Electrolytes

Options
Several questions.

1. Is the claim that you need to replace more than water, meaning electrolytes, true, or sports drink marketing crap?

2. Assuming it is true, anyone got a recommendation that is lower sugar than gatorade? One bottle blew my sugar goal for today.

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Several questions.

1. Is the claim that you need to replace more than water, meaning electrolytes, true, or sports drink marketing crap?

2. Assuming it is true, anyone got a recommendation that is lower sugar than gatorade? One bottle blew my sugar goal for today.

Eat an apple and a handful of salted snacks with your water.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's almost always marketing crap.

If you're an a average, healthy person who is just working out for an hour, it is unlikely that you would need sports drink. Not trying to dump on Gatorade or whatever else is out there, but most of our bodies don't need much help with maintaining electrolyte balances...or much of anything, really. When they do need help, they generally ask for it, like sending out thirst signals to say, "I need some water in here, please!"

Double-check with your doctor for your personal needs! But don't drink Gatorade because Gatorade tells you that need it. :)