How to deal with disordered thoughts after going over calories?

Options
mavers1
mavers1 Posts: 39 Member
edited January 2015 in Motivation and Support
today I went out with a friend and before I knew it the food I consumed for the day was up to 2600 calories. I felt disgusted and was going to exercise but then I recognized a strain of thoughts I hadn't dealt with since resolving my ED problems. I had been thinking about resolving my issues in less healthy ways even after doing relatively well in the past week since I started again.

I don't know how to deal with running towards dangerous thoughts and I do have a therapist but I wanted to hear from the community here.

I'm really angry and disappointed with myself but I don't want to take it out on my body with excessive exercise or food restriction.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Log it and forget it, tomorrow is a new day.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    mavers1 wrote: »
    today I went out with a friend and before I knew it the food I consumed for the day was up to 2600 calories. I felt disgusted and was going to exercise but then I recognized a strain of thoughts I hadn't dealt with since resolving my ED problems. I had been thinking about resolving my issues in less healthy ways even after doing relatively well in the past week since I started again.

I don't know how to deal with running towards dangerous thoughts and I do have a therapist but I wanted to hear from the community here.

I'm really angry and disappointed with myself but I don't want to take it out on my body with excessive exercise or food restriction.

Just know bad days happen. You go out and overeat, but tomorrow is another day. Healthy living isn't always linear as it has ups and downs. Chalk this up to a down day. Don't beat yourself up and don't restrict your calories tomorrow. Just eat at a slight deficit tomorrow and move on.

This isn't a race. You WILL mess up. We all do, but loving ourselves doesn't simply mean healthy eating. It means accepting when we make mistakes/ learning from said mistakes/ and loving yourself unconditionally when mistakes happen.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Angry and disappointed? You had fun with a friend. Angry and disappointed is the ED talking. Real talk: you are AWESOME for stopping and thinking instead of giving in to ED behaviors. That's a victory, not a defeat.

Please talk about this with your therapist. If one day of having fun with a friend or one week hanging around MFP (I think that was an implication in the last sentence? if not, my apologies) is enough to spiral you into ED thoughts, perhaps your issues there aren't as resolved as you hope? (a humble suggestion from someone who has been there...not trying to be mean.)
  • mavers1
    mavers1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Angry and disappointed? You had fun with a friend. Angry and disappointed is the ED talking. Real talk: you are AWESOME for stopping and thinking instead of giving in to ED behaviors. That's a victory, not a defeat.

Please talk about this with your therapist. If one day of having fun with a friend or one week hanging around MFP (I think that was an implication in the last sentence? if not, my apologies) is enough to spiral you into ED thoughts, perhaps your issues there aren't as resolved as you hope? (a humble suggestion from someone who has been there...not trying to be mean.)

You're right. I'm just afraid it means my self control is not good and that I'm not going to lose the weight I want to lose. It was just scary to see. By so much better than how I'd been eating before anyway.

Thank you!
  • duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just note that the number is green again the next day - a green light for doing awesome today!
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

You're right. I'm just afraid it means my self control is not good and that I'm not going to lose the weight I want to lose. It was just scary to see. By so much better than how I'd been eating before anyway.

Thank you!

No. Your self control is fantastic. You caught yourself about to 'overexercise' to 'punish' your bad eating, and you stopped in time. In short, you did a fantastic job and I hope you tell your therapist. Stopping yourself before the bad ritual is very hard to do.

It helps to remember that whatever is in the past is gone. So just wave it goodbye! :D I took the child out to burger king the other day for dinner, had a BK chicken and found out when I got home it was over 700 cals for a manky squashed sandwich containing a fake chicken cutlet and three grams of lettuce. Robbed, I tell you! Robbed!
  • hhjoshhh
    Options
    For years I've struggled with this problem where I get skinny and then eat like crap for a week and I'm fat as hell...! Turns out...I had a really nasty habit of starving my self sometimes for days and it basically converted my muscle to useable energy because I wasn't getting any carbs!!!!! So even the protein I was eating was being converted to energy. I balanced my macronutrients (carbs,proteins,fats) via MFP and I'm going to the gym and building muscle/losing weight...it's FRICKIN awesome!!!! IIFYM if it fits your macros!!!!!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Look at it as your treat meal and move forward! There's actually a lot of good reasons to have a treat meal every so often, so don't beat yourself up over it. We all have days that we're over, it happens. You won't wreck your hard work with one meal. So log it, move on. Tomorrow is a new day. No extreme restrictions tomorrow, just go forward as normal.
  • sskitka
    sskitka Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Life is a journey it's a lot of ups and downs. You could have eaten more calories.... You could have purged... you could have done a lot of things but I pray for 1 you didn't. If you did then first things first forgive yourself. If we are going to change our lives in better health and eating habits. We must have a Grace period/ a free day. Plus you are going to have to allow for fulfilling all of your taste buds.... I'm not 100% sure which eating disorder you are dealing with but I for one am a "stress eater" ie. I fight with my guy my brain automatically would tell me "oh just go get a cookie's-n-cream candy bar and a 44 ounce mountain dew.... and then I would get yelled at by a patient for being late or forgetting something and the next store here I come for another snicker's.... I know it's sick but I lived that way for a year and gained approximately 70 pound on top of already being Obese. I am a registered nurse and I knew what I was doing was bad but I didn't "think" about every bite, or track anything during my crazy moments.
    My point is this. If you are thinking about the foods you are consuming making educated choices of the lower calorie choices, the more nutritious item, the more filling and satisfying choice and you are keeping track of it on MFP then I believe you can kick this eating disorder in the butt and live a healthy and progressive life style.
    I just can't diet without carbs. The best way I learned from was a book by this diet science lady called "The 'I" diet". Her methods work and helped me figure out how to pair foods for satiety and high fiber diet keeps my GI tract and bowels on point.
    oh yes and You are successful!
    May Jesus get ahold of you and NEVER let you Go!!!
    Peace be with you!
  • SylviaGem
    SylviaGem Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Add me. Idk if I can be of help but all my life I have struggled with my weight & in high school I lost a lot of weight but developed eating disorders & I can tell you now as a college student who had went through counseling for those disorders & gained all her weight back & then some that those thoughts never go away! But tomorrow is another day and all you can do is try to make it better than what today was! I got a long journey to get all my weight back off and this time the healthy way! & I can use all the support I can get but I don't mind giving support either so hopefully we can help each other out!
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Just know bad days happen...
    This isn't a race. You WILL mess up. We all do, but loving ourselves doesn't simply mean healthy eating. It means accepting when we make mistakes/ learning from said mistakes/ and loving yourself unconditionally when mistakes happen.

Wow those are very useful words of wisdom. I need to print that out and hang it on my bathroom mirror. :smile:
  • elorac26
    elorac26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you recognized the thoughts and DID NOT act on them. That's really important. Good for you! Your therapist is going to give you a high five! Like thorsmom says call it a treat meal...you took a break so give yourself a break. It is not unusual for people to overeat occasionally...holidays, birthdays, reunions... Thinking you're a bad person for doing so is what you have to kick in the butt. So back to work. No more being so hard on yourself for something that's what we call being human.