I already walk for 8 hours straight at my job. It's hard to motivate myself to exercise.

Options
I need help with this. I am on my feet 8 straight hours and usually log 14,000 steps a day at the minimum! SO..when it comes to exercise, I am a downer...Any useful ideas to get me going? YOU ALL ARE GREAT!!!!

Replies

• Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I used to be in a very active job, hiking around all day, and the exercises that I had the most success with were dancing, weight training, and pushups/situps etc. It gave me something that felt different from what I had been doing, and dancing especially was a great way to end a tiring day. Good luck :)
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    How about yoga? Completely different. And doing lifting, or take a Zumba or Spin class. If you exercise at home, just pilates can shape and define your body.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest doing more strength stuff. It's a completely different switch from walking around all day, so it might be easier to convince yourself to do. It'll also make your muscles shape up nicely. However, if you're exercising because you're looking for some more calories in your day, strength isn't ideal. But it'll make your muscles stronger, look better, and is good for overall health.
  • darkestdayz
    darkestdayz Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly walking, lifting and bending at work also, sometimes for 10 to 12 hours at a time. Guess I'm a little masochistic because I started running last October. The difference in my energy level and the ease of performing my job now have made it worth it.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I get it. I'm up on my feet all day long, I used to wear a fitbit and my regular day is 30,000+ steps. I simply found something I love, in my case powerlifting and it's not a case of motivating myself, I can't wait to train almost everytime. It's rare that I have to suck it up to get it done
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. On my feet ALL day walking around, and I walk to and from work everyday. (45-50 minutes each way walking at a very brisk pace). But....I find I have the most energy for work and life in general when I work out on top of that a few times a week. Because working out is for me and my health and sanity lol. I do a mix of weights, cardio and dance (which is also cardio but FUN!!) Try different things, find something you love and it doesn't seem like work. Good luck!!
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Just do it. That's the best way to put it..you will hate it and not want to do it but you will be glad you did start when you start to notice results. I'm not sure why people think motivation is a key factor in getting to the gym, it sure isn't a motivating factor when it comes to going to work. Going to the gym and working out is just something you do even if your mind is telling you different.
  • amandahm
    Options
    me too! I feel like really I only need to work out on my days off ;) but our bodies have become so accustom to that 14,000 - 18,000 steps at work that it doesn't do much for us really... and I hear you... my only motivation is that I can have more calories if I work out too! lol... but I want my shape to be different, not so squishy :/ I like the classes to get me out of the house and meet people. Try teaming up with a friend, it helps me get off my rump when I see she's burned way more calories than me... and we go together too when we can.
    - Stay motivated sister!
  • eevauus
    Options
    I feel you! I work at McD, so I'm basically running around for 8-10 hours everyday. And then if I go home I just want to drop dead on my bed... So my friend who's been into crossfit and all this strength training for years now took me to gym last Tuesday, made me squat my *kitten* off, and that's how I've been at gym everyday since then. My gym membership includes two personal trainer meetings, so I've been using him not really to plan me a program or anything, but mostly showing me basic stuff to do at gym that is not really standing. I went to flex class, Pilates class, and tomorrow I'll try a core workout. Groups rule, cause when you book the class, you pretty much have to go! And I try to go straight from work, or just before, so I don't get the chance to sit down and start feel tired. And after just few days I feel so much better. More energetic, happier, more satisfied! Just last week I felt so depressed, I just wanted to crawl under my blanket and sleep for the rest of my life.