Fruit Sugars - Help!

Options
I have been trying to cut out processed foods and eat more natural things, and increasing the amount of fruits and other items has been a good way for me to do that.

The problem comes from the high amount of sugars in fruit and dairy products. I usually eat a Chobani 100 Greek yogurt with some kind of fruit on the bottom and an apple for breakfast, grapes or pineapple with a sandwich for lunch, and as the day goes on I can find myself really going over my sugar limit.

Is this necessarily bad, since it is coming in the form of fructose and lactose and not a processed refined sugar or HFCS? Or should I try to eat more vegetables and cut out the fruit and dairy? Thank you for the advice!

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay within your calories you'll be good. I'm often over my sugar goal by lunch time because of fruit and dairy.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Unless you have medical issues involving moderating carbs/sugar (like diabetes), I wouldn't worry about your fruit consumption (or sugar in general).
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I go over my sugar by a lot normally - two pieces of fruit normally does it. You could always choose lower sugar fruits. Pineapples are quite high in sugar content.
  • nikitad123
    nikitad123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yoghurts with fruit layers have a huge amount of sugar in them. I usually just buy the plain Greek yoghurt (Fage Total 2 or 0% is my fav) and then add fruit myself, blueberries or any berries really. Mashed up banana for sweetness if thats what you're after. Try add in some chia seeds for added protein, plus that stuff seriously fills you up.
    Grapes and pineapple although delicious have a huge amount of sugar in them, try switching to berries, apples, pears.
    I personally found I was eating too much sugar from fruits so I try to limit myself to 1 apple a day, plus a banana if I really want something sweet, but most days I try to not eat fruit.
    If sugar content is something that matters a lot to you, switching to veg isn't a bad idea.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Add some vegetables if you aren't already eating them. We are supposed to eat more veggies than fruits!

You have to ask your doctor to know what is best for you! When the experts talk about cutting back on sugar, they're talking about added sugars, not sugars from fruits or veggies.

I eat tons and tons of fruit. Mi exceed the sugar "limit" on an almost daily basis. If it's slowed my weight loss, I wouldn't know. I have lost A LOT of weight eating lots of fruit, so there is no way it prevented me from losing. :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Add some vegetables if you aren't already eating them. We are supposed to eat more veggies than fruits!

You have to ask your doctor to know what is best for you! When the experts talk about cutting back on sugar, they're talking about added sugars, not sugars from fruits or veggies.

I eat tons and tons of fruit. Mi exceed the sugar "limit" on an almost daily basis. If it's slowed my weight loss, I wouldn't know. I have lost A LOT of weight eating lots of fruit, so there is no way it prevented me from losing. :)

Dare I ask where you came up with that ridiculous statement?

Back to posting everyone should ask their doctor, are we?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

No, when they say moderate sugar, experts mean ALL sugar, because they know that sugar is sugar, regardless of the source, and is digested and used in the exact same way in the body.

OP, sugar is a carb. You're already tracking carbs. Unless you have a specific medical condition that requires you to monitor sugar, there's no reason to track it. If your carbs are in check, and your calories are in check, you're fine.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    kk811 wrote: »
    I have been trying to cut out processed foods and eat more natural things, and increasing the amount of fruits and other items has been a good way for me to do that.

The problem comes from the high amount of sugars in fruit and dairy products. I usually eat a Chobani 100 Greek yogurt with some kind of fruit on the bottom and an apple for breakfast, grapes or pineapple with a sandwich for lunch, and as the day goes on I can find myself really going over my sugar limit.

Is this necessarily bad, since it is coming in the form of fructose and lactose and not a processed refined sugar or HFCS? Or should I try to eat more vegetables and cut out the fruit and dairy? Thank you for the advice!

Unless you are diabetic or pre-diabetic don't track sugar as their is no reason to, especially if you are seeking to eat more nutrient filled foods.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Unless you are diabetic or pre-diabetic don't track sugar as their is no reason to, especially if you are seeking to eat more nutrient filled foods.

Most diabetic educators tell their T2 patients (who are not taking insulin) not to bother tracking sugars, but they should track total carbs instead since it is more important to keep a low daily average rather than prevent an occasional spike and drop.

• Kalikel
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Dare I ask where you came up with that ridiculous statement?

Back to posting everyone should ask their doctor, are we?

Not back to it, never quit. I don't care if you don't like it. In fact, the fact that you don't like it is kind of a bonus. :)
  • Kalikel
    edited January 2015
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »

No, when they say moderate sugar, experts mean ALL sugar, because they know that sugar is sugar, regardless of the source, and is digested and used in the exact same way in the body.

OP, sugar is a carb. You're already tracking carbs. Unless you have a specific medical condition that requires you to monitor sugar, there's no reason to track it. If your carbs are in check, and your calories are in check, you're fine.
    More MFP Science for me. "All sugars are digested the same way."

Thanks. :)
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This could help. Chart of good, bad and limited sugar foods
    pinterest.com/pin/104990235037488267/
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

kk811the need to reduce/remove sugar from one's diet can be age related. About every 20 years of age some things that were OK become so not OK to eat it seems in my case.

Watching the carbs you eat today might permit you to bypass some future health issues.

Most of us just react to our new health concerns when they put us flat of our backs in a hospital. Not really smart but reality.

It is good that you are already aware diet makes a difference short and long term. If you will cut out/greatly reduce the amount of processed foods you now eat and go more for whole foods you will be glad 40 years from now when you are my current age. Sadly 40 years ago the USA government put us on the road to living on processed foods. You have a chance to bypass that trap due to your age and level of knowledge.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. Unless you have a medical condition like diabetes, insulin resistance, or hypoglycemia, you don't need to worry about it.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I call BS on this statement. There are studies that show that fruit sugars are processed by the body differently than refined and processed sugar.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I call BS on this statement. There are studies that show that fruit sugars are processed by the body differently than refined and processed sugar.

yes, but eating a banana with its vitamins and fibre etc has to be better than a chocolate bar??
    Wouldn't high fibre fruit digest slower than a candy bar, not giving you that sugar high/spike?

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    We are supposed to eat more veggies than fruits!

You have to ask your doctor to know what is best for you!

Neither of these statements is true.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You have to ask your doctor to know what is best for you! )

Sounds like a broken record.

OP: Don't worry about sugar, sugar is not evil!!

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Please share said studies.