Anyone else have problems with 1st session of C25k

Options
I thought it was a great way to start running again. Years ago (ok, a decade!) I used to run all the time and loved it. SInce then I started smoking.

My lungs are screwed, so I couldnt do the first session. I also have asthma, so that makes things worse.

I got to a 20 min brisk walk with 5 bursts of somewhere between 40 and 60 seconds each time.

I am NOT giving up! Just doing what I can until the point where I am able to do week 1 :smile:

PS I feel so much better for the running, even though i have only done 3 times in the format above! :smile:

Replies

• jemmur
    jemmur Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    it took me several weeks to get passed week one, when i started running in minimalist footwear. i was a wee bit disappointed that i wasn't able to do more but i'm proud of myself for persevering and improving :)

sounds like you've got a great attitude though, good luck!
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I thought it was a great way to start running again. Years ago (ok, a decade!) I used to run all the time and loved it. SInce then I started smoking.

My lungs are screwed, so I couldnt do the first session. I also have asthma, so that makes things worse.

I got to a 20 min brisk walk with 5 bursts of somewhere between 40 and 60 seconds each time.

I am NOT giving up! Just doing what I can until the point where I am able to do week 1 :smile:

PS I feel so much better for the running, even though i have only done 3 times in the format above! :smile:

I am in the same boat, trying to quit smoking and exercise. Any cardio kills me, but I can see that my endurance is increasing. I have not started C25K yet but want to soon now that the weather is getting nicer.
  • nachoqtpie
    nachoqtpie Posts: 81
    Options
    Keep going!! I PROMISE you it will get better!! After week 1 I thought I was going to DIE but, I just finished week 5 (the big 20 minutes! LOL) and I did feel like I was out of breath, and at the very end I was so beat! But I did it! I finished 20 minutes! :-)

I live in a military town, and so there are Marines all over the place. I've been posting my results on my FB page, and one of the guys that I know actually posted that I wasn't jogging I was walking with my times. I (may or may not have said it so) nicely reminded him that I was overweight and out of shape. I don't have a job where they actually build my exercise in. I think he got the point.... LOL
  • countdowntotarget
    countdowntotarget Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi, First congratulations on starting it !! I started off on the couch to 5k and am by no means an expert, the 'bursts' you talk about are not BURSTS as such - just step it up a bit its week 1 they dont expect you to be sprinting - they want you to move a bit quicker than the walking part and sometimes it only means a quick shuffle but it is in order to get your heart rate up higher and for you to be able to do the time aspect, the quickness will come once your body gets over the shock of what it is being asked - it will happen - trust in yourself you are doing great just getting out there x x x ps remember GOOD FOOTWEAR
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options
    I tried C25k and wasn't a huge fan. Granted I only did 1 day and then the weather got screwy but I've since discovered that I do better just going around my neighborhood with my own interval timing. I felt like I accomplished more and wasn't such a wussy. I use the mailboxes and cars as distances between run/walk. But, I was recently told about Jeff Galloway and his blog and interval training. I really like what he has to say (walking isn't failing, it is using different muscles etc) so I'm going to try his interval training. It will get easier just find what works best FOR YOU and keep doing it.
  • oscelyn
    oscelyn Posts: 54
    Options
    Don't give up. Whatever you do, just keep trying. I too thought I would die during w1d1 of c25k. I had been doing the program for about 8 weeks and did my first 5k this past Sunday. My time was phenomenal by anyones standards but my own. I was so proud of myself for finishing the race running. I'm also overweight, I don't smoke but it was still very hard for me when I started. At times, it's still very hard, but just keep trying, even if you have to repeat a week. I repeated week 7 I believe. I'm now side-lined for 2 weeks while I recover from a medical procedure this week and hope I don't lose my endurance while I'm recovering. Great job on making the effort to move more and improve you health.
  • Mellissande
    Mellissande Posts: 33
    Options
    Keep going!! I PROMISE you it will get better!! After week 1 I thought I was going to DIE but, I just finished week 5 (the big 20 minutes! LOL) and I did feel like I was out of breath, and at the very end I was so beat! But I did it! I finished 20 minutes! :-)

I live in a military town, and so there are Marines all over the place. I've been posting my results on my FB page, and one of the guys that I know actually posted that I wasn't jogging I was walking with my times. I (may or may not have said it so) nicely reminded him that I was overweight and out of shape. I don't have a job where they actually build my exercise in. I think he got the point.... LOL

Had the same problem with my Army hubby. I was SO excited about doing a 16 minute mile. (Which for weighing 380lbs at the time is huge) And he was like yeah so what We have to do a 2 mile in less time than that. It just completely squashed my spirits and I wanted to kick him in the shins. I have bad knees from being obese most of my life and The absolute fastest I have ever done a mile was 12 minutes when I was in high school and weighed 300 lbs. that almost killed me lol My doc told me after that that running on my knees at my size is never a good idea.
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on doing it! Second, just stick with it - it's very hard at first for some of us (or should I say me! and I was running about 3 years ago) - A few tips I can give you that people gave me that helped a ton - don't worry about your speed. I was trying to go all out too quickly, doing my runs at 5.5...slow it down - just make sure that you are going faster than the walk part - even 4.0 is a jog to some and likely faster than your walk part. Repeat a week as many times as necessary. If you don't feel you are ready for the next level, don't rush yourself. Repeat week 1 again until you feel comfortable there. And, finally, just stick with it! You'll get there! Mix in other cardio too to help build up that lung function and you'll be running in no time! Good luck! :)
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    First off way to go on the quitting smoking! I did that about 12 years ago and your lungs will heal but it will take some time.
    Second: Congrats on starting the C25k, it's the first step!

I am doing the C25K treadmill version. When I started my walking speed was only 2.5 and 'running' was 3.3. I slowly increased the speed each run. I am now in week 2 and walking at 3.0 and 'running' at a 4.2 to start and ending at 4.5.

Start slow, and build up, it will help boost your confidence and could help you avoid injury.

Keep it up!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't give up!

When I started C25K, the first few days were tough. And I won't lie... it didn't get any easier.
    I made sure to get fitted for proper shoes, pushed through and made sure I stretched and warmed up and down properly.
    When I started I was doing walks at 4 mph and jogs at 6 (this is after maybe 2 months of walking on my lunch breaks about 3 1/2 miles a day.)

I'm just finishing up week 9 now, and just this week I finally hit my stride. I feel like I can jog without having labored breaths, even while I have an elevated heart rate. Its amazing. I promise if you finish this program or any running/jogging interval program it will be the best feeling you'll ever have!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    When I finished week 2 I thought I was finally ready to start week 1, so keep it up...endurance will build up, both lungs and legs.
  • Yary
    Yary Posts: 28
    Options
    I also have asthma and had it interfere with running and playing softball throughtout my life. One thing that I was able to control my asthma while I ran was to take advair daily and take a puff of albuterol 30 mins before running. I don't know if you use medicine but the combination has done miracles for me. Good luck with the rest of the program.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I started C25k right when I quit smoking as well, and it suuuuuuuucked at first! But, the harder it is, the more you need it, right? So keep trying..your lungs will rise the occasion before you know it :)
  • jgrahamuk
    jgrahamuk Posts: 1
    Options
    As someone else mentioned, you don't need to be running this quickly. I started the c25k back in January. Then, my pace was barely a shuffle, and I was constantly out of breath. Now, I'm now happily running around 10k distances, at a considerably less embarrassing pace.

At first, your body has no idea how to cope with it. Your form is going to be terrible, your breathing will be ragged and inefficient. You're just not equipped to do an all out run for any amount of time. During the "run" intervals, you need to make sure you're coming off the ground, but your speed probably won't be much more than a brisk walking speed (mine certainly wasn't). Even when you're starting to worry that little old men are passing you... that's perfectly fine. Just keep with it, no matter how slow. Your body WILL adjust and you'll be running 5k before you know it.
  • mandyshell
    mandyshell Posts: 55
    Options
    I had that problem too. Then when I got to I think it was week 3, the first 3 minute run, I though it was a joke. I thought I was going to DIE!! But you just keep pushing at it and I graduated the program and keep on truckin'. You can do it!!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! I quit smoking 4 years ago and there's no way in heck I could have done the C25K at that point in my life. I started it a few months ago and it's amazing how much easier it is for me to jog now. I remember the first time I jogged for 20 minutes straight. I was so proud of myself! You will be too, I promise!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I hated day one. It almost killed me. I'm on w2d3 today.. Its getting easier. I am in the morbidly obese category. don't push your self to a heart attack but try and get your heart pumping. Do your best :)