1200 calories unreachable? help?

Options
LadyLoriAnn
LadyLoriAnn Posts: 41
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
hi all, I am back on here again (3rd times the charm) for the past year all I have been eating is MCDonald MEALS and ruffles So I put my mind to turning it around, I am 50 years old and decided on drastic change and 1200 calories is it, but I can not reach it! I go over in sugar and over in protein. Ideas, advice or help all appreciated
Lori

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It looks like you did okay yesterday. I don't see the problem.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    hi all, I am back on here again (3rd times the charm) for the past year all I have been eating is MCDonald MEALS and ruffles So I put my mind to turning it around, I am 50 years old and decided on drastic change and 1200 calories is it, but I can not reach it! I go over in sugar and over in protein. Ideas, advice or help all appreciated
    Lori

I wouldn't worry about sugar unless you have a medical problem? And plenty of protein is a good thing!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    1200 is tough. I don't have any really good suggestions other than to try to incorporate vegetables into your meals and snacks. You can eat a lot of veggies for very few calories. Going over on protein is fine, and I wouldn't worry about the sugar. I'd switch to tracking fiber rather than sugar, and work on trying to reach that fiber goal rather than staying under. Watch the sodium - even though you are under, it's still a lot given your low calorie total.
  • chriscrosse
    chriscrosse Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It is hard to stick to 1200 cal if you don't incorporate more veg. Calories in/calories out yeah but veg will help you feel more satisfied and not so hungry so fast. Doesn't look like you love to cook so perhaps get a lean cuisine or atkins type frozen meal and add 1.cup fresh broccoli or frozen veg mix(without added sauces) and nuke the meal 1/2 way, add veg and dump in another bowl and finish heating. There is usually enough sauce in the prepared meal to toss with the extra veg.
  • Happyme2009
    Happyme2009 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Over in protein is good. Over in sugar, only it it comes from fruit, is ok too.... From candy, pastry etc, not.
    I can't do 1200 either. It's impossible. Just the milk in my coffee in the morning is 260, and I need my coffee and don't like it black either. Then there are practically 1000 Cal left to eat, which is impossible to break into 3 meals, 300 cal per meal is just impossible. Throw in a snack of an apple for example, the big Apple is 120 cals... Now I gotta figure out a dinner or a lunch for about 200 cals . How in the world people are living on 1200 cal around here is a mystery to me. My solution to this was exercise... One hour in the gym would give me about 600 cal allowance , if I worked hard, so that let me eat 2000 cal a day and get the results of 1200 cal. There is no other way for me, but you must be willing, able, and have the time and energy to exercise.
    I've had personal problems and stopped going to the gym for the past 3 months, plus I didn't log anymore... I gained about 10 lbs, I am starting again and hopefully will lose those in about 8 weeks.
    Good luck to you
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ka97 wrote: »
    1200 is tough. I don't have any really good suggestions other than to try to incorporate vegetables into your meals and snacks. You can eat a lot of veggies for very few calories. Going over on protein is fine, and I wouldn't worry about the sugar. I'd switch to tracking fiber rather than sugar, and work on trying to reach that fiber goal rather than staying under. Watch the sodium - even though you are under, it's still a lot given your low calorie total.

why is 1200 tough???? I just had that for breakfast…

ETA - do you mean tough to stay under or tough to reach???
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Over in protein is good. Over in sugar, only it it comes from fruit, is ok too.... From candy, pastry etc, not.
    I can't do 1200 either. It's impossible. Just the milk in my coffee in the morning is 260, and I need my coffee and don't like it black either. Then there are practically 1000 Cal left to eat, which is impossible to break into 3 meals, 300 cal per meal is just impossible. Throw in a snack of an apple for example, the big Apple is 120 cals... Now I gotta figure out a dinner or a lunch for about 200 cals . How in the world people are living on 1200 cal around here is a mystery to me. My solution to this was exercise... One hour in the gym would give me about 600 cal allowance , if I worked hard, so that let me eat 2000 cal a day and get the results of 1200 cal. There is no other way for me, but you must be willing, able, and have the time and energy to exercise.
    I've had personal problems and stopped going to the gym for the past 3 months, plus I didn't log anymore... I gained about 10 lbs, I am starting again and hopefully will lose those in about 8 weeks.
    Good luck to you

please explain the bolded part…

sugar = sugar
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Lori

I wouldn't worry about sugar unless you have a medical problem? And plenty of protein is a good thing!

^ listen to this...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Plenty of protein is good.

Going over on sugar, if it's from fruit or lactose in milk or yogurt, is fine.

Sticking to around 1200 can be done if you eat plenty of vegetables and watch your portions of starchy carbs since they are calorically dense.

I eat around that amount. My diary is public if you want to look. I eat my main meal at lunch, you can see my portions for vegetables are very large.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your issue is that you're trying to dramatically change everything you eat overnight, all in one fell swoop.

Eating 1200 healthily and nutritiously in a way that makes you feel full *is* possible. But it takes some learning about which foods work for you, some experimenting with different recipes, some learning how to cook and shop.

Give yourself a break and do it slowly. Start by aiming to eat 1500 for a few weeks. See if you can stay under that. See if you're losing weight at your desired pace. If so, great, stick to that number. If not, cut to 1400, or 1300. By then you'll have learned quite a bit about how to meal plan and which foods will work for you, and it will be much easier.

Don't try to change too many habits overnight. The key to success is a bit at a time.
  • LadyLoriAnn
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Sounds like your issue is that you're trying to dramatically change everything you eat overnight, all in one fell swoop.

Eating 1200 healthily and nutritiously in a way that makes you feel full *is* possible. But it takes some learning about which foods work for you, some experimenting with different recipes, some learning how to cook and shop.

Give yourself a break and do it slowly. Start by aiming to eat 1500 for a few weeks. See if you can stay under that. See if you're losing weight at your desired pace. If so, great, stick to that number. If not, cut to 1400, or 1300. By then you'll have learned quite a bit about how to meal plan and which foods will work for you, and it will be much easier.

Don't try to change too many habits overnight. The key to success is a bit at a time.

• LadyLoriAnn
    Options
    This makes sense ty I have been trying healthy but you are right lol I'm surprised by what I thought was healthy
  • ROBtheMFPmachine
    ROBtheMFPmachine Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you

I have the same issue. Right now for me, with a goal of losing 2 lbs per week, my daily allowance is 1200 calories. I easily can eat 2500 calories per day, and that's not even stuffing myself. I *have* to go to the gym in order to earn extra calories, at least 450. Yesterday I worked out for 2 hours at the gym, which gave me an extra 1100 calories. I find that if I don't exercise, it's really hard for me to stay below the daily amount, but with exercise, I can eat that extra amount, and I'm exhausted at night and I fall asleep (instead of eating more).
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    god my lunches and dinners are about 600 a piece LOL I tried the 1200 calorie thing ONCE... nope not ever again... I was too lethargic and felt horrid.. I like food and I like to eat it :)
  • Happyme2009
    Happyme2009 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Good luck to you

please explain the bolded part…

sugar = sugar
    Well, I believe the benefits that come from fruits ( fibre, vitamins, minerals ) outweighs the evil of sugar... There are no health benefits from eating cake , other than maybe a temporary emotional comfort, so it's probably best to avoid.... And I am no doctor, but from my personal experience, processed sugar ( as opposed to that coming from fresh fruit) doesn't make me crave more of it soon after eating it.... In other words, I can have a chocolate croissant and desire one more soon after... So 2 of them, let's say, 400 cals ( if we give 200 cal per croissant, which is actually less then in reality )... But if I eat 2 medium/large apples, for 200 cal average, I won't crave another 2 medium/large apples right after finishing the first round.
    See where I am going with this ?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I worked out for 2 hours at the gym, which gave me an extra 1100 calories.

I know this is a bit off topic, but it's highly unlikely that you burned 1100 calories in 2 hours at the gym. MFP's database -- and other methods like heart rate monitors or cardio machine calculators -- are notoriously inaccurate, and most people find they estimate calorie burns very high.

If you're eating back exercise calories, start with eating back only a portion of them. E.g. Half. Otherwise, I can almost guarantee, you'll be back here in a few weeks saying you've been doing everything right and wondering why you're not losing weight.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You look like you're doing pretty well. Baby steps. As other people have suggested, try to gradually shift your diet from majority processed foods to more whole foods. Not 100%, we have to be real here.

Exercise when you can, but do not rely on exercise as a strategy for eating more. You don't burn that many calories exercising, it's not possible to tell exactly how many calories you're burning and people overestimate, while underestimating the calories they are consuming. Exercise for strength, balance, and a general feeling of well-being.
  • LadyLoriAnn
    Options

The problem I am having is that I am eating all day the things I "Think" are healthy and I am not reaching 1200
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

The problem I am having is that I am eating all day the things I "Think" are healthy and I am not reaching 1200

so have a COOKIE lol seriously....eat - it won't harm you
  • saggyandbaggy
    saggyandbaggy Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have been having 1200 or less since July and am finding it hard but possible. I am currently 84 lbs down. I eat vast quantities of vegetables to fill up and I don't worry too much about the details such as sugar/protein. I can only worry about the calories for now, I can look at the different aspects of my diet when I hit my target. I don't exercise much as I have done too much damage to my knees. It can be done - maybe work your way down to 1200 over a week or two? Drink plenty of water too! Good Luck