Constant cravers and emotional eaters

Options
Looking to shed only about half a stone but would like to find pals with similar eating issues and gain a healthy approach to food without constantly thinking about it, obsessing about it and then feel guilty about overeating.

Replies

• amoods05
    amoods05 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    that's me! I have a terrible relationship with food. I wish I could find a way to not feel this way...I have considered therapy for it. everyday when I binge or overeat, I just continue because "it's the very last day I will get to eat this stuff" it's a vicious cycle! every single day this week was "the last day". I feel for you!
  • muzikanka
    muzikanka Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I emotionally ate half a bag of chips last night. After a rather healthy and delicious meal. It's been a long couple of weeks, and it's all piled up on me.

And while I'm still in progress, I think one of the biggest aids for me in the past was literally stopping and thinking about every bite I take and asking "why?" Granted, some days the answer is "*kitten* it! That's why." but you can't beat yourself up about being human.

Food is good. Don't hate food. If you need to make a more gradual transition in your diet, then that may be the answer, rather than an abrupt cut-off of all sugars and fats.

• blake8646
    blake8646 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have struggled every day of my life (it feels) with the same trouble you 3 have, terrible relationship with food, emotional eater, every day is the 'last day/last time'. I honestly feel like I've given up on myself. I feel embarrassed and ashamed. But I also feel completely helpless. (I have just ordered dinner from burger fuel).
    I feel like I'm giving up my life for food because I avoid social events. I refuse dates. I am in a big fat HOLE!!!
    Heaven help us!!
  • Natalka17
    Options
    I tend to be very busy during the day so won't eat very much. If I "give in" however and have lunch I feel like a failure. Because I like to save up my calories for night time I don't like to eat during the day but constantly thinking about it. Then I pig out at night, often going over my allowance. Even though i am not overweight I constantly punish myself if I overeat and then the binge/starve cycle begins. It is tiring and I feel like being in a big hole myself.
    And I can totally relate to avoiding social situations - it's a total nightmare going anywhere, fussing over calorie count, then often giving up thinking "new start tomorrow ".

• wynnie10
    wynnie10 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm totally an emotional eater and over the past few weeks I'm finding that I'm secret eating, eating a "little portion of the kids dinner" then telling my hubby I haven't eaten yet and eating with him
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Im definitely an emotional eater. That said ive made peace with the fact that I will always be a foodie. Im just trying to slowly redirect my obsession with food towards a healthier perspective. I get as excited about a nommy salad now as I do a piece of cake.

Still working on picking the salad OVER the cake though lol
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think there was a BBC Horizon documentary about this recently.

Constant craving reminds me of that KD Lang song though.

Edit to add: here is the link to the programme - not sure if you can watch it outside the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02ddsd9/broadcasts/2015/01
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I am that, and a feaster, too - been having a terrible relationship with food since adolescence - now after a year on MFP we are reconciled, but it takes vigilance and some effort every day to keep it that way. I have replaced snacking and binging on cheap junk with delicious meals of cheap whole food. Instead of being afraid of fat and calories, and ignore my true needs, I choose to trust in the process and learn to listen to my body. Have lost 45 lbs doing that and am at a normal and healthy weight.