Freezeable Lunches

sarahyourprincess
sarahyourprincess Posts: 36 Member
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
As part of my resolution to do more cooking with real food and less premade freezer meals I've been trying desperately to find good recipes for things I can make in batches, freeze then bring to work with me as needed. I'm a nurse and working my minimal 12 hour shifts and add on roughly 1hour each way to commute doesn't leave me with alot of time to cook post work.

So far, I have managed to find a really good black bean and ground turkey burrito that I was able to make en masse and freeze, but I'm looking for more variety.

Do you guys have go to freezable meal recipes?
Or how do you pack lunches, do you do it daily?

Any recipes or thoughts on how to improve this would be amazing,
thanks!

Replies

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Soups and stews are the easiest in my opinion. You can make it in a large crockpot, while you are at work, then portion it and freeze. I am in the habit of making one a week so I have a variety on hand. I plan my menu ahead of time, right now I am using Pinterest to assist me by adding a "Next Week's Menu" board. I plan at least 2 or 3 meals a day for work, I work in a group home and am much like a nurse minus the RN, and have to work around food issues as well. I never leave home without my LARGE lunch cooler! The other thing I like to do is use the crockpot to make shredded chicken, beef or pork and make sandwiches, salads or tacos from that. You can do that while you are at work and then portion it when you get in for leftovers. I definitely batch cook on my days off, and make some semblance of breakfast that can be reheated but I only make a week and don't freeze that. This week was sausage, baby kale, mushroom and egg cups. I made 6 and portioned them for the week. I make different things as I get tired of what I had.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Crockpot makes a small lunch sized crockpot now as well- I work nights and was thinking that I might make soups and stews in my large home crockpot on days off and take frozen, preportioned servings on the nights I work. Anyway, that's today's theory.
  • I usually buy everything fresh except vegetables! I get those frozen. On my off day (none training) I go to the store and buy my groceries and prep my food for a whole week.
  • natashajf
    natashajf Posts: 35 Member
    I'm big on freezer meals, every time I cook I make at least 2 extra portions if not more, makes it so each to prepare lunch, just take a container out of the freezer. Just put 3 portions of a japanese beef curry in the freezer.
    I have a range of curries that I like - some with meat some vegetarian - most of them east 1 pot cooking. Plus a couple of mexican dishes where you prepare the filling and freeze it then just have it with a wrap, salad, ...