Does being sedentary kill your metabolism?

Options
I have A LOT of weight to lose 150lbs+ and lose at a very slow rate. All of my food recording is accurate, weighed, measured, etc...

I've been working at home for the past few years and don't exercise. I had my fitbit on the other day and only walked 300 steps the entire day. I guess I didn't realize it had gotten that bad. Is it possible that my sedentary lifestyle has really slowed down my metabolism and my BMR is actually a lot lower than what is calculated. In turn, I really need to be eating less calories than I am?

I'm assuming the more exercise I do, my metabolism will increase and I would be closer to what the BMS calculation actually is.

Replies

• anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm no Dr. but I'd have to say, No. I'm 47, I've been a computer consultant for like 20 yrs, (I sit on my butt for 12-14 hrs/day) and went like 25 yrs without exercising a bit. When I turned 45, I decided to lose 30 lbs. I exercised, ate better, and lost 50 lbs.
  • Megh0511
    Megh0511 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Being sedentary kills your metabolism so long as you are sedentary. Fueling your body with the clean foods it needs within reasonable portions throughout the day in addition to leading an active lifestyle will rev your metabolism back up. It can be revived so long as you do your part to revive it.
  • Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Megh0511 wrote: »
    Being sedentary kills your metabolism so long as you are sedentary. Fueling your body with the clean foods it needs within reasonable portions throughout the day in addition to leading an active lifestyle will rev your metabolism back up. It can be revived so long as you do your part to revive it.

Totally agree with everything . I lead a very sedentary life , but have been working out at home for the past 2 years prior to mfp. I have lost weight , but most importantly I have lost inches all around, so work out at home, aerobics , weight whatever you feel like.
    we have a saying in my country " your bed will never tell you to get up" , take it literally. the more sluggish you act, the more sluggish you will be.
  • holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If by kill your metabolism, you mean there is a possibility that it would be 5% less efficient than an active lifestyle at most, then yes, yes it can. Your metabolism can't slow down too much or you die. Science yo
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Kill your metabolism, no. Dieting of any type will actually slow it down more though. While one can lose weight without physical activity and a calorie deficit, it does nothing to help you enhance your body shape or increase fitness level.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Megh0511 wrote: »
    Actually one doesn't need to eat "clean" to increase metabolism. They just need to be more physically active.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I think if you have very poor muscle tone your BMR could be slightly less than calculated, it probably assumes a certain minimum amount of lean muscle which a sedentary female could easily be under. (that's a guess anyway)

You would be better off adding activity than reducing intake, IMO. You'll *feel* better as well - try just doing some core exercises for a few minutes each day. Try it for a month and I bet you'll have a noticeable increase in your ease of movement. Then think about having that improvement all over your body.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Your BMR is an estimate of what you would burn if utterly sedentary (basically, bedridden). The closer your activity level approaches that state, the less margin you have if you are eating at BMR. Also, BMR, being an estimate, has a margin of error. The number I've seen bandied about is 10%. So if a calculator gives you 1800 calories, your BMR could anywhere in the range of 1600-2000 calories. That's why a calorie goal is just a starting place, and you adjust intake up or down (or exercise, or goals) as necessary.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    All I know is I starting feeling and doing better when I started doing a 1/4 walk which is down a steep hill and back up to the house every day unless there is ice on the road. If it is 10F degrees I still do it. Now I look forward to that walk where is 12 noon or 12 midnight. Sometimes I do more but that is the MIN. You may want to start with 600 steps a day MIN.