Healthy chips/crackers options?

Options
I love eating avocados and chips but I know tortilla chips are not great for you and have a ton of sodium. Wheat thins are my go to snack food also and I know they aren't necessarily healthy. Any ideas for brands or alternatives that could make these snacks better?

Replies

• neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I like the Special K Cracker Chips. You can eat (depending on the flavor) 25-30 chips for about 100-130 calories. They're delicious, too. B)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    In moderation, chips are fine. You don't need to worry about the sodium in them unless a doctor recommended that you limit sodium. The avocados may have more calories than the chips, so again.. moderation.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I like Special K PopChips, Food Should Taste Good tomato-basil brown rice crackers, Nature's Harvest roasted vegetable chips, Stacey's whole-grain pita chips, lime Tostitos (corn is a whole grain, whatevs), and Terra "exotic" vegetable chips. There's a big wide world of healthy chips out there, even given that "healthy" is a nebulous qualifier at best.

Or, you know, just eat regular old Lay's and make sure to weigh your servings. Chips aren't going to kill you all by themselves. :)
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Try cucumber slices. Ak-Mak sesame crackers are yummy. Also, Mary's Gone Crackers has some flavors you may wanna try.

Remember, you can still have tortilla chips....just measure out a serving or two.
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I make my own tortilla chips with 100 calorie pita bread, slice it into 16 the peel the 2 layers apart to get 32 chips and then just bake them
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    In moderation, chips are fine. You don't need to worry about the sodium in them unless a doctor recommended that you limit sodium. The avocados may have more calories than the chips, so again.. moderation.

QFT
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Baked kale,or any kind of dark green leaf. just spritz with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. YUM!
  • MadisonCasey96
    MadisonCasey96 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help!!!
  • monicasmiles
    Options
    Slice apples up with a peeler (might take a while) and then bake them at 250F for 2 hours, turning half way! They taste great, and one apple makes a TON of chips. You can sprinkle them with cinnamon or sugar, if you want. And the longer they cool, the crispier they get :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I love eating avocados and chips but I know tortilla chips are not great for you and have a ton of sodium. Wheat thins are my go to snack food also and I know they aren't necessarily healthy. Any ideas for brands or alternatives that could make these snacks better?

Why do you think avocados and chips are not good for you? They both have nutrients, and avocados can fulfill fat requirements. Chips can help you reach your carbohydrate requirements too.

Wheat thins are not unhealthy either, they are just another snack. They're really good too.

I suggest if you like these foods that you learn to eat them in moderation. The food scale is a great tool for this.

I lost 44 pounds eating these (real) foods, and I've been maintaining for over a year. I realize that everyone is different, and not all things work for all people, but I urge you to weigh your chips and avocado, put the bag away, and eat your portion and see how it works for you. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Avocados and chips sound healthy to me. Do you mean lower calorie?