Feeling sick, lack of calories or carbs???

I've just started up trying to lose weight again this week. My goals are 1390/day, 1.5lbs/week (weight 180/height 5'4"). I've been eating all but a few of my calories everyday and have been trying to balance my fat/protien/carbs, but I'm used to eating much more calories and carbs and I'm wondering if reducing one of these is what is making me feel so aweful(headache, nausea, brain fog, weak...). Should I change something or should I power theough it and hope its just my body adjusting? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Replies

• zmontgomery278
    zmontgomery278 Posts: 1 Member
    This is the exact same as me! Any advice???
  • You should try supplementing your protein in another way. Protein shakes are a good alternative source. Some people forget that you still need sugar and sodium to function (though it should be natural sugar). Eat more fruits and nuts and you should be feeling better in no time. Also, don't just cold turkey the bad stuff. If you slowly work it out of your diet in moderation you wont shock your system from what is so used to having. Take it slow!
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    How is your water consumption? Before I lost these 95 pounds, I was literally drinking less than a glass per day- dehydration wreaks havoc on the body.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    It's hard to say what's going on, open your diary. Did you cut out caffeine? That could do it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Can you open your diary please?
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Have you given up coffee cold turkey? That could cause some problems. Otherwise, I don't know why eating fewer carbs would cause problems, unless you are going way under the recommended level for carbs? My experience has been the opposite--giving up excess carbs and sugar seems to be making all my aches and pains disappear and making me more alert. I feel so much better than I did, but I'm trying to keep close to the recommended amounts of everything.
  • lisaw19855
    lisaw19855 Posts: 165 Member
    Could your body be struggling to adjust? My first week I didn't go to the loo for 5 days then I nearly passed out after a day of hard exercise through not eating carbs that day xx
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    sprepej wrote: »
    Have you given up coffee cold turkey? That could cause some problems. Otherwise, I don't know why eating fewer carbs would cause problems, unless you are going way under the recommended level for carbs? My experience has been the opposite--giving up excess carbs and sugar seems to be making all my aches and pains disappear and making me more alert. I feel so much better than I did, but I'm trying to keep close to the recommended amounts of everything.

I have to have my carbs over 200 or I feel terrible. I did an elimination diet awhile back and dropped my carbs inadvertently-- my fatigue and aches/pains got a lot worse, plus I was very cranky.
  • jackiechavez775
    jackiechavez775 Posts: 4 Member
    I opened my diary...
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Shortly after I started MFP I used to get headaches and brain fog too. For me, upping water intake and adjusting to getting close to the correct amount of carbs, protein helped a lot. Of course, those amounts are different for everyone. That and adjusting to the change in eating is probably causing your symptoms. Hope you feel better soon.
  • jackiechavez775
    Also, I have not given up coffee. I'm used to only drinking a cup in the morning...
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    A calorie deficit can make you feel a bit drained, to the point where you may be less active and fidgety. It's also possible you're sick, it is after all, winter.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Okay, well, the good news is that your diary looks pretty good. Your calorie goal is a little low but since you're not weighing your food it's likely you're eating a little more than you think you are so it's probably fine.

Your carbs might be low enough that they could be making you feel a little bit of low carb flu. They're not really low or anything, but like I said above, I get it if I go under 200g. But you really can't eat more carbs unless you raise your calorie goal, because you don't want to sacrifice protein or fat.

The good news again is that it should only last a week or two. I'd give it a little time and see how you get on.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    A calorie deficit can make you feel a bit drained, to the point where you may be less active and fidgety. It's also possible you're sick, it is after all, winter.

Also true.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    I find when I'm feeling lightheaded it's usually because I have eaten too little protein in relation to carbs. and not drunk enough water. This usually happens on days when I don't eat my meals at the "normal" times I eat on work days. Natural crunchy peanut butter on a teaspoon is my favorite tool to ward off the woozy feelings.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Okay, well, the good news is that your diary looks pretty good. Your calorie goal is a little low but since you're not weighing your food it's likely you're eating a little more than you think you are so it's probably fine.

Your carbs might be low enough that they could be making you feel a little bit of low carb flu. They're not really low or anything, but like I said above, I get it if I go under 200g. But you really can't eat more carbs unless you raise your calorie goal, because you don't want to sacrifice protein or fat.

The good news again is that it should only last a week or two. I'd give it a little time and see how you get on.

I agree with the above post, sounds like low carb flu. Keep going and you will probably be over it shortly. Just google low carb flu and there is plenty of information on it to help you get through it. The main thing to do is drink plenty of water.
  • jackiechavez775
    Thanks guys! I suspected it was a carb issue. I'm going to try to drink more water and power through it!
  • Mslibb
    Mslibb Posts: 69 Member
    Hi there.
    You say you've chosen to lose 1.5lbs per week when you set your goals, so MFP will have cut 750 cals from your daily intake to achieve that loss. It could be that suddenly eating 750 cals less per day is too drastic a cut for you. Perhaps try setting you goal to 1lb per week, which equates to 500 cals less per day. Or even 1/2lb per week/250 cals less per day.
    Cheers
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    You could substitute beans for some of the meat, and that would give you both protein and carbs. But yeah, your food diary looks fine to me. There is still a chance you just have a winter bug.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I had that feeling constantly when I lowered my carbs so much. I was hardly eating any bread/rice/tortillas, etc and I was working out almost daily. As soon as I added back some carbs, I felt normal again.