Gaining weight to just gain weight?

Options
Hello, I'm not sure which forum I should have posted this question but I hope it is alright for me to put it here. According to bmi calculators, I am underweight. I feel fine and get my regular times of the month. My mother says I look like a bag of bones and should gain at least 20 pounds, while my significant other says I look good. Should I purposely eat more just to gain weight even though I am able to function well and feel good?

Stats:
Height: 6ft
Weight: 120
BMI: 16.3

Typical intake- I focus mostly on protein and calcium because I had a DEXA scan a few years ago that came out with mild bone loss (osteopenia range)
Breakfast:
1 cup Old Fashioned Oatmeal- 300 cals, 10g protein
1 cup 2% milk- 130 cals, 8g protein, 30% calcium
2 tbsp peanut butter- 190 cals, 7g protein
1 banana- 100 cals

Lunch:
plain greek yogurt- 90 cals, 15g protein, 15% calcium OR clif bar- 240 cals, 10g protein, 25% calcium
1 banana and/or other fruit- 100 cals

Snack- clif kid zbar- 120 cals, 2g protein, 20% calcium

Dinner: varies, mostly a protein, a starch, and a vegetable, total about 500-800 cals

Snack- 1 cup warm milk- 130 cals, 8g protein, 30% calcium
if I had a busy day or lighter dinner, I'll have 2tbsp peanut butter and fruit

Bottom line, should I continue with this plan if it works for me or am I missing something?
Thanks in advance for any input!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Yeah, probably. Perhaps your bone loss, for example, is a result of underfeeding.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    osteopenia in your early 20's???? yeah, you definitely need to gain some weight. that is too young for that.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You really should actually consult your doctor first. :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Gaining some weight could definitely help your bone loss. Another great way for women to improve their bone density is to start strength training. As you begin to eat more strength training will help you fill out evenly with lean mass and reduce the amount of fat mass you would gain.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    This doesn't seem like enough calories to gain weight. I am only 5'3" and would probably maintain at 1900 calories. Add some food to lunch: meat, rice, beans, etc. An easy way to add calories is to add more fat. Do you put any butter on your vegetables? Like avocado?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think the bone loss is a damn good reason to gain some weight. What does your doctor say?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    This doesn't seem like enough calories to gain weight. I am only 5'3" and would probably maintain at 1900 calories. Add some food to lunch: meat, rice, beans, etc. An easy way to add calories is to add more fat. Do you put any butter on your vegetables? Like avocado?

It's a starting point. A good way to start when gaining or losing is slowly add or take away from what you normally eat and adjust when the scale doesn't move in the direction you want.
  • jbgolf52
    jbgolf52 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Your bone loss is 100% to not eating enough. Eat at least 2,500 at a minimum, preferably more, and see how to scale goes. Aim to gain 0.5-1lb/week and lift heavy weights at least three times a week. Having osteopenia now is not good at all, fix this ASAP or else you will be injury prone for the rest of your life.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    jbgolf52 wrote: »
    Your bone loss is 100% to not eating enough. Eat at least 2,500 at a minimum, preferably more, and see how to scale goes. Aim to gain 0.5-1lb/week and lift heavy weights at least three times a week. Having osteopenia now is not good at all, fix this ASAP or else you will be injury prone for the rest of your life.

Her approximate TDEE at this point is around 1900 (that's if she has no other issues that would lower her TDEE, like hormonal imbalances). Eating 2500 immediately may not be the best idea. She should really talk to her doctor and get a referral to registered dietitian.
  • jbgolf52
    jbgolf52 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Her approximate TDEE at this point is around 1900 (that's if she has no other issues that would lower her TDEE, like hormonal imbalances). Eating 2500 immediately may not be the best idea. She should really talk to her doctor and get a referral to registered dietitian.

How do you know what her TDEE is? She did not say what her activity level is, and given that she is 20yrs old you don't want to be messing around with bone loss. You have to correct the problem ASAP, it's not something to mess around with. 2,500 will put her in a good surplus as long as she's not crazy active.

• usmcmp
    Options
    jbgolf52 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »

How do you know what her TDEE is? She did not say what her activity level is, and given that she is 20yrs old you don't want to be messing around with bone loss. You have to correct the problem ASAP, it's not something to mess around with. 2,500 will put her in a good surplus as long as she's not crazy active.

I make a few assumptions, but I'm usually pretty close. Considering her food list and calories above as her way to start gaining I highly doubt she could handle 2500 calories. She does need help ASAP, but seeking professional medical help is going to be far more productive than attempting to gorge herself on what is more than twice what she currently eats.
  • walkingandwalking
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. I have seen doctors and a registered dietitian. Some doctors do not mention anything about the weight, while others say I should gain some weight. The dietitian suggested I make sure I have more calcium. I only added the osteopenia as a side note for explaining why I was tracking calcium. It is an issue I am working on and some other people in my family have osteoporosis. I was just hoping to hear from anyone who has experience with being classified as underweight but is otherwise in general good health. Thanks again.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're looking for people to validate what you really want to do, which is to stay underweight. You're not just on the cusp of underweight; your BMI is 16.3. At least one recent study suggests that it's actually healthier to be overweight than it is to be underweight.

http://www.jabfm.org/content/25/4/422.full
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're looking for people to validate what you really want to do, which is to stay underweight. You're not just on the cusp of underweight; your BMI is 16.3. At least one recent study suggests that it's actually healthier to be overweight than it is to be underweight.

http://www.jabfm.org/content/25/4/422.full

Bingo!! So this. I just referenced the same study 5 minutes ago. ;)

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I was just hoping to hear from anyone who has experience with being classified as underweight but is otherwise in general good health. Thanks again.
    Technically, I'm underweight but healthwise I'm in pretty good shape. I am looking to put on some weight though, and as it's been mentioned this is where the benefits of weight training come in.
  • lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    some other people in my family have osteoporosis.
    Won't being underweight increase your own risk of developing it?

Anyway, if doctors have told you to put on weight, it's probably best to do that, y'know. Why don't you want to?
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. I have seen doctors and a registered dietitian. Some doctors do not mention anything about the weight, while others say I should gain some weight. The dietitian suggested I make sure I have more calcium. I only added the osteopenia as a side note for explaining why I was tracking calcium. It is an issue I am working on and some other people in my family have osteoporosis. I was just hoping to hear from anyone who has experience with being classified as underweight but is otherwise in general good health. Thanks again.

even if other people in your family have osteoporosis, it is not normal for there to be signs of it on the horizon in your early 20's. your weight seems to be a clear reason to me, not your family history.
  • walkingandwalking
    Options
    I can see how it may come across that I am looking for validation to remain underweight. I've been working hard to get enough protein and calcium and if my weight has mostly stayed the same then maybe I have a lower weight set point. I didn't have much calcium before the DEXA scan so my bone density could have improved or not decreased in the years since. Some people say the bmi scale is skewed, which is why I was asking if anyone is classified as being underweight although they eat enough and maintain relative health. I value medical opinions and have a physical in a few months, but I do value hearing other people's experiences because not everyone follows a uniform scale. I apologize if it came across that I am trying to promote being purposely underweight because that was not my intention at all.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You are not in general good health and that is directly related to your body weight

With a family history of osteoporosis and already at 20 showing issues with your bones I would be working like the clappers to put on healthy weight not looking for validation that I'm ok like this because my boyfriend likes it ...he is not going to be living in your body in 20 years...and that 20 years is going to go by far faster than you ever deemed possible