Motivation

Options
I have started MFP again after a 6 month break. I have 90 lbs to lose it seems such a daunting task, can anyone out there who has managed a similar loss give me some ideas on how to keep myself on track and motivated. I would love to know hows other do it, I get despondent when I see only 1lb loss any help would be appreciated

Replies

• dln1975
    dln1975 Posts: 62 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I live by the motto "one day at a time." You didn't gain the weight overnight, you aren't going to lose it overnight! I'm down about 27 pounds now, but I have a lot to lose (100 pounds give or take a pound or two). I take it in five-pound increments. Every ten pounds I do something nice for myself, pedicure, new book, etc. Even though you may have a week where you "only" lose 1 pound or even maintain or even gain (I've had 'em, you'll have 'em, we all have 'em), you just gotta remember it's all part of the process. I'm trying to enjoy the journey as before I would tell myself that my life wouldn't start 'til I hit my goal weight. Well, guess what, life is going to happen no matter what!! Enjoy the little victories, not feeling so out of breath when you go to the mailbox, feeling a little slack in the jeans... there are so many "little" things to feel good about as you're losing weight!! Best of luck to you!!
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I cant go by what the scale says. It has taken me a LONG time to realize that how I feel and how my cloths fit is better for me.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't spend much time thinking about the end goal. I realize I could reach it as early as May, but instead I focus on the middle digit on the scale. Right now, it is a 4. Next week, I'm hopeful that it will be a 3. Then it could be a few weeks before it is a 2, so I'll focus on the last digit getting below 5 for a while.
  • decoratinganne
    Options
    I agree, it is only "one day at a time". I tell myself that my end game is the rest of my life. Every day that I make the right choices, exercise, eat responsibly is a win for me. My motivation to keep going is my desire to maintain a healthy lifestyle for today and tomorrow.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Staying on track is just doing whatever you've decided to do and not giving up on the whole thing if you decide to have a brownie or something that isn't part of your plan.

Motivation is something you have or you don't have. You can't buy it, nobody can give it to you and even you can't give it to yourself. You want to do something or you don't want to do it. I have no idea how to make myself or anyone else want something they really don't want.