Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Constant cravers and emotional eaters

Looking to shed only about half a stone but would like to find pals with similar eating issues and gain a healthy approach to food without constantly thinking about it, obsessing about it and then feel guilty about overeating.

Replies

• amoods05
    amoods05 Posts: 32 Member
    that's me! I have a terrible relationship with food. I wish I could find a way to not feel this way...I have considered therapy for it. everyday when I binge or overeat, I just continue because "it's the very last day I will get to eat this stuff" it's a vicious cycle! every single day this week was "the last day". I feel for you!
  • muzikanka
    muzikanka Posts: 3 Member
    I emotionally ate half a bag of chips last night. After a rather healthy and delicious meal. It's been a long couple of weeks, and it's all piled up on me.

And while I'm still in progress, I think one of the biggest aids for me in the past was literally stopping and thinking about every bite I take and asking "why?" Granted, some days the answer is "*kitten* it! That's why." but you can't beat yourself up about being human.

Food is good. Don't hate food. If you need to make a more gradual transition in your diet, then that may be the answer, rather than an abrupt cut-off of all sugars and fats.

• blake8646
    blake8646 Posts: 4 Member
    I have struggled every day of my life (it feels) with the same trouble you 3 have, terrible relationship with food, emotional eater, every day is the 'last day/last time'. I honestly feel like I've given up on myself. I feel embarrassed and ashamed. But I also feel completely helpless. (I have just ordered dinner from burger fuel).
    I feel like I'm giving up my life for food because I avoid social events. I refuse dates. I am in a big fat HOLE!!!
    Heaven help us!!
  • I tend to be very busy during the day so won't eat very much. If I "give in" however and have lunch I feel like a failure. Because I like to save up my calories for night time I don't like to eat during the day but constantly thinking about it. Then I pig out at night, often going over my allowance. Even though i am not overweight I constantly punish myself if I overeat and then the binge/starve cycle begins. It is tiring and I feel like being in a big hole myself.
    And I can totally relate to avoiding social situations - it's a total nightmare going anywhere, fussing over calorie count, then often giving up thinking "new start tomorrow ".

• wynnie10
    wynnie10 Posts: 5 Member
    I'm totally an emotional eater and over the past few weeks I'm finding that I'm secret eating, eating a "little portion of the kids dinner" then telling my hubby I haven't eaten yet and eating with him
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Im definitely an emotional eater. That said ive made peace with the fact that I will always be a foodie. Im just trying to slowly redirect my obsession with food towards a healthier perspective. I get as excited about a nommy salad now as I do a piece of cake.

Still working on picking the salad OVER the cake though lol
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    edited January 2015
    I think there was a BBC Horizon documentary about this recently.

Constant craving reminds me of that KD Lang song though.

Edit to add: here is the link to the programme - not sure if you can watch it outside the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02ddsd9/broadcasts/2015/01
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I am that, and a feaster, too - been having a terrible relationship with food since adolescence - now after a year on MFP we are reconciled, but it takes vigilance and some effort every day to keep it that way. I have replaced snacking and binging on cheap junk with delicious meals of cheap whole food. Instead of being afraid of fat and calories, and ignore my true needs, I choose to trust in the process and learn to listen to my body. Have lost 45 lbs doing that and am at a normal and healthy weight.