Working out and dieting, but gaining weight? HELP!!

Options
bryansolis18
bryansolis18 Posts: 8
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys. So I have most around 17 pounds in the last year at my lowest weight. I was doing all of this dieting to prepare myself for basketball tryouts, but even after all my weight loss, I was still not athletic enough to make the team. I really got demotivated and stopped keeping a narrow track of my food and have took a break from working out. Since it was also the holiday season, you guessed it, I gained a lot of weight. Around 10 pounds.

My goal is to get to 150 by tryouts next year and I started dieting working out again with a weight of 160 pounds this new year. O have been keeping track of my food and without 4-5 times a week. I do admit, I do go over my calorie needs somedays, but I always make sure I never exceed my maintenance calorie needs when I do. Even after all of this, I've gone from 160 to now 162.3 in my first three weeks back to working out. I really do need help from experts because this is really frustrating to me. Thank you forum friends!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How old and how tall are you?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's normal to retain water when starting a new exercise program. Can you open your diary?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    As ever you are most likely eating moe than you think or burning less .
    The other alternative is water as above coupld with natural body fluctuation.

What the other said how tall and open your diary please.
  • Platypusimus
    Platypusimus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Also worth noting, are your clothes more snug, the same, or looser? Because muscle is more dense than fat. So you could be gaining weight, but losing fat. Or as was said above, you could be retaining water. Maybe your focus should be on getting and keeping physically fit?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    But more importantly, how old are you?
  • 999tigger
    Options
    It says hes 19
  • malibu927
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    It says hes 19

Because kids don't lie about their age on the internet...
  • threefancy35
    threefancy35 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Basketball is more about skill than weight.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It says hes 19

I didnt say they dont, but do you have any proof they are? At some stage you have to take what people say at face value or you can just go for everyone being a liar until they prove otherwise. Good luck with that.
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I assume you're eating back the calories you're burning from working out? If so that may be the issue - a lot of estimates are pretty high. Try switching to only eating back half the estimated calories, and see how you feel/if there are any weight changes
  • malibu927
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It says hes 19

I didnt say they dont, but do you have any proof they are? At some stage you have to take what people say at face value or you can just go for everyone being a liar until they prove otherwise. Good luck with that.

But I'm also not going to give advice to someone who is too young for MFP. If he's talking about joining a basketball team, it sounds like he's still in high school.