Can I lose weight by eating lean cuisine?

Options
I have gained seven pounds since I live in Texas and that is close to be overweight for a girl my height (5'2). I want to everything to lose weight. So I was wondering if I could eat lean cuisine to lose weight. Has anyone done this?

Replies

• mistere627
    mistere627 Posts: 35 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you set a goal and eat within your calorie limit, you will lose weight. Personally I'd prefer something tastier and more filling than Lean Cuisine, but each person should do what works best for them.

Oh, and hello fellow Texan!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    If it gets you below your caloric maintenance needs, yes. If you wind up eating above your maintenance needs, then no.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I have gained seven pounds since I live in Texas and that is close to be overweight for a girl my height (5'2). I want to everything to lose weight. So I was wondering if I could eat lean cuisine to lose weight. Has anyone done this?

Are you able to cook? You could make things that taste better than Lean Cuisine. But eating at a caloric deficit is paramount for weight loss, so yes.
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I eat it when I need a quick meal and am too lazy to make something. In the end I am usually starving and the sodium seems to cause water weight. Much better cooking something if you can.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Are you eating less calories than you burn in your daily activities? If so then yes. If no then no.
  • JillLynnJohnston
    JillLynnJohnston Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Please don't eat Lean Cuisine. In my humble opinion, it is toxic garbage. Just the sodium alone makes it a NONhealthy food. Shoot for permanently changing the way you think about food, why you eat, what you eat, etc., and then go for the good stuff. This should include peeling, chopping, steaming, baking, etc. Before you get ready to eat something, ask yourself, "What's in it for me?" If you can name some qualities like vitamins or protein, then you are on the right track.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I too will eat frozen dinner if I'm feeling lazy. I agree with max in that the sodium in lean cuisine can be a bit high so make sure you watch that. Some of the all natural brands or even healthy choice often have less sodium. Also always plan to supplement your frozen meal with extra veggies or a salad to make it more filling.

So to answer your question yes if you are eating less calories than you are burning you can lose weight eating frozen dinners. However, I think it will get old really fast and it won't be sustainable....so what will happen when you go back to real yummy TX food? Yep you'll gain those 7 pounds back (if not more)! Why not make a few easier changes and learn how to manage your weight the right way?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Processed food as has been mentioned really has no place if health gains is the #1 goal. One can undereat about anything and lose weight in the short run.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    yes, you can do it. it is expensive, monotonous, and extremely high in sodium. you'll gain water weight, but if you eat below your caloric needs you will lose weight.

i did that for a while but i just couldn't keep it up for the rest of my life, which is why i considered myself "on a diet", because i wasn't "improving my diet".

i'm improving my diet now.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I eat them (along with a variety of frozen meal companies) when I want a quick mini-meal and I am feelin glazy. They are tasty. Lots of people say, "Don't eat them too much sodium and too processed!" Well...to each his/her own.
  • lissaawatson
    Options
    yes you can, but they are very high in sodium. I had problems with bloating and swelling
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You CAN, yeah, but all that sodium is reeeally not good for you. Rely too heavily on that *kitten* and not only will you be completely dependent on processed, sub-par foods, but too much sodium can result in high blood pressure and even kidney issues. I'm not saying don't eat them - if it works it works, but don't rely on them. Consider your nutrition from a broad perspective.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Short answer yes

Long answer
    Any weight watchers meal tends to be fairly rubbish nutritionally as mentioned above but they also taste like crap
    You can find ready made meals with decent nutritional balances to supplement your general diet which have ok calories that taste OK ... My go to ready made meals when I can't be bothered are things like Innocent veggie pots, over huge amounts of watercress, rocket and spinach salad, M&S ranges - I go for their normal ranges and pick the food carefully eg Taste of Vietnam Chicken noodle Bun cha is under 350 calories and yum as is their salmon teriyaki

But if you live on lean cuisine you'll get miserable ...you'll lose weight but as soon as you eat normally It will all come back with some more

So if say a little won't hurt but following the learning curve of what foods to buy, how to cook and portion size to meet your calorie defecit and eventually your macros

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Of course you can, but they are high in sodium. My cottage cheese (which nobody ever seems to care about) is higher though :)

15 years ago, I lost 100 lbs eating only frozen foods. It can be done if you have a deficit.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Yes.

It'd be cheaper and less gross to buy food, prep meals ahead of time, and freeze as needed.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I lost plenty of weight eating LCs and Smart Ones years ago. I'm much happier cooking my own food because I can add more protein and just make it much more satisfying. Nothing sadder to me than an mushy Lean Cusisine.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    All that's required for weight loss is a caloric deficit.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I tried Lean Cuisine and the portions were just too small and I was always starving. I do better eating a big salad with lots of different veggies. But, whatever works for you is what you should do. Try it and if it isn't working try something else.