The dreaded post-pregancy pooch... moms, you know what I'm talking about - how'd you lose it?

Options
As I get closer to the goal weight/look I'd like to achieve (I have 20 more lbs or so to go), I'd love to know what those of you who have had kids have done to lose weight or tone this stubborn area. Even better, I'd love to see pictures of those of you who have had success with this (before and after) so I know it is possible!

Thanks so much!!!

Replies

• Cheriels82
    Cheriels82 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    14 lbs from my goal. Still have the pooch ! Sigh. I want to know too!
  • michelle_816
    michelle_816 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Anyone? I know there has to be some success stories out there from moms who have found some way to get this area back into shape!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I had two kids while I was obese and I have a flat stomach now. I still have loose skin (I posted a picture of it on the last page of this thread):
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Running. It flattens the stomach. I've got two kids, both by c/s. Running is the only thing that worked to flatten.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Running. It flattens the stomach. I've got two kids, both by c/s. Running is the only thing that worked to flatten.

Running is one way to help burn calories.

A flat stomach comes down to two factors. Low body fat and adequate lean mass. Dieting burns fat and lean mass. Dieting plus cardio burns fat and lean mass. Dieting plus strength training burns mostly fat and helps preserve lean mass.

Adding in running can help make sure you can eat a bit more, but strength training is important to improved body composition as you lose weight.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    usmcmp knows what she's talking about.

It's not easy! I had a flat stomach pre-pregnancy. Post 2 babies (and way too much weight gain) and c-sections, I found that I have to be about 5 lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight to have a flat tummy (I still have really loose skin & stretch marks- no bikini for me!) and lifting heavy weights has helped a ton with my body shape.

You can do it, it just takes time, patience and hard work unless you're one of those genetically gifted people that bounces right back after a baby.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Also, hate to be the bearer of bad news but you might always have a little bump- not fat but just a rounded belly. Pregnancy changes a lot about your anatomy, some of those changes are temporary and some are not.
    Not exactly saying this is true in your case, but it depends on a lot of factors.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    kramrn77 wrote: »
    Also, hate to be the bearer of bad news but you might always have a little bump- not fat but just a rounded belly. Pregnancy changes a lot about your anatomy, some of those changes are temporary and some are not.
    Not exactly saying this is true in your case, but it depends on a lot of factors.

It's true that many women have a small bump on the lower part of our stomachs. Most of the time that's due to poor posture and internal organs. Strength training fixes that. I grew up with the lower belly bump. When you build up your stomach muscles and lose the fat the bump disappears.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've had 4 kids, with the youngest 2 being fairly close together. My stomach is still not flat and smooth like it was 15 years ago, but I have seen major improvements with running and heavy lifting. I can even see a couple abs if the light hits my tummy just right. :wink: I didn't gain more weight than recommended with my pregnancies, and I've never been terribly overweight, but I do still have some looser skin around my middle and a horizontal crease in the skin that will probably never go away. My biggest gripe is the love handle appearance I have because of the loose skin in that area.

Anyhow, I don't think it ever goes away completely, but everything usmcmp says is truth.
  • michelle_816
    Options
    usmcmp knows what she's talking about.

It's not easy! I had a flat stomach pre-pregnancy. Post 2 babies (and way too much weight gain) and c-sections, I found that I have to be about 5 lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight to have a flat tummy (I still have really loose skin & stretch marks- no bikini for me!) and lifting heavy weights has helped a ton with my body shape.

You can do it, it just takes time, patience and hard work unless you're one of those genetically gifted people that bounces right back after a baby.

LOL! Definitely not one of those that bounces back quickly. My oldest is 10 and I was overweight when I had him. I was a touch lighter when I got pregnant with #2 8 1/2 months later. I delivered both boys by c section.

kramrn77 wrote: »

I know I may not lose it all, but I definitely know that I can help the appearance of what I have currently. I have about 20 lbs to lose and toning to do all around so I am hoping that will help in this area too!
  • michelle_816
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!

I am slowly getting back into running and just got the tour of weight machines at the Y. I honestly have always feared looking like an idiot using those, but I am glad I learned how to use them properly.
  • Polishprinsezz
    Polishprinsezz Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Here is my belly before and after losing 100lbs and having five kids. I earned this body and it bears my scars and tells my story. I am happy. 6kcoh19zkwsc.jpg
  • usmcmp
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Here are my before and after pictures. The before picture was taken almost a year after having my last baby.
    IMG_20130924_060656_zpsc30772ab.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1380639685183_zps218147ba.jpg
  • maymason23
    maymason23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As I get closer to the goal weight/look I'd like to achieve (I have 20 more lbs or so to go), I'd love to know what those of you who have had kids have done to lose weight or tone this stubborn area. Even better, I'd love to see pictures of those of you who have had success with this (before and after) so I know it is possible!

Thanks so much!!!

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. After giving birth to my 2 gorgeous boys my body has somewhat loose all shape & I'm hoping that it is still possible to get back, or at least close to my pre-pregnancy weight. I have 25 lbs to lose & any tips I pick up on this thread will be greatly appreciated.

• oct2889
    Options
    Wow usmcmp.... I need to know your secrets!!
  • jontucc
    jontucc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 kids and my tummy is still so big I keep getting asked if I am pregnant even though my youngest is now 3.5yo. I have only started to try and get in better shape. Am joining this thread to pick up some tips.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!