Canned Tuna

Options
Jte1130
Jte1130 Posts: 12 Member
Just picked up some Starkist Solid White Albacore tuna. In the past I've mixed it with mayo but I'm looking for some healthier alternatives. Does anyone have any recommendations or recipe suggestions? Thanks

Replies

• ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Throw the tuna, some chopped tomatoes, herbs and olives into a pan, heat through and eat with toasted pitta. Takes about 5 mins and is great after the gym. You can add whatever veg you have around, too.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I like mine with avocado, boiled eggs, and hot sauce.
  • Jte1130
    Options
    Both sound great. Thanks!!!
  • Toosie1
    Toosie1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love it with tomatoes, onions and black olives . . . toss with a little red wine vinegar, and olive oil.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Tuna, plain greek yogurt, dill
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I like to season it with whatever (currently hooked on 21-Seasoning Salute) and eat it straight with hot sauce. It's also good with a little mashed avocado and chopped tomatoes. Or you can stuff it INTO a tomato, sprinkle a little cheese on, and broil it.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    I like to season it with whatever (currently hooked on 21-Seasoning Salute) and eat it straight with hot sauce. It's also good with a little mashed avocado and chopped tomatoes. Or you can stuff it INTO a tomato, sprinkle a little cheese on, and broil it.

Lol for ages a tin of tuna and hot sauce was my packed lunch at work :)
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Mixed with Tzatziki, onion, and feta in lettuce wraps!
  • JulieFinn
    JulieFinn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Actually, I just ate it for my lunch today, plain with a little pepper, with a half cup of cottage cheese and an apple on the side. I thought it was very good plain like that too.
  • rsmfp55
    rsmfp55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    place over a bed of brown rice or medium firm tofu. sprinkle furakaki on top. eat w/ seasoned korean seaweed.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    ajnb88 wrote: »
    Throw the tuna, some chopped tomatoes, herbs and olives into a pan, heat through and eat with toasted pitta. Takes about 5 mins and is great after the gym. You can add whatever veg you have around, too.

That sounds realllllly good.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    2 tsp Dijon mustard, 1 tsp olive oil, chopped red onion, chopped gherkins.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Fry it up with some onions, garlic, and soy sauce. At the end toss in a cup or two of spinach and serve over white sticky rice.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Just mayo, salt, pepper, and finely chopped onions, sorry, but that's the only way for me! Won't call that unhealthy. Makes a delicious spread B)
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Best tuna salad for lettuce wraps, crackers, or sandwiches:

tuna drained, olives, roasted red peppers, squeeze of lemon, little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, you can add a little mayo if you want.

http://www.bumblebee.com/recipes/tuna-farfalle-alla-puttanesca/ <-yummy! You can replace the wine with stock or water if you don't want to use it.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    5-minute tuna curry: Drain the tuna. Slice a small onion thinly, chop a clove of garlic, mince a bit of ginger root, and saute them until the onion is soft. Add sliced green chilis to taste, the tuna, and curry powder to taste. Stir and heat until the tuna is warmed through.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I just tried this today. I mixed it with a tablespoon of whipped cream cheese with chives and put it on a LaTortilla Factory Fiesta Tortilla with baby spinach. It was really good.
  • dafad123
    dafad123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just tried this today. I mixed it with a tablespoon of whipped cream cheese with chives and put it on a LaTortilla Factory Fiesta Tortilla with baby spinach. It was really good.

How many calories was this.sounds yummy
  • Jte1130
    Options
    All sound great. Going to try a bunch of these. Thanks for the suggestions. I also saw a good one on the Sabra website that uses hummus as the binder in a chicken salad. Going to try that one with tuna salad.
  • lilliemayflower
    lilliemayflower Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like making tuna patties and like to use Progresso Italian bread crumbs.