Help Please!

Options
BooMonkeyButt
BooMonkeyButt Posts: 129 Member
edited January 2015 in Recipes
I'm on the hunt for easy and healthy recipes that don't require me to know how to cook like a professional because I can't cook.

Replies

• KiwiJo42
    KiwiJo42 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ive downloaded a free app called healthy eating, simple recipes. Im in the dame boat lol....or find a chief to date. Good luck.
  • fcadelcampo
    Options
    what kind of recipes want? if you say me any ingredient i can recomend you something
  • BooMonkeyButt
    Options
    Anything that can't be left raw and can cause someone to get sick.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Ive downloaded a free app called healthy eating, simple recipes. Im in the dame boat lol....or find a chief to date. Good luck.

I really hope you meant chef :smiley:
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    My new favorite sandwich: light wheat bread, hummus, sliced cucumber, shredded carrots, olive tapenade on the top piece of bread. Not low fat but very simple and very very tasty!
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Do a Search (see the link above all the posts on this page, next to the links for Home, Recent Discussions, My Discussions) for crock pot recipes. There are several threads with lots of good, simple ideas.

55835802.png
  • BooMonkeyButt
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    My new favorite sandwich: light wheat bread, hummus, sliced cucumber, shredded carrots, olive tapenade on the top piece of bread. Not low fat but very simple and very very tasty!

That sounds delicious! Except I don't know what hummus and olive tapenade are lol.
  • BooMonkeyButt
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    Do a Search (see the link above all the posts on this page, next to the links for Home, Recent Discussions, My Discussions) for crock pot recipes. There are several threads with lots of good, simple ideas.

55835802.png

Thanks! I'll definitely check it out.
  • dklibert
    Options
    This is easy and great if you or anyone else you know gets sick.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/02/cheese-tortellini-soup-with-gremolata.html
  • BooMonkeyButt
    Options
    This is easy and great if you or anyone else you know gets sick.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/02/cheese-tortellini-soup-with-gremolata.html

Thanks! I'll definitely check it out.
  • dklibert
    Options
    Taco Soup is a dump recipe. Brown lean ground turkey or beef and add everything else, cook until hot.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/04/tex-mex-soup.html

Tex+Mex+Soup+2.jpg
  • dklibert
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This inside out egg roll is very easy and fast. You can buy minced garlic and ginger in a jar if you don't know how to mince. Or buy a microplane grater and grate it instead.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/12/inside-out-egg-roll-re-post.html

Inside+Out+Egg+Roll+2.jpg
  • BooMonkeyButt
    Options
    Taco Soup is a dump recipe. Brown lean ground turkey or beef and add everything else, cook until hot.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/04/tex-mex-soup.html

Tex+Mex+Soup+2.jpg

Yum! I love tacos! Can I use ground chicken or turkey instead of the red meat?
  • dklibert
    Options
    Yes I use turkey all the time.
  • BooMonkeyButt
    Options
    This inside out egg roll is very easy and fast. You can buy minced garlic and ginger in a jar if you don't know how to mince. Or buy a microplane grater and grate it instead.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/12/inside-out-egg-roll-re-post.html

Inside+Out+Egg+Roll+2.jpg

This sounds amazing!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    You can whisk six eggs with whatever you want (cubed ham, crumbled bacon or store-bought bacon pieces, tomatoes, onions, spinach, cheese, spices, broccoli, asparagus tips, shredded chicken, quinoa or rice, mushrooms, sliced olives -- just a few ideas), pour the mix into muffin tins, and bake at 350 for 20-40 minutes (depends on size of muffin pan) until firm and a little brown on top. Bam. Miniature frittatas for breakfasts or snacks.

Stir-fries are also easy. Heat a pan over medium, throw in some cubed meat (beef, pork, chicken, whatever -- not seafood), cook it with occasional stirring/flipping about 7 minutes, dump in a bag of frozen veggies and about 1/4 cup water or broth, season it all however you want, and cook while stirring occasionally until the meat is done and the veggies are to your liking. If you want a seafood stir-fry you'll usually add the seafood in the last 5 minutes, not at the beginning. You can finish off with bottled sauce or whisk together soy sauce/dribble of sesame oil/tbsp of brown sugar with scallions for an easy sesame sauce.

Get a Crockpot, put things in it, walk away. For now disregard anyone who tells you that you must first brown your meat, or sear anything, or sautee onions, or whatever. Just put veggies on the bottom, a roast or stew meat on the top, add half a cup of liquid (broth, water, wine, or a mixture), season well, turn the machine on to medium, and leave the room. Check on things at first so you learn when they get done (eight hours for a roast versus five for chicken, or whatever). Should you want soup, do this same thing using stew meat, then in the last hour put in two cups of noodles if you like them and enough broth to cover everything by about an inch; turn the heat to high and walk away again.

Don't be afraid to use packaged goods to help you out. I'm a damn good cook with years of experience, and I still use all kinds of packaged stuff -- bottled sauces, pre-seasoned rice in a box, store-bought broths and stocks, and way more.
  • BooMonkeyButt
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    You can whisk six eggs with whatever you want (cubed ham, crumbled bacon or store-bought bacon pieces, tomatoes, onions, spinach, cheese, spices, broccoli, asparagus tips, shredded chicken, quinoa or rice, mushrooms, sliced olives -- just a few ideas), pour the mix into muffin tins, and bake at 350 for 20-40 minutes (depends on size of muffin pan) until firm and a little brown on top. Bam. Miniature frittatas for breakfasts or snacks.

Stir-fries are also easy. Heat a pan over medium, throw in some cubed meat (beef, pork, chicken, whatever -- not seafood), cook it with occasional stirring/flipping about 7 minutes, dump in a bag of frozen veggies and about 1/4 cup water or broth, season it all however you want, and cook while stirring occasionally until the meat is done and the veggies are to your liking. If you want a seafood stir-fry you'll usually add the seafood in the last 5 minutes, not at the beginning. You can finish off with bottled sauce or whisk together soy sauce/dribble of sesame oil/tbsp of brown sugar with scallions for an easy sesame sauce.

Get a Crockpot, put things in it, walk away. For now disregard anyone who tells you that you must first brown your meat, or sear anything, or sautee onions, or whatever. Just put veggies on the bottom, a roast or stew meat on the top, add half a cup of liquid (broth, water, wine, or a mixture), season well, turn the machine on to medium, and leave the room. Check on things at first so you learn when they get done (eight hours for a roast versus five for chicken, or whatever). Should you want soup, do this same thing using stew meat, then in the last hour put in two cups of noodles if you like them and enough broth to cover everything by about an inch; turn the heat to high and walk away again.

Don't be afraid to use packaged goods to help you out. I'm a damn good cook with years of experience, and I still use all kinds of packaged stuff -- bottled sauces, pre-seasoned rice in a box, store-bought broths and stocks, and way more.

They all sound delicious! Thank you.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Some general cooking tips I find helpful:

Lemon juice or flavored vinegar always, always help out a broth or stew. Even in mixtures that don't have an acidic profile. A teaspoon or less can just brighten up a whole dish.

Hickory flavoring is useful in a surprising number of dishes. I keep liquid smoke AND hickory salt on hand; I use the liquid smoke in dishes that already have a very strong flavor and the hickory salt in dishes that have a more delicate taste. For both of these, a tiny amount goes a very long way. Hickory gives you this deep, savory flavor that's hard to replicate otherwise. If you don't like hickory, fish sauce does the same thing and the same rules apply (tiny amount, adjust for the flavors already present).

You want kosher salt for seasoning meat and making sauces, regular table salt for finishing a dish or seasoning a plate, and -- stay with me -- fine popcorn salt for thin soups and vinaigrettes. I know it seems like salt is salt, but the type actually makes a difference.

When a recipe calls for an oiled pan (like "saute in 2Tbsp olive oil") you can usually get away with cooking spray and a lid. Cook whatever it is (meat to sear, veggies to crisp or saute, stir-fries) on medium-high heat with cooking spray for a couple minutes first, then reduce the heat and put a lid on. Same result, never dry, far fewer calories.

You should keep tarragon vinegar on hand. Heinz makes it, and it's easy to find, but if you can't score a bottle then just grab a basic yellow vinegar and let it sit with plenty of dried tarragon for a full 24 hours. Strain, and use it liberally.

Steamed veggies are ready when their color has intensified but not darkened. Bright green broccoli will turn almost neon green, carrots will look radioactive. If you like them mushier, continue to steam them four minutes past this point.

Quinoa is kind of boring on its own, which some people think is blasphemy but I consider gospel truth. Buy pre-flavored packets or add tons of your own seasoning, then add it to other recipes instead of serving it as a side or base. (It's delicious in mini frittatas and makes a delightful addition to non-leafy salads.)

Juices from pickled or brined veggies are wonderful, flavorful additions to salads, sauces, and stir-fries. I use pickled beet juice + lemon juice as a salad dressing, pour olive juice into my savory dishes, toss roasted veggies with artichoke heart marinade, and sometimes just drink straight pickle juice. Experiment with these -- if you like the flavor of the food, you'll probaly love the flavor of the juice it comes with.

If you're roasting veggies you want moderate heat, around 400 degrees for crispness. If you're roasting meat you want high heat and a shortened cook time, so try 425 or 450 degrees even if the recipe says otherwise (just reduce the cook time if the recipe calls for lower temps). If you're baking (not flour goods like cake but stuff like frittatas) you want a low-to-moderate temp like 350. These standards will guide you as you learn. In that vein, don't be afraid of very high temperatures -- many things (a roast chicken, popovers, casseroles) benefit from a short but intense period of heat. Play with 450 or even 500 degree cooking; it will be well worth your while.

On the stovetop, don't fear a LOW heat. Unless you have cast-iron or copper pans (as a non-cook, I assume you don't), low heat is going to treat your food well almost all the time. Practice patience. It'll be delicious.

You cannot go wrong with a tomato + cucumber + vinegar mix. Play with it. Add some cooked grains, put it on a bed of greens, blend it into a soup, add beans and chicken, whatever. It's an excellent base mixture.
  • dklibert
    Options

That sounds delicious! Except I don't know what hummus and olive tapenade are lol.

Hummus is a spread made from chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice and tahini. You can buy it pre-made in the refrigerated section or deli. Tapenade is a spread made from olives, garlic, herbs and olive oil. You can also buy it pre-made in jars near the olives.
  • nineateseven
    nineateseven Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Two words: Frozen veggies!!!! I can cook semi-gourmet meals when I want to, but most of our weeknight meals are frozen veggies and some kind of protein. I also keep easy-to-cook forms of protein on hand like frozen grilled chicken strips, sliced beef, and chicken sausages. Costco has been a life saver for finding frozen, healthy foods at decent prices :)

Potatoes and sweet potatoes are easy, too. I know potatoes often get a bad rap, but it's really about how they're prepared. A carrot would be unhealthy if it was fried. Red, golden, and blue potatoes are full of vitamins and minerals, and they're a great way to get good carbohydrates if they're cooked in a healthy way. Easiest way to cook them: Wash the outside and boil in water for an hour. Done. I never peel my potatoes. Once they're cooked through, I cut them up on my plate and put sea salt on top. That's it. They're really yummy.

You can also do oven fries with both potatoes and sweet potatoes. My family is addicted to oven fries. Preheat the oven to 425*F. Wash the outside of the potatoes, but don't bother to peel them. Cut into wedges (whatever size you want for your fries). Put into a bowl and drizzle a little olive oil on. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with oil. Put the potatoes on the pan and sprinkle with salt. Cook for 30-45 minutes, flipping every 10-15 minutes.