college student looking for support on my weight loss journey

Options
hiya, I'm Sylvia & I am 22 & a full time college student who also works. So, as you can imagine eating healthy can sometimes be a struggle because I'm just so short of time.

I have struggled with my weight all my life unfortunately. My freshmen year in high school I weighed 240 pounds and was severely made fun of. However, I managed to take the weighed off and get down to 170 but in the process I had also developed eating disorders and become unhealthy. I went through a lot of counseling to help me get over my eating disorders but I have never learned to love my body! ....

Currently I have gained all my weight back and then some. I weigh the most I have ever weighed at 280 pounds. I refuse to reach 300 hundred pounds.!!! I want to lose this weight and keep it off not only for myself and my health but for my future children when I decide to have them. I don't want them to be embarrassed of mommy because she is fat & I definitely don't want them to go through what I went through. I feel if I get this weight off I'll learn how to and be more equipped to give my future kids the healthy tools they need.
However, I know if I take on this weight loss journey alone I have a risk of developing eating disorders again! I am looking for friends and support but I'm want to give back and help others if I can. So give me an add & hopefully we can climb this mountain together and come out on top healthier than before.

Replies

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Hey there Sylvia,
    Firstly, welcome to the MFP community!

It sounds like you have the determination in the right place to give yourself the best possible start to the healthy lifestyle that you deserve.

As for food. there are some absolutely delishous recipe ideas to fit into every different diet and lifestyle imaginable over in the recipe (clickable link) section of the forum.

I'm not about to say that it's an easy journey (as I'm positive you already know) but what I will say is that it is always worth it. Keep up the awesome attitude and determination for success and I know you can reach your goals!

All the very best.
    Adam
  • SylviaGem
    SylviaGem Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much Adam for your kind words and the recipes I will totally check them out! Lord knows I need all the help Can get!! If you don't mind I'm going to go ahead and add you!
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    SylviaGem wrote: »
    Thank you so much Adam for your kind words and the recipes I will totally check them out! Lord knows I need all the help Can get!! If you don't mind I'm going to go ahead and add you!

I don't mind you adding me at all!

Eyes on the prize and you will reach those goals.. One thing I love to remind people is this isn't a 'diet' it's a lifestyle change and one that I can tell that you want. We have to break some old habits to make new ones and then we get to reap the benefits of all our hard work just by feeling outselves get stronger week by week.. you got this!!
  • rgmooney66
    rgmooney66 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me
  • SylviaGem
    SylviaGem Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Exactly Adam I realize that it is a lifestyle change and I am ready to make it! I have already quit sodas over the past 4 days & started drinking herbal teas. Making the small necessary steps are gonna get me there along with the support of others!
  • waxflower
    Options
    Hi there, I'm a working college student, too. It can be ridiculously easy to fall into eating unhealthily when you've been out all day at work and school and don't want to bother. That's my issue on class days, anyways! Feel free to add me. :smile:
  • emmab852012
    emmab852012 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am not in college but feel the same way... its hard to love yourself when you have the extra weight weighing you down. I am almost 30 and have been overweight by whole life. Also made fun of in school for being "fat" Its a hard and long journey and I am still struggling every day. Its good to keep adding foods in your journal it helps make you accountable for what you are eating! Feel free to add me as well I always like and need the motivation and support myself. Good luck!