Accident

Options
I got into a bad car accident this morning and won't be able to do my usual routine for a while. Can't eat today and I don't plan on counting for at least a few days anyway. I'm switching to sedentary in the future and will switch to maintenance until I heal up and .5lb a week afterward. I'm just bored and wondering how it sounds and wondering how others have handled this. I just really need a distraction mind from bills and can't access other sites

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, yes. Just focus on healing right now! I'm so sorry, I hope you recover quickly!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm just bored (no videya games or decent headphones to watch YouTube) restless and thirsty ( can't drink unless I have meds
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Wishing you a full recovery. Depending on the injuries, you might want to eat above maintenance for healing.
  • CooCooPuff
    Options
    Fractured bones arm and something with my leg. I'll ask my doc about it later in too. Just like the support / distraction from everything :)
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    sorry you were hurt. i was in an accident in early december and got whiplash and i am just now feeling better. i agree with roda; i would eat above maintenance for a bit until you are healed.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Wishing you a speedy recovery! Good call on setting yourself to maintenance. You'll need that level (at least, maybe a little more) to give yourself the nutrition for healing. I definitely second the recommendation to check with your doctor and/or nurses about any extra nutritional needs.

I know when my husband had an accident (severe burns and nerve damage, no bone breaks, though), he was recommended to eat his body weight in protein daily during recovery (200g, oof). Because the body has suffered trauma, and needs protein above and beyond normal for the repair.

Protein (for healing, calcium too, maybe? for bones) and carbs (for energy) would be the numbers you should specifically ask of your physician.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oh, and one more thing (sorry for info overload): if you're on pain meds, ask for a stool softener (not a laxative). If they give you a script for one, take it everyday, BEFORE a problem arises. You'll thank yourself (narcotic meds often cause constipation, badly in some of us).
  • jakichan
    jakichan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Oh, and one more thing (sorry for info overload): if you're on pain meds, ask for a stool softener (not a laxative). If they give you a script for one, take it everyday, BEFORE a problem arises. You'll thank yourself (narcotic meds often cause constipation, badly in some of us).

Yeah, depending on the pain meds. Opiates can cause these issues. I had a big ortho procedure and was on IV morphine and everything...stopped. When I went off of it things returned to normal.

And also, yes, the protein. You will need it to heal.
  • CooCooPuff
    Options
    Dang with the stool softener. I knew it w as a good idea to make this post. They've let me have some jello and juice which I have devoured. My sedentary maintenance is only a little lower than what I was already eating so there's that :)

• CooCooPuff
    Options
    Just wanted to say my big surgeries are done. I haven't been able to ask for details but I do have plans to buy a spin bike for much later on and something easier on my knees.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    You've gotten really good answers already, so I'm just here to wish you a quick recovery with a minimum of pain and boredom.
  • gshifrin
    gshifrin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your injury -- sucks to be in pain.
    I'm not suggesting you sign up for any marathons, but the sooner you get even a little bit active, the better you'll feel.
    Good luck!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I was laid up from a crash myself, so I have endless sympathy for you!! Just take care and don't rush it, I wasn't a good patient and I made things harder on myself than they had to be. From my biggest mistake - communicate with your doctor. If s/he doesn't listen, keep trying - I got pissy and shut down and spent two years limping when I maybe didn't need to.

One rec for boredom - podcasts. They're great for when you have to lie around and feel woozy a lot! There are tons out there, you can get them in iTunes, they're all free and even just searching them out could be a fun laid-up project.
    -
    I hope you make a perfectly amazing recovery :)
  • CooCooPuff
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nsv before my surgery, the doctors were talking amongst themselves saying moving me wouldn't have been annoying because I was lighter
    Thanks for all the kind words
  • CooCooPuff
    Options
    I'm still in the hospital. The plan is to move me to a rehab facility because I'm only allowed to put pressure on my left arm.

I have multiple fractures on my left knee (this didn't require surgery), a fracture in my right knee requiring a few screws, and a fractured humerus (and something else?lI still don't fully understand this) requring a plate.

The doctors have given me an increased protein intake and I've been eating just about everything put in front of me (hospital portions are bigger than I'm used to, plus foods brought by visitors). My ability to eat in moderation has pretty much gone kaput and it does make me feel bad. I understand I'm healing from a traumatic experience, it just sucks that I've been largely immobile (doing stuff PT has recommended like sitting up over relying on the bed, shifting to a chair or dangling my legs over the hospital bed when I eat, exercises for my legs and arm like marching) and eating like this.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    That does suck...but congrats on that nsv at least!! Just try and stay positive - you will probably have no way to gauge weight loss or gain while you're healing just remember that the long term is what matters and no matter what setback you're facing now, it will pass eventually.