Thoughts on squats

Options
Megdonald1
Megdonald1 Posts: 149 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Just curious to find out what everyone thinks.

Is it better to lift lighter weight and go "ATG" or heavier weight and go parallel? And why?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Do you mean ATG? Depends on your goals, preferences, squatting style and mobility.
  • Megdonald1
    Options
    oops yeah! Changed it. Thanks
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I go just below parallel (and parallel means the TOP of your thighs parallel to the floor not the bottom). I can't go any farther or my butt will start to round under. I also do low bar for preference.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I go just under legal parallel. For me personally, it allows me room to develop the explosive power I need on heavier weights to break past my sticking point.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I go just under legal parallel. For me personally, it allows me room to develop the explosive power I need on heavier weights to break past my sticking point.

Same here, just below parallel.
    Every once in a while I'll narrow my stance just a bit and go ATG but not that often.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    by ATG you mean "All The Girlz" right?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ATG here. I can't not do them that way. For me, it's my natural movement and doing less would make it choppy and uncomfortable.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    ATG or it doesn't count for me.
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can do ATG. Have someone watch or take a vid. You should stop at the bottom where your butt is rounding under (butt wink). Otherwise you take the chance of really messing up your back. Lots of info on the web about this
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Agree with most of the above. I just break parallel on my back squats (I have to high bar it, but luckily I've got developed traps for cushion). I do ATG on front squats because it's a more natural movement, though.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    It will also depend on what kind of squats you are doing... Low vs high bar.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    depends on:
    A: mobility
    B: bar position

If you want to move more weight, obviously just below parallel is the option. (the rule for most powerlifting feds)
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    by ATG you mean "All The Girlz" right?

That's what I'm hoping!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    After I had knee surgery (not related to lifting) I was told to not go below parallel with Squats or Lunges as with that changes in my knee because of taking some arthritic cartilage out during the surgery it would cause excessive internal wear. I preferred going lower, but now I stop at parallel or just below.
  • Megdonald1
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I usually do parallel but lately I've been sing a lot of ATG so I thought I would do a check in with everyone.
  • sp940
    sp940 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think the more important concern should be maintaining proper form and feel like you kicked some *kitten* afterwards. Everyone's body is different...ATG works for some, parallel for others. Also what's the goal...squatting weight or getting that nice round booty. :)