First hiccup and I'm ready to throw in the towel

Options
i eat my calories, usually under...don't feel like I'm starving, workout out daily and I know I underestimate the burn...worked in the beginning but the past 2 days I am just gaining and I've done nothing different.....why? Ahhhhhh

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How long have you been tracking? This is a slow process and you can not expect overnight success.
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Weight changes plus or minus 2-5lbs, on a daily basis. If you can't take the swings daily don't weight daily.. Weigh weeky instead!
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Because of hormones, salt or you gotta go #2. When you feel like giving up, you have to push on.... it WILL come off.
  • mommymissy82
    mommymissy82 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You guys are fantastic...i don't really have much support at home., so not too many people to talk to so I truly thank you guys for responding...wasn't sure anyone would
  • gostumpy
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Harsh reality, if you are willing to give up because one week didn't go well, you need to re evaluate your weight loss dedication.

Real weight loss is a long term commitment.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    More than likely it is just water weight. You may want to have a weekly weigh in day that is your "official" weight check in.

Are you weighing all of your food?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yes, everyone on here wants you to do well. Best wishes
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Why would you give up after only 2 days??

My personal motto: If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up!!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    A lot of good advice above. Also, food and exercise tracking is a matter of trial and error. It's extremely difficult to be 100% accurate with either, so I would be surprised if you've got it down pat after only 2 days.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    OP, give it more than 2 days. You didn't put all the weight on in 2 days; don't expect to take it off in 2 days either. Just be patient. :)
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have gone several weeks in a row without losing weight. It can be discouraging, but then it starts to fall off again if you keep doing things right. Overall I've lost 70 pounds. You can do this! It does take time and dedication though.

A previous poster commented to make sure you are Weighing all of your foods. I completely agree. If you don't weigh all of your foods you will likely overeat and go over your calories and not realize it. Be sure you are not estimating. Get a digital food scale. They help considerably.
  • ChronicOptimist
    ChronicOptimist Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    ajfuelling wrote: »
    Because of hormones, salt or you gotta go #2. When you feel like giving up, you have to push on.... it WILL come off.

Hahahaha - you gotta go #2... you have to push on...

I'm sorry, I'm apparently 12. Keep at it, OP!

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Also

I went through your diary and you have a lot of entrees listed as a cup of this or that.
    That is not the same as weighing your food
    You probably get also more calories than you think.

Weigh all your solid food and measure your liquids :)

and what the others say too, give it some time. But be accurate with your calorie intake ( weighing and measuring) It really makes a difference
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It takes about 3500 calories deficit to burn a pound of fat off. That is going to take a lot of work and won't happen in two days. Additionally, are you watching your salt levels? If I eat too much sodium, I sometimes stall for a few days or even put a couple pounds on. A gallon of water weighs 8 pounds and your body can store a couple liters just because of too much sodium. Think on that for a moment. Water weight from over indulgence in sodium takes a few days to get off and there isn't much you can do to make it go more quickly unless you want to sweat the excess sodium out. But still, every day you are over on sodium, you are setting yourself further back from seeing those numbers drop. Trust me, I know. I have a love hate relationship with salt.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Ups and downs, rapid losses followed by plateaus, all of these are normal, and you have to set up your expectations accordingly.

If it helps, get an app like Trendweight (iOS) or Libra (Android) that smooths out the fluctuations to show you the pace at which you're actually losing weight.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    When I have thoughts like this, I ask myself: Okay, so I could keep doing this without a guarantee that on any given week, I'll lose...or I could go back to what I was doing before, which was a GUARANTEED gain...which will it be?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    There are a number of items in your food diary without calories eg 1tbls of peanut butter, cup of milk..you are probably eating more than you think.

That said its only been a couple of days...give it time...make sure the items you are choosing in your food diary are correct (that is those that should have calories but are showing 0)...
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You are likely to have lots of hiccups along the way. Don't let them put you off. You'll feel much worse for giving up completely than you would for one day going over calories.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Weight is a bad measure for fat loss ...it goes up and down every single day because it is masked by water weight fluctuations which can be due to more sodium in diet, change up in exercise, natural hormones, dehydration etc

It is normal

If it helps, this is my normal over the last 2 months, I started weighing most days and I'm aiming for 0.5-1lbs a week...see the up / downs then drops, the surges and re-balancing ...normal ..been like that over the last 8 months and I've dropped 44lbs so far ..calorie defecit works

omiomfepmmqq.jpg

You need to look at the long term trend but you need to log calories as accurately as possible by weighing all your food, choosing entries with care, not cheating yourself
  • gostumpy
    Options
    ^^^ this! I play online poker, and it's the exact same.. The most important part is to stick with it and keep going, don't get caught up on the daily or even weekly swings, accept that they will happen and just keep going! You need MONTHS of data to see a real graph of progress.. So do a couple months and see how it's going!!! You didn't gain the weight in a week don't expect it to dissapear in a week either!