Ketosis Dieting - High Fat and Low Carbs

Options
I have been on a ketosis type of diet based on low carbs and high fat for roughly a week. I would appreciate any help from those of you are playing the ketosis game based on your experience.

I have lost 4 pounds - I am guessing much of that is water so likely only say a pound of that is fat. I am well under 50 carbs a day but roughly 140 grams of fat per day. One thing that I found out only two days ago is that if you eat too much protein it can knock you out of ketosis so I have dialed down my protein

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hey Peter, Dialing down your protein AND carbs isnt very safe. You wont be able to do any sort of workout because the 2 muscle stimulating macros arent available, IF you do decide to continue keto I really would suggest you increase your protein for safetys sake. If you want to get better workouts in increase your carbs. I hope you will consider my advice
  • petr8888
    petr8888 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks but i understand that if protein is too high your body uses glocogenesis to convert it ito glucose which drives you out of ketosis. The ketotic process is very intentionally to have the body run on fat not carbs. As a result for any calorie deficit the body burns fat not carbs.
  • chaarlikar69
    chaarlikar69 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've just started with this too. I'm trying for under 50 carbs supposed to be under 115 protein grams which is what my personal trainer has me aiming for. I'm averaging 150 + protein...but I am losing so it seems to be working for me. I decided to focus on getting carb grams down to the range he wanted rather than stressing about the protein grams being too high. I'll be interested to follow this thread and see others input.
  • fcadelcampo
    Options
    Hola! Te recomiendo que si vas a hacer dieta cetogenica. La hagas baja en grasas y alta en proteínas. Podrás bajar bastante rápido y tus musculos no desaparecerán. Toma muchísima agua para eliminar los cuerpos cetonicos que son tóxicos en elevada concentración. Combinala con deporte cardio y de tonificación y haz una re introducción alimentaria lenta y progresiva para evitar el efecto rebote. NO soy profesional de la dietetica, esto es sólo mi opinión basada en mi experiencia. Saludos y suerte
  • fcadelcampo
    Options
    Creo que estas falto de información. Las proteínas no te sacan de cetosis, son las azúcares y carbohidratos los que sí. Te recomiendo que leas las bases de la dketa Adkin o dieta cetogenica o incluso las bases de dieta Dunkan. todas se basan en lo mismo variando la entrada en cetosis o no y el tiempo.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I recommend setting your minimum protein to 1g per kg of body weight. You might check out the Low Carber Daily Forum Group. We've got a conversation going on about protein right now.
  • petr8888
    petr8888 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Baconslave - That is about right. I am 190 which implies rougly 80 grams min and I am at 120 gms of protein. I found out that protein much above that level will lead to glucogenesis which will create glucose and then I am out of ketosis. Must keep ketogenisis going to keep burning the fat.
  • MkMoore3527
    Options
    On Monday I started a modified fat fast (a strict fat fast is supposed to be 90% fat, under 1000 calories per day) and haven't gone under 75% fat or over 1200 calories per day. So far, I have lost 5 pounds (about a pound a day, which is typical for this type of eating plan). It was a little tough in the beginning, but once I got over the initial three-day hump, I feel fantastic. There's nothing better than waking up each morning to see the scale continually move downward.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hey Peter, Dialing down your protein AND carbs isnt very safe. You wont be able to do any sort of workout because the 2 muscle stimulating macros arent available, IF you do decide to continue keto I really would suggest you increase your protein for safetys sake. If you want to get better workouts in increase your carbs. I hope you will consider my advice

Where does it say low protein.....? Keto dieting is low carbs/high fat/MODERATE protein.
  • mraudit2000
    mraudit2000 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I did this diet when it was the in thing. As long as I was under 20g of Carbs a day, I ate everything else, as much as I wanted. Over the period of 8 months, I lost around 70 lbs. I was at 320 when I started. Of course, like most other diets, I got off it and gained the weight back. If you want a quick loss, this is probably an ok diet. If you want long term, its probably not the best. Just my opinion.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    petr8888 wrote: »
    Baconslave - That is about right. I am 190 which implies rougly 80 grams min and I am at 120 gms of protein. I found out that protein much above that level will lead to glucogenesis which will create glucose and then I am out of ketosis. Must keep ketogenisis going to keep burning the fat.

That's one of those "truths" that gets passed around, but not something you need to worry about. It's rare that you'll ever hit the exact number for your protein every day, it's always going to be a higher or lower. If it worked the way the myth says it does, people on keto would get sick every other week.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    petr8888 wrote: »
    Must keep ketogenisis going to keep burning the fat.

That's not correct. If you're in a caloric deficit, your body is burning fat all the time.