
  • katelynmccloy
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    You really need to evaluate results over a month due to hormonal and other fluctuations (such as slamming your body with a high sodium day, among others). After looking at your diary, I would also suggest taking a good multivitamin daily to make up for nutrient deficits, and also increasing your fat grams to the noted level so that your body can use the nutrients.

Oh ok that seems really helpful. I just wasn't sure how this app exactly works and how to follow it correctly..
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Yes I'm trying to lose 2lbs a week. What's mfp? My goal weight is 130lbs

MFP stands for My Fitness Pal. It's the site/app that you're posting on right now.

• katelynmccloy
    Options

Lol I just want my stomach and body as a whole more toned up in which I need to lose fat in my stomach and in my arms.. For my height it says I should be 120 but that'll be too small for myself. What's MFP? I thought the more Protein the better? And try burning 1,000 calories?
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MFP = Myfitness Pal as diannethegeek posted.

You can't spot reduce where your weight comes off of. i.e you can't 'tone' your stomach. You need to lose fat overall and you have no control on where the fat comes off first. It just does where it does. Do you log accurately? All the time? (sorry if repeating any questions) also how do you calculate your calorie burns? Do you were a chest strap heart rate monitor? *A fitbit? etc.