Insanity

Options
Hey for those folks that have done Insanity....just looking for what you thought of it? Did it work or not? Was it too hard or was it a breeze? Was it worth the money or was it a waste? Did you just follow the DVD's or did you follow the food plan as well?

For all my Canadian friends in BC, London Drugs has Insanity & P90X (very limited quantity on the P90X) on sale 50% off, not sure for how long though......

Replies

• stevesfoods
    stevesfoods Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I Love Insanity. If you are not in shape it will kick your butt. I wish i had done p90X first tho. When I started Insanity I was barely able to walk through it but i stuck with it and now i can do about 80% of it. I have done it twice, then P90X twice and then a hybrid of the two of them. i did not follow the food plan but i eat clean anyway. if you want to lose weight then stick with it and dig deeper. Even if you feel like you suck at it and all you can do is walk or step when the peeps on the DVD are jogging high speed just dont give up. Stick with it and you will progress. So yes, it is worth it but only if you bring it and press play ever day, you have the tools in your hands so whatcha gonna do? :-)
  • PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Insanity is AMAZING and so worth it. It was the hardest workout I've ever done. I followed the workouts and the meal plan and my fitness levels went through the ROOF!

Feel free to friend me and ask me more questions! :)
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Did you see if P90X2 was at London Drugs? Thanks for the tip! I think Insanity is awesome, it will kick your butt for sure, but the more you do it, the better you get. Personally I only followed the fitness side of it. Same goes for P90X.
  • RoarkWD
    RoarkWD Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've done INSANITY twice now, love it! It is hard and the first time around it really showed me how out of shape I really was. I was huffing and puffing! It's not easy but it is so worth it. I actually saw my abs for the first time in my life part way through the first go round.
  • mzootie
    mzootie Posts: 133
    Options
    I've been through 2 rounds too. It put me in the best shape of my life. Did not follow meal plan but eat smart and you'll be ok. It can be hard on your knees at first with all the Plyo but you just do what you can. Soon you'll be able to "dig deeper". Best advice I can give you is: "Keep pushing play". Results will come no doubt
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I did a couple of rounds of insanity as well. It's a good workout, but as said above, it can be hard on your knees. It did get me lean.

I'm doing Spartacus now, mainly because with Insanity I was missing the weight work.

• Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your fabulous responses! I nearly didn't keep it until you all responded! I just need to get my fitness room in the basement tidied away and get rid of this cold/flu bug. The next step will be the "play" button lol.....
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I did a round of Insanity a few years ago, I also followed the meal plan. I was eating A LOT of food. I did not lose much weight at all (a few pounds), but my body totally changed. My blood pressure and resting heart rate also went down. For me, it was hard to stick with because the videos are so long, which I why I never did a second round of it. I just started this week with Insanity Max30, and I love it! Good luck to you!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Love it. The workouts are as hard as you make them. You can take breaks when you need them - even the people in the video have to take breaks. I've done the program all the way through only once when I first got it 2 years ago. I didn't lose any weight, but I also didn't follow the eating plan. I did lose some inches & my cardio was the best it had ever been. I got several PR's in my runs after the 2 months.

I still pop in a disc when I don't want to go to the gym, so I feel I've definitely gotten my money's worth from it.
  • stevesfoods
    stevesfoods Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As much as i love insanity this one has always bothered me. Does anyone understand what it means when Shaun says to recover between sets? Example: I do a set and my heart rate gets to 160, you get about 30 seconds to get to recovery heart rate. For me thats about 110. That does not happen for me in only 30 seconds. Should I hit pause and wait till my HR goes down or keep at it and ignore my heart rate?
  • 92Irene92
    92Irene92 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As much as i love insanity this one has always bothered me. Does anyone understand what it means when Shaun says to recover between sets? Example: I do a set and my heart rate gets to 160, you get about 30 seconds to get to recovery heart rate. For me thats about 110. That does not happen for me in only 30 seconds. Should I hit pause and wait till my HR goes down or keep at it and ignore my heart rate?

During recoveries, my HR never goes down to 110 (more like from 160 to 130). And that's enough for me to keep going. I dont know much about these things though, so...
  • sheltol
    sheltol Posts: 120 Member
    Options

There was a study that showed the people who allowed their heart rate to recovery more showed better cardiovascular improvements over those who didn't. However, almost every study has some variables that makes it questionable. I believe the catch on this one was that the participants who were new to fitness improved but the people who were already fit showed less improvements or the same whether they allowed their heart rate to recover more or not. As long as you start to see your heart rate drop during the recovery periods I would keep going.