Your Favorite Sneakers (using a generic all inclusive term lol)

Options
The little dance sneakers (New Balance) I've had for years are finally starting to wear out.

Looking for suggestions for a good multipurpose pair that will work for pretty much everything. I loved these because they were low profile, and very very light (i hate wearing shoes) but in all honesty, they probably didn't offer much in the way of arch support (normal arch).

Replies

• eek711
    eek711 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Brooks for running and hiit, My nike's for basket ball shoes and baseball spikes, and my New balance barefoots for the weight room.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    For lifting, I wear Adipower II olympic lifting shoes, for strongman events I like hiking boots (mine are super cheap from Walmart) and for running I like Fila running shoes. They are the only brand that really feel like they fit that doesn't break the bank.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    For lifting I love my chucks. For cardio when I'm forced to do it, my vibrams.
  • CharleneMarie723
    CharleneMarie723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Nike Free, 4.0 for running. Keeps me up on the balls of my feet.
  • wilsonunc
    wilsonunc Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have some merrills I got for sale. Great for running, I run 6 or 7 miles a few times per week and they are still in good shape after about 6 months :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    What are your main activities?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    mainly walking
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    If you like light shoes with minimal arch support, I'd recommend these: http://www.zappos.com/merrell-bare-access-arc-3-black-silver I run in mine. I call them my "magic running shoes" because when I bought them, I could run a minute per mile faster than in the "professionally fitted at the local running store" shoes I was in before. They don't really do anything to alter my stride or protect me from my bad habits. They do keep my feet safe from debris and mild weather (but not so much rain, they're mesh uppers).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am totally in love with my Sketchers Go Walk 2. They are very comfy slip-ons but have nice shock absorbing soles.
  • debbye001
    Options
    I love my memory foam sketchers
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Brooks Ghost. I have ghost 6 and ghost 7. reasonable price, wear well.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    For walking, any "zero heel" shoe that you find comfortable. The low heel gives a smoother gait (easier on the joints). Examples are Keds, Merrells, Converse, etc. Personally i do almost everything in Keds-type shoes, including short runs. I think you'd like Merrells, since they're light.
    As far as arch support, i'd keep it minimal unless you develop problems (pain). Arches have their own support muscles, which get weaker from external support (leads to foot problems).
  • spunmommy
    spunmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    New Balance Minimus. Hands down my favorite shoe ever. I have 4 pairs and I wear them for everything except work and social stuff.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm on my third pair of NB 1080 v3's strictly for running/walking. Your best bet isn't to ask random people on a message board though. Different people have different needs in shoes. Where I may have a perfect gait, but extra wide feet and be a heavy runner, you may be a light walker with a narrow foot and a high arch - we need totally different shoes!You need to go to a running shoe store and get fitted. Once you know your shoe, you can shop for lower prices online and at outlets, but for the first time, buy retail from a good, knowledgable shoe store. They will be able to find the right shoe for your foot and your activity.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I'm not driving 2 hours for shoes ;) I understand everyone likes/needs different things, which is why I expressed what I LIKED about my current shoes, so if someone likes something similar, they can say ' hey, look into these, they might work for you'.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For long distance running: Ecco Bioms
    For speed work: Inov-8 F-lites
    For lifting: New Balance Minimus

But my feet are not your feet, so what I like is pretty irrelevant. Try on as many pairs as you can, walk in them as much as the store will allow, and pay attention to how the shoe holds/supports your midfoot, how much room there is in the toe box, and whether or not the shoe feels like it's pushing your foot/leg in or out (think bowlegged)... then buy the ones that fit the best.
  • NicholeElizabeth92
    NicholeElizabeth92 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    debbye001 wrote: »
    I love my memory foam sketchers

^this I love anything with memory foam. Champions now has some cool ones that are all mesh and super light. I use them for hiking.
  • Ishkhara
    Ishkhara Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also love memory foam Skechers and the Go Walk range. I have two pairs of each. Fantastically comfy for walking - I'm a librarian so I'm on my feet a lot!
  • Brandification
    Brandification Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Asics for running
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I'm not driving 2 hours for shoes ;) I understand everyone likes/needs different things, which is why I expressed what I LIKED about my current shoes, so if someone likes something similar, they can say ' hey, look into these, they might work for you'.

Well, if you're using the shoes for things like walking and jogging then ensuring they are the proper shoe for your foot is important. A 2 hour drive beats the hell out of hurting your feet, knees, and hips. I got Brooks Glycerin because I was having issues with supination. It's almost time for a new pair, and I will be going to the running store to have my gait assessed before I purchase anything.