Need advice please just stopped drinking

Options
hi everyone hope everyone is doing well. I just wanted to ask should I start doing insanity yet someone told me I should wait and see what my body does without alcohol first. as most of my calories came from alcohol before I started my weight loss plan.

Replies

• magcowling
    magcowling Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do not understand what you mean "should I start doing insanity" but by giving up alcohol you should loose some weight, providing you are eating sensibly. If you are sure that you are not over eating and have a well balanced diet. I would try cutting out alcohol first to see how that goes. It will be interesting to see what others think on this subject, Hope you do well.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    It never hurts to move! I say if you want to do Insanity, do it.

How are you doing meeting your calorie goal with food calories? Be sure to eat those, plus a bit more if you are spending more than a few minutes doing insanity.

Don't feel like you have to exercise yourself to death in order to lose weight though. You can start with just the calorie deficit (eating less than your body needs to fuel itself each day) and gradually add in exercise.

Good luck. Very cool that you are doing this for yourself!

55835802.png

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm confused! Are you referring to previously having an issue with a high alcohol intake. Or just that your 'additional' calorie surplus came via empty alcohol calories? In regards to embarking on an exercise plan.. Calorie deficit is all that's needed for weight loss. Exercise is needed for overall general health.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Ahh, you don't need to put off exercising because you're off alcohol.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »

How are you doing meeting your calorie goal with food calories? Be sure to eat those, plus a bit more if you are spending more than a few minutes doing insanity.

Don't feel like you have to exercise yourself to death in order to lose weight though. You can start with just the calorie deficit (eating less than your body needs to fuel itself each day) and gradually add in exercise.

55835802.png

This!!!
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Do you have any physical limitations that might lead you to injury?
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I second this.
  • phoenixbaby2014
    Options
    magcowling wrote: »
    I do not understand what you mean "should I start doing insanity" but by giving up alcohol you should loose some weight, providing you are eating sensibly. If you are sure that you are not over eating and have a well balanced diet. I would try cutting out alcohol first to see how that goes. It will be interesting to see what others think on this subject, Hope you do well.

I am referring to the insanity workout I bought the DVD set.
  • phoenixbaby2014
    Options

Hi no I don't
  • phoenixbaby2014
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »

55835802.png

This!!!

I have trouble eating up to my allowance as I feel full after eating a little and work means I don't really snack.
  • phoenixbaby2014
    Options
    moto450 wrote: »

I second this.

Hi thank u just a confusing time at the moment
  • phoenixbaby2014
    Options

• SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Hi no I don't

Sorry, I have to ask because I injured my back jumping in and doing Jillian Michael's shred workout, so that is a "sore spot" with me.

Make sure when you start with your DVD that you take the time to do proper form. Also if you feel pain, stop. Looking back, I did not have the proper form due to a weak core. I am better now. Maybe I could do it now? Hmmmmm...

Sore muscles after a workout are fine. Pain is not. Good Luck!

• phoenixbaby2014
    Options
    magcowling wrote: »

I am referring to the insanity workout I bought the DVD set.

And I already do a lot of walking so DVD was extra exercise for me as going to the gym not an option with the kids and work no time n no childcare.
  • phoenixbaby2014
    Options

Hi no I don't

Sorry, I have to ask because I injured my back jumping in and doing Jillian Michael's shred workout, so that is a "sore spot" with me.

Make sure when you start with your DVD that you take the time to do proper form. Also if you feel pain, stop. Looking back, I did not have the proper form due to a weak core. I am better now. Maybe I could do it now? Hmmmmm...

Sore muscles after a workout are fine. Pain is not. Good Luck!

Glad your better and thanx for advice will be sure to start carefully
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Don't know the details of your drinking, of course, but often a good thing to do is get involved in healthy activities to use the time you were drinking, so I think starting an exercise program is a great idea, and for me exercising always makes it easier to eat healthy.

I found that I started wanting more sleep after I stopped (I had been getting not that much for ages and my body at first couldn't sleep sober and then I needed to sleep lots) so if you have something like that definitely let yourself rest, even if it means pushing yourself less hard, but doing a program like Insanity seems like a good idea.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Wait until you sober up first.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Don't know the details of your drinking, of course, but often a good thing to do is get involved in healthy activities to use the time you were drinking, so I think starting an exercise program is a great idea, and for me exercising always makes it easier to eat healthy.

I found that I started wanting more sleep after I stopped (I had been getting not that much for ages and my body at first couldn't sleep sober and then I needed to sleep lots) so if you have something like that definitely let yourself rest, even if it means pushing yourself less hard, but doing a program like Insanity seems like a good idea.
    Trouble sleeping is a very common issue for people who quit. You may have already known that, but just in case. :)

Agree that a new hobby or even "addiction"-type thing is a bonus. Many of Bill W's friends took up something else in place of the booze. Some spend extra time at work or even get second jobs just so they won't focus on the drinking. Woodworking, sewing, exercise - whatever floats your boat.

Congratulations on quitting. Keep up the good work!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Did you really mean that "most" of your calories came from alcohol? That seems like a lot. If "what your body might do" without the alcohol referred to possible withdrawals it might be wise to wait a bit.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much of a drinker you were and what your personal withdrawal symptoms are. If you have severe withdrawal symptoms you should stick to lower intensity workouts until you are past withdrawal, if you have mild or no withdrawal symptoms go for it. Keep in mind that you may sweat a lot more than normal and your balance and coordination may also be altered (this is important because form is very important in these types of workouts do you don't injure yourself). I would take it slow the first couple of times and watch for any reactions. You may also want to get a general physical to make sure you don't have any medical complications from drinking especially if you have withdrawal symptoms.