Homemade bread vs Store bought

Due to an operation for mouth cancer, my husband has had his lower teeth and almost half the tongue removed. Obviously he can't bite and requires a "soft" texture with little crust. I bought a bread machine and have become a demon baker :-). I use a mix of whole wheat and white, and cut back on sugar, preferring spices. Is there a site to go to or does anyone know offhand if homemade is lower in calories? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Bread varies a lot in calories--if you look at store-bought, it's all over the place. You should use the recipe builder (in fact, for anything homemade where you aren't just logging the ingredients anyway). Once you've created your recipe, it will be much easier and more accurate.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    The difference should not be major. But there could be some differences based on how much sugar is used, how many eggs are used, etc.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    I find the simplest lightest bread is just:

4 cups - White bread flour
    1.25 cups - Water
    1.5 teaspoons - Yeast
    1 teaspoon - salt
    1 Tablespoon - honey (sugar)
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Don't know if homemade is lower in calories, but it's certainly better for you in other ways. No preservatives, no hidden sugars and you know exactly what goes in there, especially if you're aiming for the softer varieties. Plus, nothing beats the smell of freshly baked bread.
    I bake my own (don't have a bread maker so I have to do it the hard way) about once a month, love rye bread with an oat and ale batter for a nice crust.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    I am so sorry to hear about your hubby! I hope he is stable and cancer-free! Being the significant other of a cancer survivor must be so stressful. Be sure to take care of yourself as well... :awesome: :relieved:
  • FredDoyle
    Don't know if homemade is lower in calories, but it's certainly better for you in other ways. No preservatives, no hidden sugars and you know exactly what goes in there, especially if you're aiming for the softer varieties. Plus, nothing beats the smell of freshly baked bread.
    I bake my own (don't have a bread maker so I have to do it the hard way) about once a month, love rye bread with an oat and ale batter for a nice crust.
    Light rye is my favorite but I can't seem to get it chewy enough like from the bakery down the street. Any tips?
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    edited January 2015
    I think that store bread might have lower calories because of all the fillers they can add. Homemade bread tastes better and doesn't have all that extra gunk. You can add whatever you like, higher fiber, seeds, raisins and cinnamon. It's so versatile!! And pretty cheap to make as well.

KingArthurFlour.com might be of some help. Lots of hints, recipes and baking ingredients. I also found this: http://www.restlesschipotle.com/2014/04/jewish-rye-bread-secret-getting-right/ LOL…think I might make it for dinner tomorrow night ;-)

I hope everything with hubby is OK!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    banditsmum wrote: »
    Due to an operation for mouth cancer, my husband has had his lower teeth and almost half the tongue removed. Obviously he can't bite and requires a "soft" texture with little crust. I bought a bread machine and have become a demon baker :-). I use a mix of whole wheat and white, and cut back on sugar, preferring spices. Is there a site to go to or does anyone know offhand if homemade is lower in calories? Thanks in advance.

Generally, homemade will be higher in calories. Also lower in quality unless you use bread flour, etc.

Either way, don't worry about it, he lost a lot, let him enjoy what he can. :)
  • dbmata
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Light rye is my favorite but I can't seem to get it chewy enough like from the bakery down the street. Any tips?

Use higher protein flour. you could also try adding a little wheat gluten as well. Basically though, you want higher protein flour.
  • FredDoyle
    dbmata wrote: »
    FredDoyle wrote: »

Use higher protein flour. you could also try adding a little wheat gluten as well. Basically though, you want higher protein flour.
    Thanks. I may add a T of essential gluten then.
  • dbmata
    Start with higher protein flour.

See if you can find King Arthur flour's Sir Lancelot line. Then try adding gluten, probably won't need to.
  • FredDoyle
    dbmata wrote: »
    Start with higher protein flour.

See if you can find King Arthur flour's Sir Lancelot line. Then try adding gluten, probably won't need to.
    It's not available in Canuckville and $18 shipping for a bag of flour is probably not something I'm going to do, but thanks for the heads up about high protein flour.
  • Thanks for the replies :)
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    I use the recipe builder when I try a new bread recipe and then review it seasonally (since the weather has a huge effect on density, moisture etc). I weigh the final loaf after it's cooled a bit and then calculate the number of 100g servings in the loaf. I tinker with the recipes quite a bit, but highly recommend The Breadlover's Bread Machine cookbook by Beth Hensperger.

To add protein you can use a cottage cheese-based recipe, add gluten and also add milk powder, but there's trial and error with all of these factors.

I buy in bulk from King Arthur flour online and keep my eyes open for shipping cost offers from them.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    I started replacing 1/4 of flour with flax meal and adding protein powder to my homemade bread. It raises the calories a bit per slice but the fiber and protein go up a lot. Reducing the calories kills the flavor and texture so i opted to make it just a little better in other ways.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited January 2015
    Home made will taste better but likely be also higher in calories. My favourite white (soft) bread for a breadmaker is a challah. It uses an egg.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bread-machine-challah-ii/

I bought some xanthan gum and used that in my heavier breads to make them softer. A tablespoon of xanthan gum would also make a soft, springy white loaf.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Home made will taste better but likely be also higher in calories. My favourite white (soft) bread for a breadmaker is a challah. It uses an egg.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bread-machine-challah-ii/

I bought some xanthan gum and used that in my heavier breads to make them softer. A tablespoon of xanthan gum would also make a soft, springy white loaf.

Thanks for that!!! I love new recipes. That will have to wait until we get through the 4 free loaves of bread i got at the grocery last week. Sometimes price wins over quality in my house.