Treadmill w/ barbells and plate weights

Options
Is anyone doing this to switch up their workouts on the treadmill? Ill hold on to the plates and put the treadmill on an incline. I've also experimented with a barbell on my neck as well as holding the medicine ball. All of it is done on an inlince

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    When I'm on the treadmill it's just me and the treadmill. Seems a little unsafe to me and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a terrible idea, but honestly.

Keep doing it. Take video. Post it up for us when it goes horribly wrong.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a terribly dangerous idea. I'll occasionally hold some handweights while walking at a steep incline at home, but that's largely because I'm bored and need something to do with my hands. You may consider a weighted vest, or possibly ankle weights. A barbell on the shoulders? Bad idea. In addition to the physical dangers involved, you also run a high risk of damaging the equipment, which would suck if you own it, and be even worse if you don't.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Please video it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'd be more inclined to do Farmer's Walks or use a weighted vest, probably the safest options.
  • Gallen88
    Gallen88 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I'd be more inclined to do Farmer's Walks or use a weighted vest, probably the safest options.

Thanks!
  • Gallen88
    Gallen88 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    ephiemarie wrote: »
    Sounds like a terribly dangerous idea. I'll occasionally hold some handweights while walking at a steep incline at home, but that's largely because I'm bored and need something to do with my hands. You may consider a weighted vest, or possibly ankle weights. A barbell on the shoulders? Bad idea. In addition to the physical dangers involved, you also run a high risk of damaging the equipment, which would suck if you own it, and be even worse if you don't.

Thanks
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    :blink:
    :blink:

That you have not been injured doing this is a small miracle. As others suggested, ankle weights, weighted vest - small dumbbells in the hands. OR if you find yourself bored with the treadmill, look into something else you might enjoy more.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm dangerous enough on a dreadmill without any extras. Doesn't help that I spend most of my dreadmill time thinking of creative ways to end it all.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    IXUO5zJ.gif
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    God. I'd die. I have enough trouble on the treadmill as it is.
  • _riddikulus_
    _riddikulus_ Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Wow your balance and coordination must be off the charts. I have to hold on to both sides of the treadmill or else I face certain death. You do you OP! Best of luck on your journey!
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If it works for you and you aren't holding the plates/bars back from those who want to use them to lift, I guess do it?

Sounds like an injury waiting to happen though - and I doubt many gyms would let it happen on health and safety grounds.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    You should put combine the plates with the barbell and do some squats while on there. You can use the hand rails as safeties. Remember, go at least to parallel!
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You should put combine the plates with the barbell and do some squats while on there. You can use the hand rails as safeties. Remember, go at least to parallel!

I'm thinking bent over rows. work the upper body while working the legs.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    No
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    ajnb88 wrote: »

Periodically you could just get off and then deadlift the treadmill itself. It's a total body workout in one session!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    ajnb88 wrote: »

Periodically you could just get off and then deadlift the treadmill itself. It's a total body workout in one session!

Don't forget to over head press it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Clean and press the dreadmill. Epic.