Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Not weight related but I really need to vent.

MindySaysWhaaat
MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
As I was driving to my parents home from work today, I got rear-ended. I had noticed this lady behind me when I was at a stop light previously and she was looking around in her car and reaching into the back while on the phone. While at the light she was looking backwards and her car started inching forward. I kinda freaked out a little because I thought she was going to hit me then! So after the light turned green, we both turned onto a different street, and she was right on my bumper. She must not have liked my speed (I was going the speed limit) and got into the lane next to me, but the car in that lane was going the same speed as me, so she got back behind me. That's about when the person in front of me braked, I braked, and boom, she hit me.

I wouldn't be so mad about it, except she tried to claim to the cop that I slammed on my brakes and that there was no one in front of me! She asked me "Why would you do that?!?" and didn't even bother to ask me if I was okay! I haven't been in a car accident in years, but I remember when I was 18 and stupid I DID rear-end someone (yes, it was my fault, I have no problem admitting), and the first thing out of my mouth when I saw them was "Omg, are you okay?!"

The cop took our info, and gave us back our reports, and he ticketed her. He gave me her court date so if something happens where her insurance doesnt pay out I can show up. As I am getting into my car to drive away I see her rushing up to my car in the mirror. She then proceeds to start yelling at me and telling me that it was my fault for slamming on my brakes and that she did nothing wrong. She kept saying "This isn't fair!" and kept trying to make me feel bad because I "scared her son."

The law basically says if you hit someone from behind, no matter what it's your fault. You are responsible for not following someone so closely, because no one is perfect and you have to assume that someone in front of you could stop at any moment without notice. I explained this calmly to her but she kept yelling. I asked her if we needed to get the cop involved because I felt like she was harassing me. I eventually asked her to get away from my car so I could drive away. I'm still frustrated. I drive a fully loaded Chrysler. You really think I'd want to intentionally damage my own car?!

Sorry for writing a novel. I assume most of you probably stopped reading right away...I just needed to vent.

Replies

• anaisbutterfly7
    anaisbutterfly7 Posts: 71 Member
    Sorry that happened. Some people have a hard time dealing with car accidents, dealing with being wrong or at fault, and many other things. The only thing I can recommend is to give yourself some self care (take a bubble bath, have a drink (if that is your thing), maybe even have some decadent dessert (if it fits your macros ;) ).

I hope you feel better!
  • Sweetsluv
    Sweetsluv Posts: 2,260 Member
    edited January 2015
    Understandable to be worked up over this but I always try to look on the bright side. No one was hurt and you lived to vent about it here. We cannot control the actions of others, just ourselves and how we react to them. Count them blessings and don't let the stress ruin the rest of your night. So sorry that happened to you but glad to hear that you and everyone else involved are safe.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Accidents are accidents, but, I still get mega annoyed when I get hit. I've been hit THREE times. All by idiots.
    Don't worry about her, she's probably just in fight mode from the shock, we all react differently.
    Sorry to hear about your car & hope you're ok :)
  • maeld51
    maeld51 Posts: 3,415 Member
    Frustrating, hope you feel a little better now. :p
    I had a man tell me once that because he put his blinker on, it was my responsibility to slow down and let him over, nevermind I had to slam on the brakes so he wouldn't hit me. :s Not in my world.
  • raiden6
    raiden6 Posts: 21 Member
    You don't have to apologise! :)

She is totally in the wrong here and hopefully a) you're ok b) her insurance covers any costs incurred.

Even if someone does slam on the brake, the person travelling behind should, in theory, be far enough back for this exact reason. Anyway, hope not too much damage was done! :)
  • kymberlin
    kymberlin Posts: 113 Member
    Wow, that's awful. I'm glad you're ok. I backed into a parked car a few years ago. I was looking and everything. I really have no idea how I didn't see the red car. I went into the store and had to walk up and down the aisle asking people if it was their car. Found the lady and it was her husbands brand new car. We called the cops and everyone kept saying they couldn't believe I went in to find her. Most people would have just driven away. It was super minor damage and didn't result in a ticket or insurance having to pay but, I felt so awful. Can't even imagine if someone had been in the car. Some people only care about themselves. Anyway again, glad you're ok.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    Thanks to everyone for the support. I am glad no one was hurt in either car. I am going to try to let it go, I just think I needed to get it off my chest. I just wish she hadn't fought with me afterwards, especially since she was so illogical. She kept trying to say there was no car in front of me at all.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    I feel a need to update here: I had to go online today to download a copy of the police report. I found out that the lady who hit me has an insurance company called "Unique Insurance Company." I called them, and after being immediately put on hold for about 20 minutes, I was able to file my claim. I decided to google the company, and of course it's a 1 star company on yelp that apparently has (or had at one point according to a local news station) an F rating with the better business bureau. I have to go sometime this week to one of their body shops to have pictures taken of my car. :\ I'm worried that they're going to give me issues since I have read nothing but terrible reviews about them.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    I'm not sure where you're at, but here in Texas, the insurance company has to pay whatever body shop you choose to go to. The name of her company sounds pretty sketchy.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    wolfsbayne wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you're at, but here in Texas, the insurance company has to pay whatever body shop you choose to go to. The name of her company sounds pretty sketchy.

I'm in Illinois. It's basically the same here where the insurance company cuts you a check for the damage and you can go wherever you want. My mom (who works for American Family Insurance) thinks it's pretty sketchy that they're only taking pictures and not getting an actual estimate. She thinks it means they're going to look at the pictures and think it's not as bad as it really is and try to burn me. My car doesn't look all that damaged if you're standing up looking at it, but if you look from underneath you can see that the bumper is cracked and it's all pushed upwards like the front of her car went up underneath mine. At least I only have a 250 deductible so if I have to put the claim in through my own insurance it won't be so bad, but I'm not looking forward to the surcharge on my insurance if I have to do this :(
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    iwannabeonthebeach Posts: 146 Member
    Here in the UK its the same situation - if you rear end someone then you were too close and/or going too fast, regardless of any other supposedly mitigating circumstances. I found that out to my cost a few years ago when I was the one doing the rear-ending. She can bluster all she likes, she was at fault, end of story.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Sue her for "Emotional Distress."
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Sue her for "Emotional Distress."

Hah, I wish. My dad actually thinks I should go to the hospital and claim that my back or neck hurt. I don't want to lie though. I just want my car fixed and I want to be done with this. My mom is thinking I'm going to have to put a claim in through my own insurance because of how shady her insurance company looks. She has assured me that thankfully my insurance won't go up if I have to do this though, I'll just have to pay my $250 deductible.