Gaining muscle and losing weight? Is it possible?

Options
Hi! I'm trying to gain muscle in my legs and arms but also trying to lose weight everywhere else. Is that possible? I've been doing a lot of cardio and dieting but I've also been doing leg exercises with weights. I weigh in every Monday morning, and last week I was 143 but this week I'm 146.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I assume you mean you want to gain muscle definition, as opposed to getting visibly bigger muscles, correct?

• theresebjorkman_
    Options
    Heavy workout is the best way of losing fat and gain muscles. Cardio is great but for example strong lift 5×5 is even greater.
    And women don't get big by lifting weight. !! I've lost 16% fat and 25 kg with a combination of cardio and heavy lifting.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's theoretically possible to gain a little bit of muscle while losing fat if you're a beginner. But it's very difficult, especially for a woman, and it takes a long time. What you're looking at with your 3 lbs gain is water retention. I usually carry about 2-3 extra pounds for the first month of any weight training program.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting, I gained 1.5kg of muscle while losing 600g fat. However I'd been dieting for a long time, and I think the fat loss was just residual from that.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    OhJas wrote: »
    Hi! I'm trying to gain muscle in my legs and arms but also trying to lose weight everywhere else. Is that possible? I've been doing a lot of cardio and dieting but I've also been doing leg exercises with weights. I weigh in every Monday morning, and last week I was 143 but this week I'm 146.

You can't spot reduce, the body will distribute weight loss as it wills. I would recommend a structured full body strength building routine, not just focusing on one body part.

A 3 pound fluctuation can be multiple things IMO, normal fluctuations, water retention due to starting new weight routine, etc.

• batgirl1981
    batgirl1981 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Over the holiday period I managed 1.5kg weight gain with 1% body fat reduction by ensuring I kept cardio high on the list as well as working those weights. It can be done :-)
  • BigmanTG
    BigmanTG Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    To gain muscle you need a calorie surplus to lose fat you need a calorie deficit. It is possible to tone the muscle you currently have, get stronger, and change the shape of your body while losing weight.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    BigmanTG wrote: »
    To gain muscle you need a calorie surplus to lose fat you need a calorie deficit.

Yes, obviously. But the point is that you can cycle between the two so rapidly that it appears as if you doing both at the same time.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Do you want to gain muscle (actual change to the tissue), or do you want to increase definition (appearance of muscle, i.e. toning)?

If the first, yes it's possible, but it's exceptionally slow. Since doing 1 at a time is too slow for most, trying to do both at the same time (even slower) isn't generally recommended. But yes, it's most definitely possible.

If the second, yes it's possible. Eat a slight calorie deficit with good workout intensity to help lose weight/fat. In doing so, the existing muscle will become more apparent/visible.
  • BigmanTG
    BigmanTG Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »
    BigmanTG wrote: »
    To gain muscle you need a calorie surplus to lose fat you need a calorie deficit.

Yes, obviously. But the point is that you can cycle between the two so rapidly that it appears as if you doing both at the same time.
    Yes it does "appear" that way, and the transition may be rapid for some but not so fast for others. The above poster nailed it as I said the muscles may become more visible "toned while losing fat.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Technically no but I'd lift heavy on a deficit anyway. If you don't like the results at the end of your weight loss, just start a bulk and lift heavy. either way, lift heavy