Weightwatchers VS MFP

Options
EmmyRose
EmmyRose Posts: 54 Member
Hello helloo

So, a question that I'm sure has been asked many times...
My mum is currently doing Weight watchers, and has been successful and has lost about 7-8 kilos (10-15lbs)
Now, my question is, is that, on MFP you log all your food, including fruit and veg.
However, in weight watchers, all raw fruit and vegies is zero points so it doesn't count toward your daily limit, no matter how high the natural sugar content. Beacause it's not a processed food, weight watchers says you can have 2 serves of fruit and 5 serves of vegies a day, as long as they're raw, with a zero point count.
Now, I haven't been logging my fruit and raw vegies into my MFP account, would this be a wise decision?
What's the difference between logging and not, if weight watchers has it as 0 points...

Also, is there anyone that HAS done both and can compare the two?

Replies

• luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I've never done weight watchers, but I do know that fruits and vegetables contain calories, carbs, sugar and even sodium. MFP does track those things.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you really should be logging fruits and veggies.... the idea that they are "free" is kind of silly.... every little bit adds up, I've learned that its better to be conservative and log everything than to leave anything off.

Personally, I've done both WW and MFP.... and I really like the freedom of MFP... WW makes you feel bad for eating things that you enjoy.... I don't appreciate that. Not to mention the pay aspect of WW.
  • danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm actually doing both at the moment just to see how many calories I average daily. It's around 1100-1300 each day, including veggies and fruits. :happy:
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Fruit and veg can definitely add up... If I remember right, 5 servings of raw carrots are upward of 250 calories....

Just saying. I log all my veggies (mostly to remember to eat them, though.)
  • nannyciriaco
    Options
    I have done WW for years, and try to still stay in line with it now...but I was really getting into a rut...it is only this new program that allows no points for fruits and veggies, but there is a big warning about overeating on the zero point foods..you will gain by doing that...I needed to keep track of everything, I found out that I was consuming too much sodium ...I was very successful with WW, but was getting very bord and needed more freedom...I like tracking the calories muc better
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    yeah i don't get the 0 point thing at all. you can have up to 8 bananas per day for 0 points? ok. because that's over 700 calories right there.

i count everything.
  • mamato3inca
    mamato3inca Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've done both and there are pluses and minuses to both. WW pluses (to me) zero point items, flex points to use through out the week and the accountability of weekly weigh ins. MFP pluses, FREE to join, easy access to the website and phone app, barcode scanner (huge plus to me) and very large food data base.

I don't agree that the zero point items are silly, they are built into the WW program. I also don't agree that WW is less flexible.

I do think either one will get you to your goal IF you follow it. It's all in what you prefer. HTH.
  • common_housecat
    Options
    The reason they did the "fruits and veggies are free" thing is because a lot of people would bypass them for unhealthy things of the same cost. Why spend 2 points on a banana if you can have a chocolate bar instead? I agree that it can be abused, but I think it really helps people make healthier choices because after all, dieting should be a change in lifestyle and not just a quick fix. If free fruits and veggies = more nutritious choices that keep you fuller longer then I don't see a problem with it.
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    yeah i don't get the 0 point thing at all. you can have up to 8 bananas per day for 0 points? ok. because that's over 700 calories right there.

i count everything.

^What she said. Also the best part about MFP is that it's FREE. Can't beat that. :smile:
  • EmmyRose
    EmmyRose Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    No no, you don't have 8 bananas and not count the points.
    As I said in my post, you can have 2 serves of fruit and 5 serves of vegies, and that will be 0 points, but if you go over that, you have to log them.
    And also weight watchers accumulates the fruit and vegies into your points allocation so you're not losing out.
    But, clearly WW isn't that bad, as it's been so successful with so many people, including my mum, and nothing has worked for her, except WW.
    I think it's excellent.
    I've tried MFP before, but because I don't have that accountability of weighing in every week and going to meetings, I dropped it.
    But now I'm doing both, and they're both equal in their points/calories which is good. IT means it's even.
    I go on MFP because the community is so good and can help you get out of situations where you might otherwise faulter.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I think they are free because if your really eating the correct "serving" size, then even eating 5 servings of veggies a day won't be a whole lot, and will probably even out with the points you are watching. I think WW seems to have a pretty good success rate without making people starve, but I personally like MFP better...and well its free. lol
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have done both and I prefer MFP. I log all my fruits and veggies-I want to ensure I am eating my fruits and veggies each day. I can look back and see where I may have not had as many vegetables as I wanted for a day.

I would suggest entering the information.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I must be behind the times because last time I did it (which was last year) most veggies were zero points and fruits had points, min of 1.

So if it's changed, not really sure what to say however I do agree that why would you not count those calories? Many of those things that are *free* do really add up and can cause other problems besides weight gain.

I prefer MFP....I like knowing exactly what the food is and not just a number WW assigned it as well as...IT'S FREE! :drinker:
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Just a thought -- asking people's opinions about comparing the two programs, ON the forum for one program, will yield you a pretty biased sample. Not surprisingly at all, most people have said that they prefer MFP. Duh! They're still here! Ask a similar question on the WW site, and your responses would likely be different.
  • ld_russell
    ld_russell Posts: 2
    Options
    I am currently doing both. I totally abused the 0 points for fruit thing which is sabotaging my WW goals. I decided to try MFP to see my caloric intake. WOW. Umm...500 extra calories a day...just on fruit! No wonder! I like that I'm able to see my caloric intake daily. If WW were to track caloric intake again, I would stick with it but I'm going to track both WW and MFP for two full weeks to see the difference. I'm beginning to re-evaluate the fundamentals of WW. It may not be aligned with mine anymore.