Alcohol question

earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
Basically, how does alcohol fit into the macros. I just logged a glass of pinot noir which had 180 calories and 6 g of carbs. I assume the rest of the calories come from the alcohols in it. How does that fit in with the rest of the macros? Is alcohol the only thing that is truly empty calories?

If it is, that is definitely some tasty emptiness! I don't drink much but I have some wine left over from book club last night and don't want it to go to waste so I will be working in a glass for the next couple of days until it is gone. I was able to send the leftover cheesecake and M&M's home with several of the group, keeping the cheese, wine and almonds for myself <3

Replies

• getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    I took a nutrition class last semester, and my professor told me that alcohol is empty calories... It's pretty much void of nutritional value BUT that doesn't stop me! As long as the calories fit into my day, I will have me a glass of red wine(:
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited January 2015
    Alcohol is actually a fourth macro.

And that glass of pinot was pretty large? I believe a red is going to be approximately 25 cals per ounce, give or take depending on alcohol content and varietal.

ETA: And not empty - provides energy. Just not nutrients (though you're getting some of those from the wrapper of your alcohol, in this case, grapes!)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited January 2015
    Cortelli wrote: »

And that glass of pinot was pretty large? I believe a red is going to be approximately 25 cals per ounce, give or take depending on alcohol content and varietal.

ETA: And not empty - provides energy. Just not nutrients (though you're getting some of those from the wrapper of your alcohol, in this case, grapes!)

What he said. It's the fourth macro and I think about 7 kcals per gram. It does have energy, but your body treats it as a toxin so your liver goes to work processing it before anything else from what I've read. But, you're not taking in many micronutrients (or none for pure alcohol), nor is it very satiating, so one is apt to take in even more calories in order to satisfy the hunger and therefore over eat.
    Or one could be that painfully thin drunk, unhealthy guy we all know who is alive but malnourished.
  • earlnabby

It was 1.5 of a standard 5 oz. serving ( and yes, I measured it in a measuring cup for liquids). I weigh or measure everything (well, I do eyeball my leafy greens when I have a salad but I weigh the tomatoes)

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Your wine was only 11-12% alcohol probably and Pinots are usually fairly dry, so little residual sugar. It may have been a sweeter than I recall as 180 kcals sounds high for a dry red.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

It was 1.5 of a standard 5 oz. serving ( and yes, I measured it in a measuring cup for liquids). I weigh or measure everything (well, I do eyeball my leafy greens when I have a salad but I weigh the tomatoes)

Then it sounds like you nailed it. And indeed it is tasty emptiness, isn't it?
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    I am on my 3rd glass as we speak. CHEERS
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Do we really need it to fit into our macros? Can't we just enjoy? Mmmm...Whisky. Cheers!
  • earlnabby
    Do we really need it to fit into our macros? Can't we just enjoy? Mmmm...Whisky. Cheers!

I was more curious than anything. In my case, I enjoy wine, beer, and cider moe than anything and my ultimate favorite is brut bubbly. Slainte'!!!

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    The main thing is make if fit your cals.

Red wine is a great part of a healthy diet.

It offers antioxidants and taste great to boot.

It is always advisable to drink any alcohol with a meal and if you are drinking spirits to mix them and make them long drinks (although that's not always possible - single malts)
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    edited January 2015
    My wifes grandmother used to say the secret to her life was having a glass of red wine a day.

I'm not exaggerating that the glass was literally a 7-11 Super Gulp cup....hahaha it was funny.

I'm amazed that there has ever been a person in recorded history who accurately tracked their alcohol consumption.
  • manukahoneybadger
    manukahoneybadger Posts: 30 Member
    I'm on poverty macros, still leave couple humdred cals spare for drinkies, which I have more than couple of hundred cals worth of... if I'm gonna be fat I definitely wanna be drunk :D
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    edited April 2015
    macros - carbs, proteins, fats, ethanol
    carbs & proteins - about 4 calories per gram
    fat - about 9 calories per gram
    ethanol - pretty much in the middle, about 7 calories per gram, and mostly just calories, no helpful nutrition

if you get blackout drunk, the body forgets about those calories and they dont count
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

Not gonna lie as I have asked the question in it's own thread before, but I really don't think we process all the calories in alcohol, therefore, they should not be counted towards calorie counts :) <----last part was a bit of sarcasm, but I'm a little serious...
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member

It is always advisable to drink any alcohol with a meal and if you are drinking spirits to mix them and make them long drinks (although that's not always possible - single malts)

I'm glad you put that last caveat in there, because if you were mixing anything with a single malt, I'd have to hunt you down and give you a stern talking to.

I won't even sully my Islay malts with ICE.
  • earlnabby
    EWJLang wrote: »

I'm glad you put that last caveat in there, because if you were mixing anything with a single malt, I'd have to hunt you down and give you a stern talking to.

Sounds like me with my bubbly. How dare anyone add things like orange juice (mimosas) or peach nectar (bellinis). Give me a good brut or prosecco, ice cold, and keep the other stuff away from it!

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member

Sounds like me with my bubbly. How dare anyone add things like orange juice (mimosas) or peach nectar (bellinis). Give me a good brut or prosecco, ice cold, and keep the other stuff away from it!

I CONCUR WITH YOUR WISDOM.

~cuddles bottle of Veuve Cliquot~
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member

With the exception of a few frozen grapes to keep it chilly :)
  • earlnabby

I CONCUR WITH YOUR WISDOM.

~cuddles bottle of Veuve Cliquot~

I have my glass ready. When are you popping the cork???

• MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member

I bought my husband a set of Whiskey Disks, so he could have his scotch cold, without the dilution.