I must be doing something wrong!

Options
I've been focused since January 2nd. I'm eating 1200 calories per day. I have a jawbone up24 and regularly log in 10,000 steps. I'm sleeping, eating healthy and not drinking alcohol. I was down 5 lbs for a day but the 5 lbs is back. I would have thought I'd have lost something by now! I'm 5'2 is and 48 years old. Thoughts please?

Replies

• kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    A couple suggestions.
    1. Are you drinking enough water? Maybe you're just not logging it but I'm not seeing much in your diary. I'm always struggling to get my water in so I know it's not easy for everyone.
    2. Are you measuring your food? Most people find when they break out a scale or even measuring cups that their portions were not what they thought they were. If your portions aren't right your calorie count isn't correct.
    3. The 5 pounds you lost that seemed to come back could be water weight that is easily affected by hormones. I wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear again and then some in a few days.
    4. It is possible that 1200 isn't quite enough for you. However, at 5'2" I think you should be okay with 1200, at least to get things started.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't have gained 5 pounds in a day, that would mean you overate by 17500 calories. It's more likely that perhaps you were a bit dehydrated the first day, and perhaps you were retaining water or solids the second day. Relax, stick with your program, and weigh in again in a few days.

Oh, and use a food scale :D
  • valerie2742
    valerie2742 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I will try to be patient. I am drinking lots of water and weighing/measuring my food. Thanks for your responses!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i see that you measure a lot with cups.... like Kale and blueberries for example.

Its better to weigh all your solids and measure your liquids.
    Maybe you consume more calories than you think.
  • valerie2742
    Options
    Thank you for the tip. I'll start doing that with my next meal.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a food scale.
  • nosweetpea
    nosweetpea Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I used to fluctuate 5 to 8 pounds in a day. My body just was weird like that...I stopped drinking diet Coke and started drinking green tea in place of anything other than water and I am pretty consistent. At one weight watchers meeting years ago I weighed in after eating only 600 calories a day all weekend and gained weight. The instructor there yelled at me and said I must have eaten a lot more than that. My mother in law and I were together all weekend and she told the woman off. Don't get down by any negative words you are in the right place and trying; kudos to you.
  • valerie2742
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate the support. I'll be giving my scale a greater work out and will keep plugging away!
  • amyvanblaricom
    amyvanblaricom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration! I have been on this about the same time. Within the first few days I lost 5 pounds. Then one morning I had gained a pound back. Its been over 10 days of working out consistently and hard, logging and measuring what I'm eating but I haven't dropped any more weight.
  • guilleguille
    Options
    a bounce in weight is not drastic , keep you wyes in the ball, keep doing what you are doing you will be ok.

remember you will only "live" in a weight if you constantly been weighing that for more than 6 mounths.

cheers. gg
  • aliu00
    aliu00 Posts: 61
    Options
    it takes time. If you want a better result, do a detox first, then watch your diet and exercise.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    aliu00 wrote: »
    it takes time. If you want a better result, do a detox first, then watch your diet and exercise.
    Detox? If the OP has heavy metal poisoning they should be in chelation therapy at a hospital.
  • mjnewbold
    mjnewbold Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 2 and finally went to a doctor because I'd been tracking 1200 calories a day doing weight watcher etc for 2+ years and only lost a messily 14 lbs! The doctor ran tons of tests and after all were normal we decided I just can't eat as many carbohydrates as most people. I also must keep my calories under 1000 if I want to lose weight. I don't know why but it's just the case. I've finally lost 40 lbs and trying to get this last 15 off but the carbohydrates I know have made a big difference. Something you may want to concider. By the way I don't do Atkins or any named diet I try to eat low glycemic foods and not eat any bread pasta rice or potatoes. I've kind of taken bits a pieces from different diets and made it all work for me but definitely the carbs have a HUGE impact. Good luck!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    aliu00 wrote: »

There is ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE OF A DETOX PRODUCING POSITIVE RESULTS! EVER!

@valerie27 Weight is not linear. Several pound fluctuations from day to day, even within a single day, are completely normal. Hormones can affect weight. Sodium can cause water retention. Glycogen replenishment in your muscles is a water intensive process ... 2-3 grams of water retained for every gram of glycogen stored in the muscles. How much food / waste remains in the digestive tract.

Trend line your weight and be patient. I'd recommend trying to step away from the number on the scale as the goal and look more towards measurements ... areas of the body, body fat percentage, strength, speed/endurance.
  • valerie2742
    Options
    Thank you. I'll try to step away from the scale. I'm afraid it is becoming a bit of an obsession. My motivation is pure vanity at this point (while I absolutely want to be heathier). I'm taking a vacation shortly - the first one in two years - and I want to be more comfortable on the beach. After that, I'll continue as I want a healthy body weight and lifestyle.