I am a Senior Lady in her 70's wondering are there any other Seniors here?

Options
Hello , I am a senior lady that is dieting again. When Seniors get together it is usually all about the food.
sw 235
cw 229.3
gw 160/165
I was on this site in Aug of 2014 and weighed 226. Then gained 14 lbs through the end of the year holidays, My cardiologist said I have a leaky valve that can be improved with some cardio exercises, which I am doing 2 times a week. It is difficult and I put one foot in front of the other and keep going, That's my story and I expect to make my goal this time.

Replies

• reallyrosy
    reallyrosy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi. I had vertcal sleeve gastrectomy 2011. Lost over 120lbs and was doing ok. Lowest wt was 188 in july. Then arthritis got realltybad, cant exercise much, gained 11 lbs lost 3 and am struggling. Chiro says I have pirifomis syndrome and started some stretches today that feel good! But now thyroid underactive and med is slow to fix. I could use a friendly ear. Lets talk.
  • jydmm
    jydmm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi , I just figured out how to retrieve your message. I also have an under active thyroid. It does cause me to be somewhat sluggish when I don't want to be.I looked up on YouTube for some core exercises. I seem to be round shouldered and have to strengthen that up. They say good stomach muscles will help to get me better posture.i'm pleased to have you to talk with.
  • ripa48
    ripa48 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi- I'm also a senior and just came on this site, so I really don't know what I'm doing. It's always great to have friends to talk to.
  • reallyrosy
    reallyrosy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I got an email asking me to click on link but when I did, even tho I I have the app in my phone I got a msj saying it couldn't find an app. Still, this is way better than the older app. I have 3x/week personal trainer and have done since 2011. I also do yoga and sometimes go to gym on my own. With the arthritis, I'm grounded. I cant get any sense of actuually working out in the pool. Core exercises are good! I do toe taps, bridges, leg lifts . Today I did 15 min on elliptical! I find that very low impact on my ankles.

Does your pcp or an endocrinologist reg ur thyroid meds?
  • eyegirl777va
    eyegirl777va Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP and am a Senior too (70). I am trying to learn my way around this site. I need to lose 25-30 pounds and have had a very hard time losing any amount. Doing a 1200 cal. to start.
  • ceco345
    Options
    Hi eyegirl777va and here I thought I was the only senior. My biggest problem is to convert thinking into kilograms which we are using while you all talk in pounds. But I will get there. After losing 9 kg the traditional way (watching kilojoules, no fat blah blah) over a year I am trying this one now. Admittedly it feels almost "sinful" having my coffee with cream instead of low fat milk.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm not a senior, but my aunt is on here (and has been for about 10 months) and she's 70. Her username is millimarie44, and I think she could benefit from having some more friends to cheer her on. She lost about 50 pounds last year (we got a dog), but started MFP after about 20.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Hi there!! I'm not a senior, but wanted to Stop by and say good luck on your journey and that you can do it!! :-)
  • ShariWin
    Options
    My husband will 76 next month and I turned 70 last October and are both on MFP. We "took a year off" and gained weight , , , but on Jan. 2nd started back. We both have iPads and do our own logging which is a real encouragement to each other. By the way, my hubby is new to this computer stuff and doing so well. We both know that the weight comes off slower as we age, but we will just keep on going. :)
  • jydmm
    Options
    I go to my regular dr for my thyroid. I had tests done the thyroid by a endocrinologist and he found it in good condition and in it's regular size.
    Been going to the gym for 3 months and it is time to increase my workout days.
    It sounds as though you arthritis is quite serious. I have Blepharospasm which is my eyes close uncontrollably. I am unable to drive and have a difficult time getting around outside. My daughters are a great help to me by taking me to wherever I need to go. Like going to the gym. My youngest daughter can take me only till April. I have free admission to the gym, but it costs her. April will be nice weather and I still do my own yard work.
  • jydmm
    Options
    reallyrosy wrote: »
    I got an email asking me to click on link but when I did, even tho I I have the app in my phone I got a msj saying it couldn't find an app. Still, this is way better than the older app. I have 3x/week personal trainer and have done since 2011. I also do yoga and sometimes go to gym on my own. With the arthritis, I'm grounded. I cant get any sense of actuually working out in the pool. Core exercises are good! I do toe taps, bridges, leg lifts . Today I did 15 min on elliptical! I find that very low impact on my ankles.

Does your pcp or an endocrinologist reg ur thyroid meds?

I go to my regular dr for my thyroid. I had tests done the thyroid by a endocrinologist and he found it in good condition and in it's regular size.
    Been going to the gym for 3 months and it is time to increase my workout days.
    It sounds as though you arthritis is quite serious. I have Blepharospasm which is my eyes close uncontrollably. I am unable to drive and have a difficult time getting around outside. My daughters are a great help to me by taking me to wherever I need to go. Like going to the gym. My youngest daughter can take me only till April. I have free admission to the gym, but it costs her. April will be nice weather and I still do my own yard work.
  • nutty192
    nutty192 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I am 73 and have been using MFP for about 3 months and have lost 21 lbs. Starting at around 200 lbs, I still have a way to go. I guess the piriformis problem is causing sciatica, ouch. I had 3 months in bed last year because I could not walk or sit, due to sciatica, but now I am heaps better and this morning swam 34 lengths (25 metre pool) so I am sure you can do it. We are all here to help each other. Nutty
  • FrancesAnnLFM
    Options
    Hi I am 62 but my body age is 72 I have Hashimotos thyroid disease,diabetes two bad kneecaps and walk with 3 wheel walker outside, i do tai chi or senior dvds...I started last year at 238 dropped to 222 now i am at 217 if i drink too much diet soda the water weight gain makes my scale glow in the dark..LOL I will love to have any seniors as MFP friends I can relate to everyone here, we are like rice crispies we snap crackle pop but we still keep going..i use tiny 1/2 pound wrist weights and dumbells I can no longer even lift my 5 pound dumbells..I have those bungee resistance bands but i seem to get tangled up in them...anyone wants to share ideas recipes encouragement how we cope with our bodies aging all the hand rails shower grab bars we use ect ect ect