Not sure how to eat "right"

Options
hey there ! Cutting to the chase, I come from a family or pork loving , salt using , southern natives so we do love our soul food , bacon grease and butter . In the past few years however , we have switched those cholesterol ridden substances out of our diets .
I eat pretty healthy in my opinion but im still gaining weight or Stuck at a weight where I'm uncomfortable. Any insight on how to change my diet for the better ? I'm trying to lose 10lbs by August . :) thanks !

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?
  • vegasvada
    vegasvada Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to the boards here but have used MFP before and lost 50lbs. Start tracking your food. Everything you eat and how much of it. You will probably realize that you either eat healthy but to much of it or you don't eat as healthy as you think. It can be a real eye opener.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Just cutting out fats won't cause you to lose weight. To lose weight, you need to cut calories. Exercise also helps.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am nobody for eating "right".. whatever the hel that is... Count everything, weigh everything and log... Stay at goal and it works..

I had McDonald's last night, cupcake, wine and so forth this week alone lol
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Barring any medical conditions that may affect your weight... if you're still gaining weight despite eating healthier, you're eating too many calories.

To use some random numbers as an example... If you're meant to eat 1900 calories a day and you eat 2000, that's a 100 calories surplus (which isn't much food, a banana is about 100 cals) a day which is roughly a pound a month you'll gain. Purely for weight loss, it doesn't matter if that 2000 is made up of a tub of bacon fat or a mountain of broccoli. Too much is too much, plain and simple.

You don't really need to change what you eat, just how much of it. Use the MFP calculators to determine how many calories a day you should eat to lose 1/2lb a week. Then log all your food making sure you don't exceed that number. If it's not enough food for you, you'll also need to increase your exercise to get more calories.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat at a caloric deficit and you'll lose. So what you normally do, only less.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am nobody for eating "right".. whatever the hel that is... Count everything, weigh everything and log... Stay at goal and it works..

If you are not counting and weighing you cant know whether you are at goal, under goal, or over goal. That is just called guessing. Heck, maybe just measure instead of weighing if it's easier (which isn't as accurate), but my point is you do need to be keeping track.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    moto450 wrote: »

If you are not counting and weighing you cant know whether you are at goal, under goal, or over goal. That is just called guessing. Heck, maybe just measure instead of weighing if it's easier (which isn't as accurate), but my point is you do need to be keeping track.

She is weighing and measuring, with the exception of McD's (which they have nutritional info on their website she's accounted for)- look at her diary.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want in moderation! Keep weighing and measuring your food, stay within your calorie goal a day, and get some exercise in a day, and you will see a loss!
  • top_mom
    top_mom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    tracking by weighing and measuring.. and get active! Find an activity you enjoy and get out there and do it! Good luck on your journey!
  • alaagui21
    Options
    Try to stop using salt / food with many sodium on it - i personally avoid processed foods and I eat lots of veggies fruits and starches (currently I'm on a vegan diet)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eating right = eating enough nutrients and an appropriate amount to be a healthy weight.

So eating enough protein, fat, and vitamins (that's where the '5 servings a day of fruit and vegetables' thing comes in). So... eat some protein and good fats (ie, not processed stuff, typically), and a lot of fruit and veggies. And once you eat enough of those, eat the rest of the calories whatever way you want.
  • alexisnicole2009
    Options
    Great advice all around . I think i'll try more fresh fruits and vegetables and im going to the gym 3x a week now ! Greatly appreciated
  • hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Don't worry about cholesterol. Soul food is awesome! Bacon grease, butter, lard, and all that goodness that used to be the bad guy du jour - like sugar is now - is not bad for you. It's tasty, as you and I well know, and it's good for your bones, your hair, teeth, organs, immune system, your brain, eyes, everything. What you gotta watch with that stuff is how much you eat. Soul food ain't shy on calories, that's for sure. The trick I learned is to eat a little less and enjoy it a little more. It's real easy too. I just eat a little slower and really pay attention to the taste, then put my fork or whatever down and just feel the goodness. I find that I can sense when I've had enough. That's working for me. I don't know if it would work for you, but it might. Just don't stop livin'. Soul food makes the world a better place
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm not familier with Soul Food. What is it ?
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Eat the foods you love, just eat a little less of it. Get some exercise. Get a food scale and measure all your food. KNOW how much you are eating. Adjust as necessary.