Need help with getting in protein

Options
Brynich
Brynich Posts: 65 Member
Hi everyone! I'm trying to bulk and I've realized that the protein macro goal for bulking is pretty high. So I was hoping you could help me by listing some sources of protein dense foods. The only things I've come up with so far are eggs and chicken breast. What else can I consume to help me meet these goals? Also, does red meat or chicken generally have a higher protein content? Thank you for any help and advice.

ETA: Approximately how much protein is really in an egg? Because I was just on a bodybuilding website which said an egg has about 6g of protein in it, meanwhile another site said each egg has about 13g of protein (which is more than twice as much as what the bodybuilding site said).

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Any meat, fish, sea food, cheese, milk (full fat if you need the cals), beans...
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you trying to consume?
    What is your bodyweight?

You don't need extreme amounts of protein (bulking or cutting) to see results.
    .8g/lb will suffice. Normally I simply round up to 1g/lb because it's easy.

Eat more protein than the recommended .8g/lb will not yield more muscle or better results.
  • Brynich
    Options
    My bodyweight is about 155-157 pounds and last time I checked I was around 6 ft flat. Really all I need is .8g/lb? That's a relief, because I read somewhere that I should be getting about 2-3g of protein per kg of bodyweight, which would have been ridiculously high.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    An egg generally has around 6-7 grams of protein. If you use egg whites only, you can get more protein/less fat in the same volume.
  • beastcompany
    Options
    Brynich wrote: »
    My bodyweight is about 155-157 pounds and last time I checked I was around 6 ft flat. Really all I need is .8g/lb? That's a relief, because I read somewhere that I should be getting about 2-3g of protein per kg of bodyweight, which would have been ridiculously high.

That would have been about the same.

You have to remember, one kg = roughly 2.2lbs

So, take your weight and divide it by 2.2.
    155/2.2=70kg

2g/protein per kg would = 2x70 = 140g/protein daily.

Now, if we do the math I suggested.
    .8g/lb = .8x155 = 124g/protein daily.

They come out relatively close.
  • beastcompany
    Options
    An egg generally has around 6-7 grams of protein. If you use egg whites only, you can get more protein/less fat in the same volume.

You'd have to use 2x the amount of egg whites as you would whole eggs to get the same protein content.

An egg white contains roughly 1/2 the protein of the total egg.
    So you'd have to consume twice as many of them.

Not to mention, you'd be screwing yourself out of the great fat & micronutrient content provided by the yolk.
    I don't see any reason why you'd choose the whites over the whole egg.

• Brynich
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

But how much protein are you actually eating?

I actually don't know right now as I haven't counted calories in a long time. I've just been "winging it" maintaining my current weight for about a month or so after having been on a cut for approximately a year. I've just been to the gym about 3 days this week testing my 10RM's and so on and plan to officially start bulking next week, which is why I'm trying to find out the necessary macro goals, calorie goals, etc. so that I can go at it full force. Regardless, I assume that it's not nearly enough at this point as I usually just consumed maybe about 3 pieces of chicken per day and a few legumes (as it regards protein intake).
  • Brynich
    Options

That would have been about the same.

You have to remember, one kg = roughly 2.2lbs

So, take your weight and divide it by 2.2.
    155/2.2=70kg

2g/protein per kg would = 2x70 = 140g/protein daily.

Now, if we do the math I suggested.
    .8g/lb = .8x155 = 124g/protein daily.

They come out relatively close.

Thanks, I realized that they were close if you went for the 2g/kg but I think my issue was that I was calculating it more towards the 3g/kg side of things, but I see now that that would probably be overdoing it.