This is why we can't have nice things...

Options
A recent survey by the Oklahoma State University Department of Agricultural Economics finds that over 80 percent of Americans support “mandatory labels on foods containing DNA,” about the same number as support mandatory labeling of GMO foods “produced with genetic engineering.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/01/17/over-80-percent-of-americans-support-mandatory-labels-on-foods-containing-dna/

It seems that the American education system has failed the majority of Americans when it comes to scientific literacy. This makes me sad.

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    My parents vaccinated me and I have DNA too.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Um.
  • MayTehSporksBeWithYou
    Options
    My parents vaccinated me and I have DNA too.

Congrats to your parents... and everything that has ever lived has DNA.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Oh you Americans. Such an amusing people.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Is there any DNA in sugar ? olive oil ?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Haha, that is something else.
  • Alhara
    Alhara Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There isn't DNA in sugar, probably not in olive oil. Nor in salt. I'm going to write a cookbook telling people to eat a diet rich in foods that have DNA.
  • MayTehSporksBeWithYou
    MayTehSporksBeWithYou Posts: 47 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

No and sometimes.

Sugar is a crystalline simple carbohydrate.

On the other hand, olive oil may contains traces of DNA from the olives that are use in production. I actually just read a paper about DNA extraction from olive oil in order to determine purity.
  • Alhara
    Alhara Posts: 3 Member
    Options

No and maybe. Sugar is a crystalline simple carbohydrate. On the other hand, olive oil may contains traces of DNA from the olives that are use in production. I actually just read a paper about DNA extraction from olive oil in order to determine purity.

That's awesome, do you have a link to the olive oil DNA extraction paper? I assumed nucleic acids would break down in the process of making olive oil. I'm a bio nerd :)

• MayTehSporksBeWithYou
    Options
    Alhara wrote: »

No and maybe. Sugar is a crystalline simple carbohydrate. On the other hand, olive oil may contains traces of DNA from the olives that are use in production. I actually just read a paper about DNA extraction from olive oil in order to determine purity.

That's awesome, do you have a link to the olive oil DNA extraction paper? I assumed nucleic acids would break down in the process of making olive oil. I'm a bio nerd :)

Here's the abstract: http://world-food.net/isolation-of-dna-from-olive-oil-and-oil-sediments-application-in-oil-fingerprinting/

If you do a Google search for the title, you can directly download the PDF.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Alhara wrote: »

Cold-pressed?
  • maxwellnyce
    maxwellnyce Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is very troubling. This shows not only a lack of information, but also a strong propensity to be misguided by misinformation.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    A recent survey by the Oklahoma State University Department of Agricultural Economics finds that over 80 percent of Americans support “mandatory labels on foods containing DNA,” about the same number as support mandatory labeling of GMO foods “produced with genetic engineering.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/01/17/over-80-percent-of-americans-support-mandatory-labels-on-foods-containing-dna/

It seems that the American education system has failed the majority of Americans when it comes to scientific literacy. This makes me sad.

Well, GMO produced with genetic engineering could make sense, if you consider selective breeding a form of genetic modification.

Although I doubt that is what most people thought.

• jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of the woman who came into my place of work and asked if our beef was grass fed, then proceeded to ask if the chicken was grass fed as well. I told her yes and she seemed pleased.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    So DNA eating is also dirty eating now? (munches carrot) I feel so baaaaad.... (laughing myself stupid here)
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    "Polls repeatedly show that much of the public is often ignorant of both basic scientific facts, and basic facts about government and public policy."

Cure
    Do your homework. Study hard. Get an education. Quit being ignorant. Read food facts. Remember everything you read...because it will change in 2 years...then change back...then change back, etc., etc., etc.

• kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    AND I hear DNA gives you cancer.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    "Polls repeatedly show that much of the public is often ignorant of both basic scientific facts, and basic facts about government and public policy."

Cure
    Do your homework. Study hard. Get an education. Quit being ignorant. Read food facts. Remember everything you read...because it will change in 2 years...then change back...then change back, etc., etc., etc.

DNA doesn't change much, though. At least there is some consolation amidst it all.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    and here i thought the reason i couldnt have nice things was because i had kids. kids who know what DNA is, though.... so at least they're (seemingly) ahead of the game ;) LOLOLOLOL
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    .... unless you eat rocks or metals, everything you could eat has DNA. It all comes from sources that were once living plants or animals, or products made by said plants or animals.